Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM

41 posts, read 118,278 times

Advertisements

Hello: I am new to this type of Forum and probably a little older than most of the people on it. I am considering moving to Baltimore, from Detroit, Michigan. This location was suggested to me by a close family member. My position at GM hs been outsourced and I am searching for a new life adventure in a new State. I am a Widow with 3 daughters, 3 son-in-laws and six grandchildren. They will continue to reside in Detroit. I am a African-American Woman and my Family is Interracial.

I have an active lifestyle in Detroit that includes: Ballroom Dancing, Theatre, Concerts and Plays. I would like a city that offers good entertainment, nice shopping malls, not to rural, upbeat, and fun. Also, tell me about the "Dating Scene" there for adults over 40?

I am a very outgoing college educated person. I have a degree in Social Work and I am seeking a part-time position. I am interested in leasing/purchasing a home or Condo in a nice area that is diverse. Tell me, What say you Baltimore!! Any suggestions you give will be considered seriously. Have a Bless Day!!

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-08-2008 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: I did it for you, :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
What say you Houston???? Not sure if you mean Baltimore or Houston?

Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM

I am seeking information concerning Houston and Baltimore. I will edit my message if necessary. Thank you for your reply Jonjj.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:27 AM

260 posts, read 842,489 times
There should be a lot of places in the Baltimore area that fit your description of what your looking for. Ashburton which is located in Baltimore City has a reputation for attracting successful and prominent African Americans. However, I'm pretty sure the neighborhood is almost completely black so it's not really that diverse. The Ten Hills neighborhood, also located in the city has some beautiful homes and from what I've seen it is very racially integrated. Columbia in Howard County is viewed as very desirable and I think it has a reputation for diversity. The Colonial Village neighborhood is located in the community of Pikesville which is located in Baltimore County. It has a good mix of Jews, African-Americans, and I've noticed there seem to be some Hispanics moving in as well. It also happens to be where I live.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:53 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Patterson Park area is very diverse and a rising neighborhood in the city to consider.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:04 PM

ONEWORLD25 AND JONJJ:

Thank you for the suggestions on locations in your fine city. Baltimore is one of the cites that comes highly recommended by many! Detroit is/was a great city, but so much is happening now that I have decided to venture out to find another middle-class hub. The job situation here is really bad and disappointing. My plan is to move to Baltimore because my grandchildren need to make choices in their lives and I personally feel that they need to be aware that other cities may offer them more than the Detroit Metro Area. Thank you every so much for your wonderful information. The social climate of Detroit has changed so badly. I am really tired of the low-class names that are aimed at me; as old as I am, my children, and my grandchildren. Gang activity is now in the Middle-Class neighborhoods. They have money to purchase property in Detroit's very nice areas while the professional workers are paying taxes, and now just exiting. I know that vile behavior is everywhere, but in depressed areas, more apathy is voiced and viewed. My decision to move has been decided many years ago.

I am really looking forward to this move!! Are there any areas where I can rent/lease a home for about $1200.00 a month. Any information you give me will be appreciated. Have a Bless Day!!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:11 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
ONEWORLD25 AND JONJJ:

Thank you for the suggestions on locations in your fine city. Baltimore is one of the cites that comes highly recommended by many! Detroit is/was a great city, but so much is happening now that I have decided to venture out to find another middle-class hub. The job situation here is really bad and disappointing. My plan is to move to Baltimore because my grandchildren need to make choices in their lives and I personally feel that they need to be aware that other cities may offer them more than the Detroit Metro Area. Thank you every so much for your wonderful information. The social climate of Detroit has changed so badly. I am really tired of the low-class names that are aimed at me; as old as I am, my children, and my grandchildren. Gang activity is now in the Middle-Class neighborhoods. They have money to purchase property in Detroit's very nice areas while the professional workers are paying taxes, and now just exiting. I know that vile behavior is everywhere, but in depressed areas, more apathy is voiced and viewed. My decision to move has been decided many years ago.

I am really looking forward to this move!! Are there any areas where I can rent/lease a home for about $1200.00 a month. Any information you give me will be appreciated. Have a Bless Day!!
You would be right on target (with your budget) to live in my neighborhood. I live in Pigtown and own a business here. I'm also raising my son here, and we have an excellent elementary school in the neighborhood (not sure how old your grandchildren are) but you'd want to look into a charter or private school for middle and high school. We're a diverse community (racial, economic, etc...) and it's very easy to meet your neighbors and make friends here.

For 1200 a month, you could get a 2 or 3 BR 2 BA house on 2 or 3 levels...probably with a finished basement and nicely redone.

Also, you mentioned that you're a social worker -- the University of MD School of Social Work isn't far from here. I have quite a few customers who are either students or professors there.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:02 AM

6 posts, read 11,864 times
Hello my friend,
There are many areas to live if you wish to live in Baltimore City. I highly recommend Howard Park, Ashburton and Roland Park. There are other areas but I am most familiar with these communities. I definitely suggest checking the crime statistics in whatever area you are considering... I personally frown on the idea of a town home in the majority of neighborhoods. You never know who may move next door to you... This is just my personal opinion.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:18 PM

934 posts, read 1,061,677 times
I live in Patterson Park and I second that it is an excellent neighborhood and could be a great choice for you. $1200 could get you a small rowhouse here. It's very diverse. My block is about an even split between white, black, and Latino and a good mix of ages as well. There are many young single professionals like myself, but there are also young families with small children and older adults that have lived in their houses for many generations - infants to senior citizens and everything in between.

I don't know much about the dating scene for adults over 40, but I can tell you that Baltimore has the other things you are seeking as far as a social life is concerned. My roommate is a dancer and she goes swing dancing regularly. There is great theater here. I've seen several productions at Center Stage (which is in Mount Vernon, where there are also several art museums and other cultural attractions) and they have been great. I also find the restaurant scene in Baltimore overall to be pretty excellent.

As far as shopping, if you live in Patterson Park, the shops at Canton Crossing would be very close by. I love having Canton Crossing practically walking distance to my house. It has a grocery store, a Target, a DSW, an Old Navy, a high end liquor store, a LOFT, and a few great dining options, among other things. There are also two very large malls (Towson Town Center and The Mall in Columbia) within short driving distance.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:26 PM

45 posts, read 93,337 times
OP lasted posted SEVEN YEARS AGO.
I think she's probably settled down by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore