Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,494 times

Advertisements

Hello All!
My husband and I are likely moving to Baltimore in June, and I am totally overwhelmed with neighborhood searching! He will be working on Johns Hopkins med. school campus, and we would like to be within a twenty minute commute. We prefer more 'small community' feel. We own our own home right now, and would prefer to rent a private home or duplex as opposed to a large complex.
In a neighborhood, I am primarily looking for safety. We need to be under $1500 a month for a two bedroom. Please help!! Any neighborhood advice is greatly appreciated.

Lindsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM

252 posts, read 425,425 times
In the city, you could get a small community feel and be within 20 minutes in a lot of neighborhoods. Eastern/Southern Federal Hill or Locust Point would give a small community feel, be safe, and be within a short commute. Parking would be a bit easier there too. Do you have kids? That would likely drive where you are looking at. If you want the suburbs, you should stay North or East of the city but probably in Baltimore county to stay within 20 minutes of Hopkins.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Give us a little more description... this is a big area. Are you looking to be around great restaurants you can walk to? Are you interested in a somewhat urban environment?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinnyLou23 View Post
...working on Johns Hopkins med. school campus
...we would like to be within a twenty minute commute.
How fast do you like to walk?
(eg: Canton, Patterson Park, Fells Pt etc are all well under 2 miles)

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,494 times
Ok sorry, I wrote this while totally overwhelmed. The areas that are safe and good right downtown are obvious to me, fells point, canton, etc. We don't really want to be within the city though, I'm a country girl, and my husband likes the small town feel. We will have cars so, while we are looking at the walking distance locations, we are wanting to know the areas we should investigate that are slightly further out. I know about Towson and Catonsville and Ellicott City, but aside from those I'm at a total loss. I know nothing about the south side or east side of the city, and the North side seems sketchy. Again we're mostly looking for a safe neighborhood. We don't have kids yet, so schools are not a concern. We like having things conveniently around us, ie stores and restaurants, but we're not against driving a small bit to get to places we like. We are going there this weekend, and I'm trying to figure out what towns I should go investigate/drive around while we're there. So i guess I would ask what you would say are the top five safest places to live in the surrounding baltimore area? Again, preferably within a twenty minute drive of J.H. med school campus

Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM

187 posts, read 364,201 times
Check along the I-83 N and I-95 NE corridors. Twenty minutes from Hopkins on 83N (with no traffic) would get you to Cockeysville. Twenty minutes up 95 would get you to White Marsh. People like these places.

I can't speak for what happens when you go South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore