Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times

Advertisements

"The Baltimore subway as originally proposed back in the early 1960's was to be eight lines radiating in every direction from downtown, not one line."

*Interesting! I never knew this. So, the originally idea was to build an extensive subway system in Baltimore back in the 60's, but how did the city come up with this one line fits all BS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
"work to move DC further away" What?? My world view? What view, please explain as I am clueless.

Maybe your name should be Mr. Irrational.

I read the post about the mechanical limitations, and I believe it and understand it. However, I know that if Baltimore were a larger metro area, say the size of Chicago or Philadelphia, the train would stop in Baltimore as the number of riders would warrant a stop, regardless of the mechanical limitations. The one motivating factor behind any type of rail line is RIDERSHIP, not speed or scenery, or the wishes of some people who would like it to come to their small city. If they can't get the ridership, a rail line won't get built as it doesn't pay. This is true of all rail lines and even other types of public transportation such as bus lines and air routes. That is exactly why the Baltimore subway is so small compared to the DC subway. The Baltimore subway as originally proposed back in the early 1960's was to be eight lines radiating in every direction from downtown, not one line. The rest did not get built because of lack of riders. The one line that did get built was decided upon by the number of riders that would use the line, as all new or expanded rail lines are decided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"The Baltimore subway as originally proposed back in the early 1960's was to be eight lines radiating in every direction from downtown, not one line."

*Interesting! I never knew this. So, the originally idea was to build an extensive subway system in Baltimore back in the 60's, but how did the city come up with this one line fits all BS?

Six lines.

The main reason why the Baltimore Subway didn't get built as proposed is because residents along the old B&A RR line in Anne Arundel County complained so much about the subway bringing "crime" (insert anti-black slur of your choice here) into their neighborhoods that the County Council passed a resolution prohibiting the subway from being run into Anne Arundel County.

Once that happened, the U.S. Congress, who controlled the funding for the project, said that if the subway couldn't run between downtown Baltimore and the airport that served it (BWI, located in Anne Arundel County), they wouldn't provide funding for constructing the whole thing at once (without the southern leg), but would only let it be built one little piece at a time.

Phase 1 was Charles Center to Reisterstown Road Plaza. Phase 2 was Reisterstown Road Plaza to Owings Mills. Phase 3 was the "fishhook" to Hopkins.

Of course, once there were two new stadiums being built in the southern section of the downtown area, the AA Co. residents gave grudging permission for the Light Rail, although I still heard plenty of complaints about its coming, and continue to hear plenty of complaints about it now.

So now we're stuck with the ridiculous kluge of incompatible rolling stock that we have.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 AM

252 posts, read 425,161 times
Quote:

There are several posts in this forum on that.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 PM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Six lines.

The main reason why the Baltimore Subway didn't get built as proposed is because residents along the old B&A RR line in Anne Arundel County complained so much about the subway bringing "crime" (insert anti-black slur of your choice here) into their neighborhoods that the County Council passed a resolution prohibiting the subway from being run into Anne Arundel County.

Once that happened, the U.S. Congress, who controlled the funding for the project, said that if the subway couldn't run between downtown Baltimore and the airport that served it (BWI, located in Anne Arundel County), they wouldn't provide funding for constructing the whole thing at once (without the southern leg), but would only let it be built one little piece at a time.

Phase 1 was Charles Center to Reisterstown Road Plaza. Phase 2 was Reisterstown Road Plaza to Owings Mills. Phase 3 was the "fishhook" to Hopkins.

Of course, once there were two new stadiums being built in the southern section of the downtown area, the AA Co. residents gave grudging permission for the Light Rail, although I still heard plenty of complaints about its coming, and continue to hear plenty of complaints about it now.

So now we're stuck with the ridiculous kluge of incompatible rolling stock that we have.
Wow. What a sad, pathetic little story. Now here we are, living with the stupid result of foolish decisions. It's sad. Baltimore could be much different today if they'd built that subway the way it was originally envisioned.

Thanks for sharing all the same.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Well, could you provide a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
There are several posts in this forum on that.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 AM

Was it the elected officials in Baltimore at the time who messed up this transit system project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Wow. What a sad, pathetic little story. Now here we are, living with the stupid result of foolish decisions. It's sad. Baltimore could be much different today if they'd built that subway the way it was originally envisioned.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post

A Baltimore that pushed out even more of its affluent taxpayers would indeed be "different."

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

252 posts, read 425,161 times
Quote:
Well, could you provide a link?
Sure, I will spend my time searching for you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...have-been.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...baltimore.html

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
Yes, certainly. Just how D.C., NYC, and Boston ended up. Blech.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM

673 posts, read 1,186,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
"work to move DC further away" What?? My world view? What view, please explain as I am clueless.

Maybe your name should be Mr. Irrational.

I read the post about the mechanical limitations, and I believe it and understand it. However, I know that if Baltimore were a larger metro area, say the size of Chicago or Philadelphia, the train would stop in Baltimore as the number of riders would warrant a stop, regardless of the mechanical limitations. The one motivating factor behind any type of rail line is RIDERSHIP, not speed or scenery, or the wishes of some people who would like it to come to their small city. If they can't get the ridership, a rail line won't get built as it doesn't pay. This is true of all rail lines and even other types of public transportation such as bus lines and air routes. That is exactly why the Baltimore subway is so small compared to the DC subway. The Baltimore subway as originally proposed back in the early 1960's was to be eight lines radiating in every direction from downtown, not one line. The rest did not get built because of lack of riders. The one line that did get built was decided upon by the number of riders that would use the line, as all new or expanded rail lines are decided.
Wrong. The other eight lines weren't built because of a lack of riders? They weren't built because of the lack of funding available from the federal government at the time, also opposition from citizens in the suburbs of Baltimore who didn't like the idea of the subway connecting inner-city communities to the burbs for crime and safety reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore