Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,437,352 times

Advertisements

Come winter time, between the NFL and MLB, I was curious, does Baltimore follow and care about the NHL/NBA OR just NCAAB Maryland?

If you do root for an NHL team, which is it?
Some would think the Caps, since they are close by, however I know many Baltimore people dislike Washington, and therefor would think Philly (blue collar, nearby) might get the fans of Baltimore or Pittsburgh since they have many transplants.

What about NBA team fans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 02:54 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
I dont know too many people that like Hockey so i cant really answer... as far as basketball, most people i know like the celtics..personally, i like the knicks at the moment

Old 02-20-2011, 06:20 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
Caps and Terps hold us off until lacrosse season starts.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
If the South is a horrible fan base for Pro Football, then there isn't a viable pro sports town south of Philadelphia as it pertains to the NBA. Not only did the Bullets move from Baltimore to Washington, they changed their name to the "Wizards" which sounds like a youth-league soccer team. The only person I ever recall wearing any Wizards paraphernalia is when one time Mariah Carey wore a dress made out of a Wizards jersey.

I couldn't name a die-hard Wizards fan. Baltimore does not root for a franchise that bailed on them. Baltimore used to have its own ABA franchise as well. If a team were to locate in Baltimore then I think the fan base would be more loyal then the one in Washington, but Baltimoreans don't strike me as the type of fans that are going to root for a specific team (like the Sixers or Wizards) from cities that under any other terms would be considered rivals.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
If the South is a horrible fan base for Pro Football, then there isn't a viable pro sports town south of Philadelphia as it pertains to the NBA. Not only did the Bullets move from Baltimore to Washington, they changed their name to the "Wizards" which sounds like a youth-league soccer team. The only person I ever recall wearing any Wizards paraphernalia is when one time Mariah Carey wore a dress made out of a Wizards jersey.

I couldn't name a die-hard Wizards fan. Baltimore does not root for a franchise that bailed on them. Baltimore used to have its own ABA franchise as well. If a team were to locate in Baltimore then I think the fan base would be more loyal then the one in Washington, but Baltimoreans don't strike me as the type of fans that are going to root for a specific team (like the Sixers or Wizards) from cities that under any other terms would be considered rivals.

Summed it up perfectly. Maybe there are a couple intelligent Steeler fans out there

Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 AM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times
I have to agree. Baltimore is a football and baseball town (probably in that order, though a decade ago it was the reverse), with lacrosse and NCAA basketball to fill the void between seasons for some. I've met very few people here who even follow the NBA (much less die-hard fans) but have a handful of friends who like hockey. The tend to be either Caps or Pens fans depending on where they transplanted from. International soccer seems to have more of a following here than NHL or NBA based on the crowds I saw at bars last summer to watch the World Cup.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 PM

201 posts, read 589,780 times
None of the above. Is MJ still playing for the Wizards? I thought the NHL folded years ago.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:40 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecj View Post
Summed it up perfectly. Maybe there are a couple intelligent Steeler fans out there
Hey, I never had anything against the city of Baltimore and I go there every now and then. Remember, Baltimore and Pittsburgh didn't even become football rivals again (Colts and Stillers were in different decisions when they took the deal to come rule the AFC in the 70s after the AFL-NFL merger) until the Browns came from Cleveland. It the heart of the Stillers the Ravens just took the place of the Browns. Quite frankly, it isn't even mildly accurate to call what's going on with the expansion Browns a "rivalry".

Baltimore has always been a great basketball town and I think the 1st Mariner Arena (or at least its site) could be the best pro basketball venue in the NBA next to the Knicks (Madison Square Garden). But the fact that the arena is outdated doesn't even put Baltimore in the picture for the Hornets relocation sweepstakes. Pittsburgh's new arena looks favorably but when the NBA started putting teams in Sacramento, Orlando, Charlotte, and Oklahoma City it was clear that they weren't looking for actual fans but just for new arenas. Real sports cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh don't get much love in the t-shirt cannon era of the NBA. I'll go for a fix but I've seen operating rooms less quiet and sterile than the Verizon Center.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Hey, I never had anything against the city of Baltimore and I go there every now and then. Remember, Baltimore and Pittsburgh didn't even become football rivals again (Colts and Stillers were in different decisions when they took the deal to come rule the AFC in the 70s after the AFL-NFL merger) until the Browns came from Cleveland. It the heart of the Stillers the Ravens just took the place of the Browns. Quite frankly, it isn't even mildly accurate to call what's going on with the expansion Browns a "rivalry".

Baltimore has always been a great basketball town and I think the 1st Mariner Arena (or at least its site) could be the best pro basketball venue in the NBA next to the Knicks (Madison Square Garden). But the fact that the arena is outdated doesn't even put Baltimore in the picture for the Hornets relocation sweepstakes. Pittsburgh's new arena looks favorably but when the NBA started putting teams in Sacramento, Orlando, Charlotte, and Oklahoma City it was clear that they weren't looking for actual fans but just for new arenas. Real sports cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh don't get much love in the t-shirt cannon era of the NBA. I'll go for a fix but I've seen operating rooms less quiet and sterile than the Verizon Center.
technically the Ravens are an expansion team. the brown are a "RE ACTIVATED" team.

and the Staples Center is the best basketball venue..IMO

Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
The Ravens are the Browns. The new Browns are well, just bad. I love to read media stories that state that the Steeler - Raven rivalry began in 1996; as though the greatest rivalry in pro sports just materialized out of the aether one day. The animosity between the teams was the same before they stepped on the plane in Cleveland, and after they got off at BWI.

Same owners, same front office, same players (until Stover left.) I don't care what whitewashing of history the NFL tried to create to convince people that the new Browns are real Browns and these Ravens characters are some expansion team - it isn't true. My all-team Ravens team has Otto Graham at quarterback, Jim Brown at RB, Jonathan Ogden at LT, and Ed Reed at FS and so on. They would be VERY tough to beat.

Now to answer the question, MD is a college basketball state, like our Southern neighbors. Pro ball is just a diversion. Don't know much personally about hockey or what they think of it in Baltimore. I just know I can never find the darn puck on TV which makes watching it pretty boring. I saw a game live once in DC, it was pretty neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore