Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM

174 posts, read 486,255 times

Advertisements

Anyone else finding that the sheriff is cancelling evictions in Balt City "due to cold"?

I can understand actively precipitating, snow and icy rain falling. But clear weather that's... "cold"?

Anyone else, or is this just me? (Maybe the sheriff hates me, even tho I rarely bother him. )

MC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 04:02 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Are they going to compensate you?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:25 PM

By "they" do you mean the tenants (laugh!) or the sheriff (double-laugh!)?

All I can do is cross my fingers and hope that tomorrow's not too cold for the delicate little sensitive sheriff, who must not have heat in his car or something.

[shrug]

MC

Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Most city officials hate landlords and real estate investors.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Angry cancelled again!

Cancelled again!

No precip, just, ya know, too cold for the delicate little sheriff.

Another weekend of free livin' in Balt City! Why pay rent at all?

I wish I could just give the house to this tenant as punishment and let the tenant pick up the tax and utility bills and ultimately foreclose. What do I need this hassle and expense for?

Amazing system, Baltimore City is.

MC

Old 02-06-2014, 01:40 PM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
I about a bleeding heart as it gets, but even I think this is ridiculous. I understand putting off the eviction when the day time highs were in the teens. If highs the mid thirties are too cold, then they might well wait another month.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Default bleeding!

Quote:
I about a bleeding heart as it gets, but
[laughing] Me, too. But these folks haven't paid their rent, and once it goes south it can take over two months to get an eviction notice from Balt City. And to have the eviction postponed for "cold"... What's the point of renting? You can just squat in Balt City.

Obviously there are a couple of issues here. I'm complaining directly about the Balt City process; don't know how anyone does business with this city, and I was hoping to hear from a few more landlords. But landlords aren't the type, I guess. (I am, all bleeding heart and such.) For us, evictions are rare, and of course we do everything possible to avoid them from start to finish. So, this is also a failure of a manager to stem the evil tide and save a tenant from imploding.

Water under the bridge now. (That is, ice.)

Now it's just an excuse for me to complain about the sheriff's dainty response to the chill in the air, which is costing me money and allowing bad people to triumph. Maybe all his winter clothes are at the laundry?

MC

Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,567 times
The process to evict does seem very painful in Baltimore. I think this does encourage renters not pay.

Postponing an eviction because it's cold is ridiculous and the city should have to pay you the rent for those days in my opinion.

I also think it's ridiculous that landlords have to pay for the burden of tenants staying in the apartment during the eviction process. I've heard that tenants can extend the eviction for months by showing up to court and fighting it on hardship. Does anyone know if they city has ever been sued for loss rent because of an eviction?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfortune View Post
Anyone else finding that the sheriff is cancelling evictions in Balt City "due to cold"?

I can understand actively precipitating, snow and icy rain falling. But clear weather that's... "cold"?

Anyone else, or is this just me? (Maybe the sheriff hates me, even tho I rarely bother him. )

MC
I lived in Minneapolis for ten years. One thing I learned from living there, and not through experience, is that it is illegal for a landlord or utility company to turn off your heat between October and May. If I recall correctly, the same goes for evictions. I am fully aware that MPLS gets a heckofalot colder than Baltimore, but, perhaps the City of Baltimore has similar law?

Old 02-07-2014, 07:52 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
I heard that Baltimore City passed a law that required landlords to take an evicted tenant's belongings to a storage unit, rather than leave them on the curb in front of the property as they used to do. Is this true? Maybe the landlord should also put the displaced tenant up for a few nights in his home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: