Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:43 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiva View Post
I'm Black and there is definitely truth to it. Black residents of Baltimore City need to start taking responsibility for their actions and their non-ambitious way of living. I feel that too many of my people depend upon these politicians to fix all of their problems. Just because we have desegregation, it doesn't mean that we can kick back and relax!!

I get the gist of what folks are saying...I have a question though.. What makes a black person who is working hard paying their taxes, raising their kids, voluteering, etc responsible for the actions of another black person who is not doing those things? Is it fair to say that the failings of some blacks, who are "causing problems", it is the responsibility of these "other" blacks who may be more successful and thus they SHOULD go out and somehow convince their brothers and sisters who causing these problems to get their act together? Even if this occurs what is the likelihood that it would actually work with people you dont know.. no more than a white person going to other whites whom they dont know and making similar demands and expecting them to change something ?

All that being said.. I am not saying DONT go out and volunteer, be a mentor, or donate money to charities.. but the challenge is it takes two.. and at the end of the day we are responsible for our own actions and those we feel a connection and are responsible for.

**Sorry this is just a general comment for the forum.. I accidentally connected it to your post**

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-22-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:03 AM

25 posts, read 53,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I get the gist of what folks are saying...I have a question though.. What makes a black person who is working hard paying their taxes, raising their kids, voluteering, etc responsible for the actions of another black person who is not doing those things? Is it fair to say that the failings of some blacks, who are "causing problems", it is the responsibility of these "other" blacks who may be more successful and thus they SHOULD go out and somehow convince their brothers and sisters who causing these problems to get their act together? Even if this occurs what is the likelihood that it would actually work with people you dont know.. no more than a white person going to other whites whom they dont know and making similar demands and expecting them to change something ?

All that being said.. I am not saying DONT go out and volunteer, be a mentor, or donate money to charities.. but the challenge is it takes two.. and at the end of the day we are responsible for our own actions and those we feel a connection and are responsible for.

**Sorry this is just a general comment for the forum.. I accidentally connected it to your post**
The only people who should be responsible for Black people who don't wanna improve their lives are the parents of these people. You don't have to be successful to realize that TANF and section 8 housing shouldn't be permanent. If someone was to look at my income and where I live in Baltimore, they certainly wouldn't think successful. I'm working on improving my life (saving money to go back to college). I would never tell another Black person that I do not know that they should get their lives together.

They'd probably say to me: "Mind your own business" or assume that I don't know how it is to be low-income & Black without zero knowledge of my current income status.

No offense taken by the way for the accidental quote of this post.

Last edited by ddiva; 03-27-2013 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Why does Baltimore need to be a "world class" city anyway?

**Seriously!! What is wrong with aspiring to be WORLD CLASS? Is that a crime or something?
__________________________________________________ ___________________-
Not at all. But I think many get the impression, myself included that this will transfom Baltimore into another DC, which would in turn cause Charm City to lose it's down to earth appeal. I am all for improving the current ammenities I E public transit, infrastructure, etc, but without erasing the city's unique character.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Smh?! So much down-to-earth that they are living beneath it!! DC is the ****!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Not at all. But I think many get the impression, myself included that this will transfom Baltimore into another DC, which would in turn cause Charm City to lose it's down to earth appeal. I am all for improving the current ammenities I E public transit, infrastructure, etc, but without erasing the city's unique character.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

What makes a black person who is working hard paying their taxes, raising their kids, voluteering, etc responsible for the actions of another black person who is not doing those things? Is it fair to say that the failings of some blacks, who are "causing problems", it is the responsibility of these "other" blacks who may be more successful and thus they SHOULD go out and somehow convince their brothers and sisters who causing these problems to get their act together?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 PM

MOST SUCCESSFUL BLACKS DON'T CARE!! MOST ARE SCARED OF THESE HARDENED BLACK YOUTH!! Most successful negores want what wealthy white folks have.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
What makes a black person who is working hard paying their taxes, raising their kids, voluteering, etc responsible for the actions of another black person who is not doing those things? Is it fair to say that the failings of some blacks, who are "causing problems", it is the responsibility of these "other" blacks who may be more successful and thus they SHOULD go out and somehow convince their brothers and sisters who causing these problems to get their act together?
But they're not your brothers and sisters except in the most overtly racial sense. Disassociate yourself from them and from their culture. When you give them tacit approval by saying that they are your brothers, you create the notion that all Blacks are of one kind. In this case, don't be surprised that most Whites don't want to have anything to do with you.

This kind of thing was a key factor in the ruin of baltimore. During the fires of 1968, Black leaders were so determined to be anti-White that they refused to condemn Black thugs. As you may know, this brought national prominence to Spiro Agnew, who spoke out against these dysfunctional Black leaders and thereby caught the eye of Richard Nixon. Nixon was running for president at the time and needed someone on his ticket to counter the influence of George Wallace -- hence, we got vice president Spiro Agnew, a crook and a truly despicable man.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:24 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Pay them wages that they can actually live on and address the obvious drug problem that exisits.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
How about we just be responsible for ourselves and our immediate circle? Black people, like every other race, couldn't care less about the next person.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:43 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
All people are more alike then we are different. Hopefully someday more people will understand that. Society will benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore