Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore a northern city?
yes 52 45.61%
no 62 54.39%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 09:53 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Seriously, though, have you guys looked into the Midwest? I think it would be a good fit for Baltimore.

-Slower pace
-Lower White ethnic % than Northeastern metros, but higher than southern ones
-Heavy influx of white southerners during early to mid 20th Century
-No Unitarian/Dutch/Quaker/Yankee establishment dating back to colonial times
-Midland speech with a "distinctly southern character"
-Baltimore pit beef, St. Louis ribs, etc.

The biggest obstacles would be...

-Large black population. More consistent with Deep South at MSA level.
-Southern history
-Architecture
-Chicken boxes

All in all, though, Baltimore fits rather neatly into the Midwest.
That's an interesting statement.

I'm originally from the Midwest, and Baltimore has always seemed kind of similar. Perhaps it being a similar size city to other midwestern cities. I usually categorize it with Cleveland, Cincinnati, and St. Louis.

The only thing I'm surprised by, is that you mentioned that Midwestern cities don't have large black populations? Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis all have large black populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:24 PM

194 posts, read 240,618 times
Quote:
Hmmm hmm...which is why there's so much argument about it. Where are the scores of New York Times articles addressing whether New York is a southern or northern city?

Yeah. Totally. I could totally see Boardwalk Empire or the Sopranos being set in Maryland.

Maryland has no MSA counties in New Jersey, but has several in Virginia. So I'd have to say Maryland has the most connections to and is most culturally similar to that state. Not too much Chesapeake Bay culture in Essex County.
Northern Virginia isn't Southern though. That's where your argument fails. And Baltimore is not Midwestern. Over and over again you lean on African American and Italian populations to prove your point. Baltimore may have a Southern history but it's not the South culturally politically or linguistically. Not even demographically due to its large German population and Italian American population significantly larger than the South. Also Baltimore is annexed from its county so those Italian figures could be misleading. It's only 50 miles south of Philly latitude wise. The university of Pennsylvania supports Baltimore and Philly having the same dialect. Baltimore resembles New York and Philly more industry wise. If Baltimore and DC are Southern from a modern standpoint then so is Southern Pennsylvania including Pittsburgh and Philly. You're living about 70 years in the past or more. And Cincinnati is a decidedly Midwestern city and Louisville is culturally and linguistically Southern. Your belief in the Mason-Dixon Line is ridiculous. You're willing to say Louisville is Northern before Baltimore. You're willing to say you have a better approximation of the southern dialect border than the University of Pennsylvania. You say the Ohio River isn't a solid boundary between cultures, which is a lie, but the MD PA border is. Your logic is amongst the most ridiculous of any city data user on here. And you feel the need to viciously attack and degrade those who point out flaws in your logic or disagree. Do us all a favor and just leave.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Northern Virginia isn't Southern though. That's where your argument fails. And Baltimore is not Midwestern. Over and over again you lean on African American and Italian populations to prove your point. Baltimore may have a Southern history but it's not the South culturally politically or linguistically. Not even demographically due to its large German population and Italian American population significantly larger than the South. Also Baltimore is annexed from its county so those Italian figures could be misleading. It's only 50 miles south of Philly latitude wise. The university of Pennsylvania supports Baltimore and Philly having the same dialect. Baltimore resembles New York and Philly more industry wise. If Baltimore and DC are Southern from a modern standpoint then so is Southern Pennsylvania including Pittsburgh and Philly. You're living about 70 years in the past or more. And Cincinnati is a decidedly Midwestern city and Louisville is culturally and linguistically Southern. Your belief in the Mason-Dixon Line is ridiculous. You're willing to say Louisville is Northern before Baltimore. You're willing to say you have a better approximation of the southern dialect border than the University of Pennsylvania. You say the Ohio River isn't a solid boundary between cultures, which is a lie, but the MD PA border is. Your logic is amongst the most ridiculous of any city data user on here. And you feel the need to viciously attack and degrade those who point out flaws in your logic or disagree. Do us all a favor and just leave.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Told you about those are kind of little games he plays

Old 11-30-2014, 01:04 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The only thing I'm surprised by, is that you mentioned that Midwestern cities don't have large black populations? Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Cincinnati, St. Louis all have large black populations.
That's not what I said. I said that Baltimore has a large Black population that's consistent with the Deep South at the MSA level. Detroit is the Blackest metro in the Midwest at 22.8%. Chicago is 18%, St. Louis is 18.4%, Cleveland is 20% and Cincinnati is 12%. Baltimore is 28.8%, which is slightly higher than Birmingham's % and slightly lower than Richmond's.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Baltimore feels more like a Southern city than Northeastern. Been there multiple times and I've been to Maine, Mass, RI, NYC, and NJ. Baltimore and Maryland in general is nothing like the Northeastern states that I've mentioned.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Check your inbox!

Quote:
That's not what I said. I said that Baltimore has a large Black population that's consistent with the Deep South at the MSA level. Detroit is the Blackest metro in the Midwest at 22.8%. Chicago is 18%, St. Louis is 18.4%, Cleveland is 20% and Cincinnati is 12%. Baltimore is 28.8%, which is slightly higher than Birmingham's % and slightly lower than Richmond's.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
There are some hoods in West and Southwest Philly that reminds me of Baltimore a lot.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:28 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
My friend and family from NY call Baltimore the 6th unofficial borough!
Well, considering that Bmore has to contend with Yonkers and Philly for the top spot as 6th borough, it has quite the fight ahead of it if that's what it's trying to do.

Yeah, you know, I always associated that East Coast Italian culture with Maryland SO MUCH.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycarver View Post
It's a great way to attract to tourism, that's for sure. Calling it just another drab northeastern city wouldnt attract too much attention. Marylanders are a shrewd bunch. Its the same way Louisiana claims to be French. It is an outlandish claim but they count the cash from each sucker who is fooled.
That's funny, because Franco-Americans actually are the largest White ethnic group in Louisiana. Must be some tourist trap strategy, though.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Northern Virginia isn't Southern though. That's where your argument fails. And Baltimore is not Midwestern. Over and over again you lean on African American and Italian populations to prove your point. Baltimore may have a Southern history but it's not the South culturally politically or linguistically. Not even demographically due to its large German population and Italian American population significantly larger than the South.
Funny, this dude put me on ignore so he couldn't see how I schooled him about the fact that three undoubtedly Southern cities have more Italians than Baltimore. Demographically, it's more in line with the Midwest considering the amount of Germans.

Quote:
Also Baltimore is annexed from its county so those Italian figures could be misleading. It's only 50 miles south of Philly latitude wise.
Latitude wise, Philadelphia and Spain are similar. Guess Spain must be in the Northeast!

Quote:
The university of Pennsylvania supports Baltimore and Philly having the same dialect. Baltimore resembles New York and Philly more industry wise.
And it includes DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore