Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 PM

25 posts, read 53,228 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one who thinks that more artists should do shows in Baltimore instead of skipping the area and just going to DC? I simply do not understand why Baltimore gets skipped by a lot of great artists. I love attending shows in Baltimore but it seems like tour managers think that this city is beneath them or something.

I'm also wondering why this city doesn't have festivals like SXSW and Coachella. At those two festivals, artists from several different music genres perform. In Baltimore, R&B/hip-hop artists have their own festival and then rock artists will have theirs. It should NOT be like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
baltimore doesn't have an arena that can host top artists. The first mariner arena is garbage.

Merriwether hosts some festivals.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM

25 posts, read 53,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
baltimore doesn't have an arena that can host top artists. The first mariner arena is garbage.

Merriwether hosts some festivals.
I'm not only referring to artists that do shows in large arenas. I wish that smaller venues like Ram's Head Live and Baltimore Soundstage could get some of the awesome acts that the 9:30 club and Howard Theatre (both in DC) could get.

I really wish that I could get some contact info for some concert promoters here in Baltimore (especially IMP) so that I can contact them and give them some input.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiva View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that more artists should do shows in Baltimore instead of skipping the area and just going to DC? I simply do not understand why Baltimore gets skipped by a lot of great artists. I love attending shows in Baltimore but it seems like tour managers think that this city is beneath them or something.

I'm also wondering why this city doesn't have festivals like SXSW and Coachella. At those two festivals, artists from several different music genres perform. In Baltimore, R&B/hip-hop artists have their own festival and then rock artists will have theirs. It should NOT be like that.
IMO, artists are simply going to go to the market where they will generate more money, period. They probably assume since Baltimore is less than an hour away, people can come to DC. Just my thoughts.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:20 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times
Let's cut the BS!

The city is too violent to have decent entertainment in almost any genre outside of Classical music.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:41 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Baltimore has a far better local music scene than DC; I consider that a massive plus since DC is pretty much ONLY big acts coming for a tour stop. I live outside DC and I definitely enjoy the convenience of nearly every big artist's national tour stopping here but it sucks having no one break thru here. Theres Wale but people who dont care about horrible rap or go-go dont have a music scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Let's cut the BS!

The city is too violent to have decent entertainment in almost any genre outside of Classical music.
Yep nothing scares me like hearing thugs blast Brahms No. 1 in D Minor out of their car :-O

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM

757 posts, read 2,554,531 times
Quote:
I'm not only referring to artists that do shows in large arenas. I wish that smaller venues like Ram's Head Live and Baltimore Soundstage could get some of the awesome acts that the 9:30 club and Howard Theatre (both in DC) could get.

I really wish that I could get some contact info for some concert promoters here in Baltimore (especially IMP) so that I can contact them and give them some input.
I feel that the situation has actually gotten a lot better over the past decade or so, but I've always felt the same way. I think the problem is that touring groups want to cover the widest geography possible in a short period of time and can't justify playing both DC and Baltimore since they're so close in proximity (plus Philly isn't that far away). Meanwhile, smaller, more isolated cities regularly attract good artists.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:44 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
I wish I could argue that entertainment is better in Baltimore. It definitely is cheaper than DC! I love Artscape and the African American festival....both free events that offer great music!

When artists come to Baltimore there seems to be a few idiots that mess it up for the rest of us! Take this weekend for an example. I saw Aries Spears (comedian) on Friday night. I almost went to the Sunday show instead. Glad I didn't!

Two bouncers stabbed at Aries Spears show at Comedy Factory - baltimoresun.com

Who stabs people over a friggin' bar tab?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:42 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Ram's Head gets at least as many bigger names as the 9:30 club. Actually more big names go to Ram's Head in my opinion. Which is unfortunate because the 9:30 club is a far superior venue. I actually hate "seeing" shows at Ram's Head.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:55 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,146 times
Quote:

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore