Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 PM

40 posts, read 51,923 times

Advertisements

Hey so I'm going to be visiting Maryland and I'm looking for some places to try some genuine crab! I want a relaxed environment preferably by water with LOCALS. Everywhere online just keeps mentioning overpriced touristy spots, and I'd like to see where locals ACTUALLY go.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 10:07 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiscool01 View Post
going to be visiting Maryland and I'm looking for some places to try some genuine crab!
When?

The BEST place to eat steamed hard shells is in someone's backyard.
Picnic table, hot summer evening, plenty of cheap beer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYAzlMbN4BA

Old 01-23-2015, 10:13 PM

40 posts, read 51,923 times
Near the end of March. Yeah that does sound awesome, but I don't know anyone there so have to settle

Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Near the end of March.
March? Get some R'sters!
Belly up to a raw bar like Cross Street Market or Annapolis

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Quote:
Hey so I'm going to be visiting Maryland and I'm looking for some places to try some genuine crab! I want a relaxed environment preferably by water with LOCALS. Everywhere online just keeps mentioning overpriced touristy spots, and I'd like to see where locals ACTUALLY go.

Thanks!
What are "young" local seafood stops?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
You might enjoy the Harris Crab House in Grasonville, Kent Island. However, local crabs are not in season in March. They should have oysters, and they do have Louisiana crabs. I would telephone them before going there, to see what's available and their hours. It will still be "off-season". Web site here: Harris Crab House and Seafood Restaurant | Menu

I have also enjoyed Hemingways right off the bridge on Kent Island, but it is bit more touristy.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
Sorry, but as noted blue crab season doesn't really get started until mid-summer. There are places that serve crabs year 'round, but they will always be brought in from warmer climes, generally the Gulf of Mexico. Likewise for soft crabs, their season is summer only, and any off-season will be frozen. Actually, the best time for local crabs is generally early fall-September/October, when the crabs are fattening themselves up for a long winter's nap. Even during the season, fewer and fewer places actually have local crabs, as demand always outstrips supply. Local Chesapeake crabs are far and away the best, when you find them. They have a flavor and richness, particularly in the mustard, that can't be matched.
Locals do still go out to restaurants for crabs during the season, and crab feasts put on by social clubs, neighborhood groups, family gatherings and corporate outings/employee parties are anticipated summer staples. But many prefer to buy them to go, either live or steamed, and enjoy them at home. The only accompaniment is cold beer.
You will be here during oyster season, and some years the local oysters are as good as any you will find anywhere. They do vary in flavor and quality annually, tho,. Ashamed to say I haven't tried any yet this year, and I love them-raw, spritz of lemon, maybe a little horseradish or mignonette sauce. Beer or champagne. Clams are another good option, always available, and most of them served on the East Coast (even in New England) come from Chesapeake Bay. Also, don't miss the favorite game fish of the Bay, Striped Bass, locally known as Rockfish. Delicious in any preparation.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM

580 posts, read 777,625 times
Thames Street in Fells Point has a good selection of East, West Coast oysters. Just had brunch there: 2 VA, 2 MD, 2 RI, Connecticut, 2 MA types. Or you can hit the buck a shuck stand in between Slainte and Coopers (fresh Maryland oysters).

In Annapolis, Factors Row and McGarveys are good oyster places. For crabs, Severn Inn. As noted above, crabs are out of season so you will be eating Southern crabs.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:51 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
Another option is Ryleigh's Oyster on Cross St which has a daily oyster happy hour. East Coast varieties are a buck each, sometimes the ones from the West are more. They usually have a rotating menu of a dozen or more types during the season, along with reduced beer prices during happy hour. Good quality, fresh, never had a bad one there.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:54 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Anne Arundel Seafood

Corner of Mountain Rd. and Solley Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore