Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 AM

661 posts, read 1,248,324 times

Advertisements

I just got a summons in the mail for jury duty. The date and time was given however there is a note on the summons that "if selected for a case". Does that mean I am not selected for a case yet? I know I'd have to fill this form and submit it first online or the mail. I guess if qualified they either "select" me to be a juror? I follow up by calling a hotline? This is my first summons and I hate these kinds of places (courts). Not sure why I signed up to being a voter when I got my license.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:07 AM

19 posts, read 35,966 times
I'm not sure exactly how the process works, but as of now, you have not been selected for a case. I'm pretty sure you call the hotline the day before you report to find out if your group has to report to the courthouse. If/when you report, based on the cases that are being tried, you will either be selected or dismissed. (I've never been called for jury duty, but from talking to people who have, a significant portion of people who get called never have to do anything).

And for the record, as a US citizen, you have the right to a prompt, fair trial by jury and a responsibility to serve on a jury when called upon. Our justice system is far from perfect, but it seems pretty fair that if you would want a jury should you be arrested for a crime, that you serve as a juror for others. (Also, if you don't vote for our elected officials, you give up your right to complain about what they do or don't do )

Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
By getting your license you got put in the potential jury pool. MD pulls from driver's license records as well as voter rolls. The process as described immediately above is how it works.

Chances are you'll never have to report for selection. If there's a high profile case they'll pull a lot of people in order to seat a jury, but remember only about 10% of cases got to trial, the rest are plea bargained.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Do you live in Baltimore City? If so, then it is highly likely that you WILL have to report for jury selection. If you live in the County, the odds are much less.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 AM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
As someone who has been called to jury duty every year since he turned 18 (30 years),and earlier this month as well, I am very familiar with this process. Fill out the form and send it in (the online form site usually doesn't work in the City). You'll receive another notice telling you you've been summoned, or that you've been disqualified. Call the number on the summons after 5:00 PM the night before to see if your juror number is called-if so you must report, if not you will probably be re-called later in the year.
Will you actually serve on a jury? Maybe, maybe not. Two weeks ago Tuesday in Baltimore City we actually had overflow crowds in all juror waiting rooms, but only two potential juries were summoned for voir dire all day. How long do jury trials last? Maybe a couple of hours, maybe several months-no way to tell. If you are impaneled as a juror you are in for the duration. Baltimore has a one day or one trial annual jury service requirement, so if you show up and you are not impaneled, you're done until next year.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 AM

64 posts, read 123,104 times
If you do actually serve on a jury and the trial last three or more days, you will not be called again for 3 years. Not sure if that is still the case. Maybe someone else is more informed.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
As someone who has been called to jury duty every year since he turned 18 (30 years),and earlier this month as well, I am very familiar with this process. Fill out the form and send it in (the online form site usually doesn't work in the City). You'll receive another notice telling you you've been summoned, or that you've been disqualified. Call the number on the summons after 5:00 PM the night before to see if your juror number is called-if so you must report, if not you will probably be re-called later in the year.
Will you actually serve on a jury? Maybe, maybe not. Two weeks ago Tuesday in Baltimore City we actually had overflow crowds in all juror waiting rooms, but only two potential juries were summoned for voir dire all day. How long do jury trials last? Maybe a couple of hours, maybe several months-no way to tell. If you are impaneled as a juror you are in for the duration. Baltimore has a one day or one trial annual jury service requirement, so if you show up and you are not impaneled, you're done until next year.

That pretty much covers it for jury duty in Baltimore City. Only things I can add are that the jury quiet room has a few couches, which are the most comfortable seats available, and that Werner's on Redwood Street is a good place for lunch.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:39 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
When you get jury selection it's probably a 10% chance you'll be on a jury. You might not even have to show up, if you do you may never leave the lounge and if called you probably have a 30% chance of sitting on a jury. If you don't want to do jury duty, show up dressed like a business executive. If you want to so jury, grow a beard and wear a Bob Marley shirt.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 PM

how does one be on jury and not have to show up?

The summons mentioned wearing proper attire. Didn't say anything about headgear. March will still be cold. So the summons is nothing more than a pool of who "might" be selected for jury duty? It doesn't mean I am already selected just because I received the summons. I live in the city btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
When you get jury selection it's probably a 10% chance you'll be on a jury. You might not even have to show up, if you do you may never leave the lounge and if called you probably have a 30% chance of sitting on a jury. If you don't want to do jury duty, show up dressed like a business executive. If you want to so jury, grow a beard and wear a Bob Marley shirt.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:28 PM

report for jury selection? I thought the questionnaire that I will submit in the mail or online is what determines the selection process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Do you live in Baltimore City? If so, then it is highly likely that you WILL have to report for jury selection. If you live in the County, the odds are much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore