Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishgirl29 View Post
Dear All, ... I am back in the UK having spent 15 months working in Kentucky, Georgia and South Carolina, and I was invited for BBQ and Dinner, but it always ended in tears.....I do not think that being poor is something to be ashamed of, and that health care should be free. I do not believe that every word of the bible is true either. So I do not wish to be inadvertently offensive to my new neighbors.
Followed by the immediate right-wing backlash with the snarky use of "Britgal":

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Because we don't like to be publically [sic] insulted because of our political affiliation?

If you or Britgal wants to go on-line and start insulting people based on group affiliation, then you should expect some backlash.
Followed in turn by the "make-nice:"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I don't think Britishgirl was attacking anyone. Once she mentioned where she previously lived I think everyone got where she was coming from. That had to be quite the culture shock. ... Anyway, the particular brand of, er, passionate conservatism you ran into is not that common in many large east coast cities. Some people may feel that way but they would not be quite so strident about it in polite company ...
westsideboy is from Cumberland — what area could be demographically closer to Kentucky, Georgia, or South Carolina? He is strident about most things and apparently is unfamiliar with polite company.

If Britishgirl survived Kentucky, Baltimore will be a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,021 times
Quote:
Dear All,

I am moving to Baltimore, am female, british and 29, any ideas where i should live. My only proviso is that Right wing christian funadmentalist and Republicans scare me. I would also like to be in the City rather than the county, thanks

Any ideas?

British Girl
I'll give you 3 days. After living amongst the animals of the left you'll wished you were a conservative. I suggest you don't buy a car or anything of value with the exception of maybe a Ruger Redhawk in .44, good democrat medicine.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Followed by the immediate right-wing backlash with the snarky use of "Britgal":

Followed in turn by the "make-nice:"

westsideboy is from Cumberland — what area could be demographically closer to Kentucky, Georgia, or South Carolina? He is strident about most things and apparently is unfamiliar with polite company.

It seems to me that you are the one with rudeness problem. I think I remember you calling me a "classless hillbilly" in another thread. Is that your version of liberal compassion?

And what is snarky about Britgal? People call me WSB, Westy, all sorts of things. Who cares, they are all aliases anyway.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post

Are you mofo serious right now?! First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about. Cumberland is in Northern Appalachia. Georgia and South Carolina are deep south and have an extremely large black population. You obviously won't find that in Cumberland. Kentucky is in the Bible Belt. Cumberland is not. Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky are all overwhelmingly Baptist. Allegany County is majority Catholic, followed by Methodist. Demographically close? Not a chance!

Allegany County is majority Republican, but so is every county in the state that hasn't been thoroughly suburbanized. Carroll County, minutes from Baltimore, is the most heavily Republican county in the state. For your information, Allegany County has a fairly sizable population of Democrats for a rural area and has a growing community of hipster/artsy people moving here for the scenic beauty and quality of life.

I'd also like to add that Cumberland is two hours from three major cities. While it is definitely backwoods, especially by East Coast standards, it's not all that far removed from "civilization."

It really amazes me sometimes how some people can be so ignorant and truly have no respect for a rural lifestyle. Condescending people like you are the reason why so many Mountain Marylanders view downstaters in a negative light.

drs72
born and raised Allegany County native
Proud Democrat and liberal

Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,499 times
You want a three bedroom apartment?

Baltimore's advantage is that it's cheap. Far cheaper than London, for example. DC and New York are closer to London in rents.

Baltimore's also relatively compact and easy to get around. 20 minutes from Mount Vernon to the horse country (some of the best horse country in the US is north of Baltimore. You will find plenty of riding stables).

Baltimore has a small but decent rowing club. You may also want to consider taking up sailing as Baltimore has two popular sailing clubs and it's a good way to meet people.

You will be happy in Baltimore as long as you find the crowd that makes you happy, and these people do exist in Baltimore - young, urban based, progressive, liberal. Some of them even hate Republicans.

The downside to Baltimore is that it's a low key city. You aren't going to have the buzz of London with seemingly thousands of dining options of all ethnicities within a few blocks. You won't get an extensive public transport system, which makes private car ownership nearly a must. The upside is that it's much cheaper to live here and you can have a larger apartment in a pleasant area at a fraction of the price in the more popular cities. Baltimore does offer enough culture to make life here interesting, but you must seize it and go out of your way to meet people.

If you haven't been to Baltimore before it's well worth the visit. Rent a car. Drive around the city. Check out the neighborhoods. Talk to people.

Quote:
okay more information....
I work from home mainly, and tend to pop in to the Companies rather than have a office there. So I need a property to rent initially then buy if in the right area.

I have a dog who needs exercise
Have to have at least one large room for work, I have 8 monitors set up at present and could do with more.

3 + bedrooms, one for me, one for guests (a soon as I land I will be plagued with the great and good wanting to visit Baltimore-it is Simon David to blame, the Wire is huge in the UK). And finally one for my clothes, I have a lot of clothes, Shoes, Handbags-tragic but I do.

Large Kitchen, with Dining space and preferably two reception rooms, one formal and one for the TV.
Also need Utility area for washing machine etc.

I am prepared to sign a 12 month lease.

As I work from home, it can be isolating so a neighbourhood where I am likely to meet people would be great, I like Greek, Italian, Spanish, Argentinian, Turkish and Ertirean food, and am very stomach orientated.

I also ride horses in London, which I am sad to leave but my sister is delighted to be able to say that she has horses now. Obviously purchasing a horse is too much a commitment to start but some stables would be great. I also rowed for my College at University so are there Rowing Clubs in Baltimore (okay I am being lazy I should just google it). I am a member of a rowing Club in London, so it would be nice to continue this.

My friend in NY has looked over my Health Insurance and said that it is Excellent, so being British My family Doctor is 5 minutes away on foot, My father is a Dentist, and says I should go to a Mr Tigani in Washington (sadly not much help if i am in pain in Baltimore). So close to good services would be great.

Thanks again

Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 AM

226 posts, read 413,851 times
Are you looking for a weekend social scene or an out the front door hip neighborhood? If a weekend social scene is good enough, I'd really suggest splitting the distance between DC and Baltimore. Drive 30 minutes into work M-F and then run 35 minutes into DC for the weekends.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
There is a great social scene in Baltimore, much more laid back then dc. I've been living in Baltimore for 10 years, and still have tons of great restaurants I haven't tried yet. Last night I just went to a new Pho/noodle house....terrific.

Plus I think living in our burbs between DC and bmore would make a person from London absolutely miserable. I live in Federal Hill, and every day is great and unique, but if I want to stay in and do nothing, you always can.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonoBoBoNoMo View Post
I'll give you 3 days. After living amongst the animals of the left you'll wished you were a conservative. I suggest you don't buy a car or anything of value with the exception of maybe a Ruger Redhawk in .44, good democrat medicine.
I used to find it annoying that "Conservatives" assume all Liberals are anti-gun. Now, I find it refreshing. I'm a Liberal, and I pack. In fact, I know more Liberals with guns than I do Conservatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post

Plus I think living in our burbs between DC and bmore would make a person from London absolutely miserable. I live in Federal Hill, and every day is great and unique, but if I want to stay in and do nothing, you always can.
Well, I am from the U.S., and I find it boring myself (currently in Howard County).

Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM

226 posts, read 413,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
There is a great social scene in Baltimore, much more laid back then dc. I've been living in Baltimore for 10 years, and still have tons of great restaurants I haven't tried yet. Last night I just went to a new Pho/noodle house....terrific.

I guess it depends on what you want from a social scene. I can't speak with authroityon the Baltmore scene, because I didn't spend much time on it, but the DC scene is up my alley personally.

I guess to me a better description mught be party scene? THe nightclubs, Adams Morgan, the Georgetown Bars, the Capitol Hill bars, Dupont, the hundred of people that just hang out on the National Mall in the summer and all the international tourists. That's the place to be for someone who is trying to reach out and experience a borad varietyof new people, IMHO.

The Mall especially. Way back when I was a Marine back at 8th and I, we used to go running down the Mall in the summer and it was always buzzing. Not just the tourists hitting the Museums either. There were always people playing hackey sack and frisbee down the main strip, college girls sunbathing on the grass patches (a real bonus for a plt of 30 young guys on a run ), open invite flag football, volleyball etc games over near the reflecting pool. You could definitely just wander over there on a Saturday morning and meet a ton of cool people.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:03 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Are you mofo serious right now?! First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about. Cumberland is in Northern Appalachia. Georgia and South Carolina are deep south and have an extremely large black population. You obviously won't find that in Cumberland. Kentucky is in the Bible Belt. Cumberland is not. Georgia, South Carolina, and Kentucky are all overwhelmingly Baptist. Allegany County is majority Catholic, followed by Methodist. Demographically close? Not a chance!

Allegany County is majority Republican, but so is every county in the state that hasn't been thoroughly suburbanized. Carroll County, minutes from Baltimore, is the most heavily Republican county in the state. For your information, Allegany County has a fairly sizable population of Democrats for a rural area and has a growing community of hipster/artsy people moving here for the scenic beauty and quality of life.

I'd also like to add that Cumberland is two hours from three major cities. While it is definitely backwoods, especially by East Coast standards, it's not all that far removed from "civilization."

It really amazes me sometimes how some people can be so ignorant and truly have no respect for a rural lifestyle. Condescending people like you are the reason why so many Mountain Marylanders view downstaters in a negative light.

drs72
born and raised Allegany County native
Proud Democrat and liberal
Thanks for the sticking up for our county. A Crick Democrat? Now that is bravery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore