Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM

661 posts, read 1,248,324 times

Advertisements

the summons mentioned that any person not going to jury duty could get a fine or imprisonment? Do they mean by not filling out the questionnaire and submitting it or by actually not showing up for jury duty? or both? I know I have 10 days to fill and submit this thing.

Are you saying getting summoned is yearly but is actually being a juror as well or not? Getting summoned does not mean I'd have to go for jury duty right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
As someone who has been called to jury duty every year since he turned 18 (30 years),and earlier this month as well, I am very familiar with this process. Fill out the form and send it in (the online form site usually doesn't work in the City). You'll receive another notice telling you you've been summoned, or that you've been disqualified. Call the number on the summons after 5:00 PM the night before to see if your juror number is called-if so you must report, if not you will probably be re-called later in the year.
Will you actually serve on a jury? Maybe, maybe not. Two weeks ago Tuesday in Baltimore City we actually had overflow crowds in all juror waiting rooms, but only two potential juries were summoned for voir dire all day. How long do jury trials last? Maybe a couple of hours, maybe several months-no way to tell. If you are impaneled as a juror you are in for the duration. Baltimore has a one day or one trial annual jury service requirement, so if you show up and you are not impaneled, you're done until next year.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:34 PM

jury duty is still by St. Paul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That pretty much covers it for jury duty in Baltimore City. Only things I can add are that the jury quiet room has a few couches, which are the most comfortable seats available, and that Werner's on Redwood Street is a good place for lunch.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
jury duty is still by St. Paul?
The Circuit Court for Baltimore City is at the Clarence Mitchell Courthouse, 111 N Calvert Street. So, yes that would be near St. Paul

We have assumed this is the court to which you have been summoned. Please look at the document again and make sure you haven't been summoned to the Federal District Court in Baltimore.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
the summons mentioned that any person not going to jury duty could get a fine or imprisonment? Do they mean by not filling out the questionnaire and submitting it or by actually not showing up for jury duty? or both? I know I have 10 days to fill and submit this thing.

Are you saying getting summoned is yearly but is actually being a juror as well or not? Getting summoned does not mean I'd have to go for jury duty right?

I don't know about filling out, Calvert County sends a second notice. If you fail to show up a hard nosed Judge will send Deputies to find you.

What usually happens when you report is that you're in the pool for a potential trial. All the potential jurors for that particular trial go into the court room and the lawyers do their voir dire. How it's been done when I've had to report is that he judge will ask a series of questions (depends on the type of trial) to which the jurors will stand in answer (have you ever been the victim of a violent crime, for example). A positive answer will a lot of times get you excused. The lawyers kind of huddle and pick jurors they both can agree on.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:57 AM

252 posts, read 425,425 times
There is a big mix for different counties on here. Let's bring it back to which location the OP is looking for.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:28 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times
not exactly. When you are summoned for a jury you are summoned with about 30 other people. You all go to the courtroom and they will ask you a series of questions. If they think that you might have a bias because of the answers to the questions, then they will eliminate you as a juror and you can go home. At least that's how it worked last time I was summoned

Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Quote:
how does one be on jury and not have to show up?

The summons mentioned wearing proper attire. Didn't say anything about headgear. March will still be cold. So the summons is nothing more than a pool of who "might" be selected for jury duty? It doesn't mean I am already selected just because I received the summons. I live in the city btw.
You'll find out the either the night before or that morning if you have to show. They typically notify twice as many people as they need in case they have a super busy docket. So check to see if you number was called.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:

I think you may be confusing being summoned to jury duty with actually serving on a jury during a jury trial.
If you are summoned to jury duty, you must report with the rest of the pool of prospective jurors at the Mitchell Courthouse on your scheduled day of service.
Whether you are actually called to a courtroom with a group of other jurors (usually 30-40 others at a time) will depend on demand for that day-the fewer jury trials that day, the fewer prospective jurors needed, and to some extent on how low your juror number is, as jurors are usually called in order from lowest to highest.
If you are called to a courtroom, you will generally be with others with juror numbers in the range of your own, e.g.: if you're number 136, the judge or clerk may call for all jurors number 100 through 200 to report to courtroom # 3 for voir dire. During voir dire you will be questioned by the judge, and possibly by attorneys from both sides. Between them, they will decide whether they believe you are a suitable juror for that case, or will excuse you to go back to the juror waiting room to await another call.
There is truly No Way to know whether you will actually serve on a jury during a jury trial before being called to a courtroom. Sorry, but you still have to show up on your scheduled day. HTH.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 PM

well there is a note that I'd have to call after 5 p.m. before the day of the scheduled jury duty to hear any updates and or cancellations or changes. Let's say the jury date is tomorrow, I;d have to call today after 5 p.m. to hear an update (to hear if my number thing is called?).

Yes it is the one on Calvert St.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:10 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
That thing about calling the courthouse on the evening before your scheduled day of jury service is what I consider to be the biggest pain in the neck about the whole thing. It forces you to make whatever plans and arrangements are necessary for you to be able to serve, but it's all kept uncertain until you make that call and find out if you're actually going to be called to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore