Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 10:05 AM

226 posts, read 413,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
The block is fine!! One of the last red light districts in America.
Is that supposed to be a good thing? Just because that seedy collection of smut shops and strip joints evokes nostalgia does NOT mean that it is "good" for Baltimore or it's development.

Quote:
I really like the original, old gritty feel of that corner on the Block. I think I want to set up shop right here. Right between the "Darkest Hole Club" and "P.J. McTitty's" Hey, go ask that pregnant girl smoking in front of the liquor store if she knows where the real estate office is.
-Said no investor ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:14 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
I'll play:

1) Decrease property taxes.. Clear enough.
2) Invest $$ into supervised after school programs and sports activities. Not just streetball courts to roll dice on the side. Including tutoring and educational assistance programs.
3) Continue with the vacant lots to homes program. Sell the city owned vacant homes to non profits such as Habitat for Humanity for cheap. Continue the NSP 2 government funding. Last year 40 Habitat homes were created on East Jefferson and Orchard Ridge development due to government funding.
4) Landlords need to get over the pipe dream of becoming rich and do something with their vacant properties. Sitting around for years waiting for the "Developer" to rejuvenate the neighborhood to make a buck is obviously not happening.
5) Baltimore Bullets: This is a basketball city, Marylander's loved their basketball team. Bring an NBA team to Baltimore and watch what happens.
6) Police officers in every single neighborhood. Show your presence that your not playing around. Baltimore folks have very little faith in BPD. This is not to say they are not trying, who knows.
7) Outside corporations and investors need to bring industry and small businesses back to the city.

Im sure there is more but this is a start.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:22 PM

226 posts, read 413,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
I'll play:

7) Outside corporations and investors need to bring industry and small businesses back to the city.

Im sure there is more but this is a start.
This. It seems to me, one of the problems for Baltimore and several other cities is the demise of blue collar. These cities fancy themselves as blue collar and want to hold onto that culture and idea, but outsourcing has killed off a bunch of those jobs.

Tough to be a blue collar city when all the factories are in Chinexico.

Something needs to come in and replace that stuff.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:35 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I have no idea what was being communicated here (perhaps to my benefit).

EDIT: Nevermind, now I get it.
Transvestite= Man dressed in women's clothing.
Pre-op= Man taking drugs/hormones to make his physical appearance more closely resemble that of a woman.
Post-op= Formerly male, now having had surgery to remove male sexual organs, possibly having had female-appearing organs created, probably still taking drugs/hormones to increase female characteristics.
Prostitute= I'm pretty sure you're familiar with this one.

Persons who solicit the services of the above= perhaps your friends and neighbors. There's a lot of sick, twisted stuff in this little town.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 PM

148 posts, read 242,562 times
Move out and never look back. I won't willingly spend a dime there, now what the State gives them from the money they pinch me for is something else, I can't get around.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"The block needs to go... By the time I left the Power Plant every dreg, thug, low life and his brother were down there wandering around like zombies.."

***What time did the Power Plant close with their "roped off" cattle and monkey style behavior? 1 am??!! The block is fine!! One of the last red light districts in America. What needs to be duplicated, is a block type environment for live music, jazz, soul, good hip hop, nice bars, cultural outlets, bookstores and live entertainment venues Ever been to Austin, TX? What about some of that 6th Street flavor? Or south street flavor in Philly?

Yeah.. its more for the college frat boys who like to come into town and "play city". LOL.. I was out by 1am.. not sure what time they closed though "last call" was being called. I would not and do not frequent the Power Plant.. I just happen to be with someone visiting that had never been. PBR Baltimore with its mechanical bull and drunken riders was enough for me....I do want to go back and check out the cigar lounge above Ruth Chris..and the sushi place next to it seemed pretty lively as well.. but "The Plant" itself is not my speed.... The Beer Garden was nice though....

I can see some nostalgic affinity for the Block when compared to Bourbon Street or Beale Street and the like..but the dreg,thug, druggie to tourist ration though is WAAAY off to make it worth visiting. Even Philly did away with Arch Street. If it was like the Red Light District in Amsterdam.. well thats a different story... LOL

Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM

41 posts, read 69,880 times
Sell vacants to urban farmers starting from $100(especially the gut jobs).

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Start to pay $ per pound of trash collected and deposited at any of the City's Transfer Stations....City would get clean real quick.. but junkies and bums would get real high too though ...

Old 08-24-2013, 01:31 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Start to pay $ per pound of trash collected and deposited at any of the City's Transfer Stations....City would get clean real quick.. but junkies and bums would get real high too though ...
Interesting concept. Then again, the police would be out in full force and make tons of arrest during this time as well.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:29 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
That's why I love the city of Philadelphia!

Both blue collar and cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore