Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM

24 posts, read 77,415 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon to all.

I have read and read through the posts and the list of neighborhoods in Baltimore, but don't feel comfortable enough to make a decision. If you were to move Howard County (particularly the area around Columbia Mall) or the Northern Virginia Kingstowne area of Alexandria (or the area around the mall in Boca Raton, FL for that matter) to a commutable area to Timonium yet also commutable to Baltimore, where would it be and what is the area called at the present time?

Situation:

Job offer in Timonium that will cause me to relocate from Alexandria, VA (Kingsotwne area) to somewhere closer, given the 1.5-2.5 hour commute from Alex.

Wife works in L'Enfant Plaza in DC. We considered and investigated, and investigated, and investigated, and looked at properties in Columbia due to how nice the area is, nice mall and, most importantly, great school ratings for most of Howard County High schools (particularly Howard HS). During our investigation, we learned that her commute into L'Enfant would be 1.5 hours at least (whether taking the MARC or the Bus), which would defeat the purpose of us moving to avoid a long commute. The next option being considered is wife working from Baltimore office or switching jobs to one closer.

Budget is around $250k for a nice condo or TH (2/2) or $1600-$1700 for a rental place. I saw some nice condos right next to the mall in Columbia that were my price range (gated community in Symphony).

Most important features sought are: Excellent high schools, comparable to Howard HS, nice upscale area. Of course the others are the obvious (i.e., low crime, etc., etc.).

I have not really looked into the City of Baltimore as I don't like that there is really not a "nice neighborhood" per say, with one street being a nice place and the next being a "not so nice" place, but I my perception is wrong, I'd welcome that comment as well.

Thanks in advance to each of you who respond to this thread with some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default That's a tall order

Let me once again promote Linthicum. Maybe not upscale enough but your budget isn't upscale either. If you need to get to D.C. on a daily basis, MARC and Amtrak run from BWI. Light rail to downtown Baltimore. And Timonium.
High schools? Who knows. But it can be researched.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
So the wife doesn't have to commute to DC?

Since you're just going to Timonium, Timonium itself seems pretty nice to me. Maybe Hunt Valley?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Let me once again promote Linthicum. Maybe not upscale enough but your budget isn't upscale either. If you need to get to D.C. on a daily basis, MARC and Amtrak run from BWI. Light rail to downtown Baltimore. And Timonium.
High schools? Who knows. But it can be researched.
Yup. Budget is not upscale (thanks to the real estate market where I can't unload my current home). I'd like a BMW on a Pinto budget.

Thanks for the response.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 AM

Moderator cut: Orphaned quote

I have thought of Owings Mills, that I am not too hot about Owings Mills HS' ratings. I am looking for schools with similar ratings than those in Howard County, which is my biggest priority.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-14-2010 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Removed orphaned quote/comment: The quoted post has been removed or edited.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:33 PM

342 posts, read 912,819 times
Towson maryland!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default My 2cents

I would take Boca Raton. Easier commute.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:37 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Stay in VA. If your kid tests well they can get into Thomas Jefferson.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM

54 posts, read 175,126 times
Look at Eldersburg/Sykesville--it's not far from Howard county (pr Owings Mills for that matter), has outstanding schools, but is more affordable. It's a very popular commuter area for both Timonium/Hunt Valley/Towson areas, as well as, Dc & the surrounding areas.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 PM

342 posts, read 912,819 times
Hunt valley md

accessible to the lightrail!!! You can take the lightrail to downtown baltimore and your wife can take amtrak to d.c.!! Hunt valley is beautiful!! Good living good shopping!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore