Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 AM

226 posts, read 363,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
Let's hope it's dismissed. With MICA literally across the street now, the possibility is endless for that area. A great development maybe like they have on St Paul with a bookstore, cafes ans apartments would be a home run.

Good point, I think the neighborhood development would really accelerate should the city be able to shut down madison park north. I think it would help to maybe even merge bolton hill and reservoir hill which would be good for both neighborhoods. The city should even think about narrowing that stretch of north ave between mount royal and eutaw place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM

855 posts, read 1,172,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
Good point, I think the neighborhood development would really accelerate should the city be able to shut down madison park north. I think it would help to maybe even merge bolton hill and reservoir hill which would be good for both neighborhoods. The city should even think about narrowing that stretch of north ave between mount royal and eutaw place.
I agree--especially with the point about North avenue being too wide on that stretch. If the apts were demolished and the road was narrowed it would be a great thing for both res hill and bolton hill.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:13 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
Yeah for sure. A good shopping center would have people wanting to cross the street and slowing the road down and adding some nice streetscaping would make it much more walkable. Looks like Res Hill could really be on it's way if MPN goes down and something nice is built on Druid Lake.

I think it's worth noting that MPN's elimination won't only help Res Hill but also Madison Park, and Station North and potentially a lot of the Druid Hill to Mondawmin area.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Plus the city has some upcoming developments for druid hill park as well. As part of federal law they have to secure water systems that are exposed to open air like the druid lake reservoir and ashburton amoung others. Well the city was going to cover the reservoir but many reservoir hill residents fought against the plan citing a drop in property values. Well the city is now proposing covering a small edge of the lake and taking the reservoir out of the public water supply system. They will keep the reservoir open and feed it with another lake within the park. There is a lake within the park that used to be open to the public located near the zoo area. This other lake used to have paddle boats and lots of other recreational activities for the community. They are proposing to reopen this lake and possibly even allow people to use paddle boats again. Plus the city will redo the fountain in the reservoir as well. Additionally it looks like they are currently building new baseball diamond and new outdoor stadium seating in the park as well. Im thinking they may try to host a few shows or concerts there in the future.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 PM

569 posts, read 1,442,092 times
I think selling it to a grocery store chain would be the best. There seem to be a shortage of affordable grocery stores in the inner city. If I were a resident I would appreciate having the convenience or having a Giant or Super Fresh nearby.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM

206 posts, read 472,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Some years ago an acquaintance in Reservoir Hill mentioned that the building was owned by an elderly Jewish man who lived in one of front apartments with the large sun porches and left the rest of the building empty. I don't know if there's truth in it or whether it was based on speculation, but I've driven past the building a few times at night and did observe that lights were only on in one apartment in the front while all the other windows were dark. Then the other day I saw an elderly white man come out of the building.

Hmm...perhaps there's truth to the story. Can you shine any light into it?
Don't know about the Jewish part (though the age would be right) but that story is true. The property was briefly listed for sale in 2011. And I hear it's still beautiful inside.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
The homeowner's association states that ...
Nothing wrong with the content from the rest of the message, but ... that thing you think is a homeowners association ... most definitely is not.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Well the city is now proposing covering a small edge of the lake and taking the reservoir out of the public water supply system. They will keep the reservoir open and feed it with another lake within the park. There is a lake within the park that used to be open to the public located near the zoo area.
It sounds great as a plan but I haven't heard an explanation yet for where the water to refill the lake is coming from. If Boat Lake is spring-fed then it's got nowhere near enough supply to cover evaporation from Druid Lake. Druid is probably 40 times the surface area (maybe a shade less after the tank project) and doesn't have the tree cover either.

Just saying we should get a firm answer about water supply before getting too excited.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remstone View Post
It sounds great as a plan but I haven't heard an explanation yet for where the water to refill the lake is coming from. If Boat Lake is spring-fed then it's got nowhere near enough supply to cover evaporation from Druid Lake. Druid is probably 40 times the surface area (maybe a shade less after the tank project) and doesn't have the tree cover either.

Just saying we should get a firm answer about water supply before getting too excited.

Not sure why u would wanna bash the home owner's association but ok...Im not an engineer and im sure most residents of the neighborhood are unaware of this issue, maybe you should bring it to the attention of the authorities. What other options do residents have?

Old 04-04-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Not sure why u would wanna bash the home owner's association but ok.
Not even bashing - it categorically is not composed as and does not act like a homeowners association. It can do good and bad things here. But if you're assuming it will act one way when you're not looking, there's a good reason to believe it may act another way.

Quote:
Im not an engineer and im sure most residents of the neighborhood are unaware of this issue, maybe you should bring it to the attention of the authorities. What other options do residents have?
A couple active voices have definitely brought it up, but there haven't been public discussions in a while that would make clear the city has an answer. Residents just need to be aware and ask the questions when we get the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore