Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 PM

206 posts, read 798,313 times

Advertisements

People are running from this city.

1950 949,708 10.5%
1960 939,024 −1.1%
1970 905,759 −3.5%
1980 786,775 −13.1%
1990 736,014 −6.5%
2000 651,154 −11.5%
2010 620,961 −4.6%

I've been traveling a lot to other cities in the USA and I agree with the 300,000 people that left. This place sucks. It appears that the city is bleeding into the counties too. It's a very good thing the Ravens are a good football team or else winters would be unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,982,292 times
You're free to leave. The city has seen its first population gain in 60 years in 2012.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're free to leave. The city has seen its first population gain in 60 years in 2012.
THis consists mostly of illegal aliens moving in. Remember Rawlings Blake wants to welcome 10,000 new residents and illegal immigration is a major way for her to do so. If you go to Highlandtown you will see that it is overrun with illegals and that stretch of Eastern Avenue might as well be in Tijuana, and Greektown isn't really that Greek anymore! meanwhile the ghetto masses have encroached and even overtaken once pleasant areas like Rosedale, Catonsville, Woodlawn, and Randallstown and are making their way into Landsdowne, Linthicum, Pikesville, and even Owings Mills. If you go to the Rosedale Walmart or the Washington Blvd Walmart (where the famous bleach fight made national news) you see it is no different from the city. Carroll County is smart to not allow too much mass transit to reach it, same with Harford and Cecil.

In DC too, the ghetto exodus has gone all over PG County, Silver Spring, and Wheaton.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:00 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,531,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
THis consists mostly of illegal aliens moving in. Remember Rawlings Blake wants to welcome 10,000 new residents and illegal immigration is a major way for her to do so. If you go to Highlandtown you will see that it is overrun with illegals and that stretch of Eastern Avenue might as well be in Tijuana, and Greektown isn't really that Greek anymore! meanwhile the ghetto masses have encroached and even overtaken once pleasant areas like Rosedale, Catonsville, Woodlawn, and Randallstown and are making their way into Landsdowne, Linthicum, Pikesville, and even Owings Mills. If you go to the Rosedale Walmart or the Washington Blvd Walmart (where the famous bleach fight made national news) you see it is no different from the city. Carroll County is smart to not allow too much mass transit to reach it, same with Harford and Cecil.

In DC too, the ghetto exodus has gone all over PG County, Silver Spring, and Wheaton.
Parts of Northern VA too.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 AM

775 posts, read 1,785,817 times
Baltijuana has been coming for a while. Baltimore as we used to know it has been gone for a while.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
Personally I welcome the Hispanic community that has come to Baltimore. I enjoy the varied Hispanic restaurants on the east side of town and my first choice for quality workers is always Casa de Maryland. Not only are they hard workers but I have learned a lot about Mexican and Peruvian culture from folks I have hired there. Anyone who is willing to work hard and invest in their community should be a welcome sight in this City. The negatives others complain about I have not seen.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 AM

25 posts, read 40,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
Baltijuana has been coming for a while. Baltimore as we used to know it has been gone for a while.
Another way to look at this.

Much of what we enjoy in this country, at least before our fed chairman made everything more expensive is a result of commodity rich countries being poor. You don't get cheap goods made from raw materials without a portion of those materials coming out of the ground at a discount. Many nations south of the border are giving us deeply discounted things so we can live well. As a result they live poorly. If someone chooses to journey north to go where prosperity is then by all means they should come.

Think of the journey itself. Its dangerous, difficult, expensive, and often splits families up because only one working person can go. The journey itself deserves appreciation.

When I was a child growing up in LA I used to drive by a housing project that was very dangerous. It had a sizable organized gang that controlled it and they made their presence known. The entire building was spray painted, there was garbage every where, the grounds were full of weeds. Today it is populated entirely by first generation immigrants from Mexico, Central America, South America. Its clean, safer, and well taken care of.

Sometimes when people come here they are highly motivated to succeed and improve their surroundings. If we as a collective city can not or are unwilling to fix the blight by our own hands. If we are as domestic born going to complain, argue, or be unmotivated then by all means give a chance to someone who has a stronger desire to get it done. Imagine if all those empty homes are filled with hard working motivated immigrants. Thats one way to fix a city.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:14 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,566 times
How do you know they're illegal...

I have NO problem with immigrants coming to the city--if they want to come and fix up some of the ghetto-ness within Baltimore and create their own communities, MORE POWER TO THEM. Some of these areas couldn't get much worse.

Don't know about you, but I see an influx of hard workers and people committed to improving deteriorating communities as a good thing, but hey, what do I know....

Old 05-07-2013, 06:17 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,429,272 times
The ghetto-ness within Baltimore is unrepairable!!! You have to clean up the ghetto and poverty consciousness first.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post

I have NO problem with immigrants coming to the city--if they want to come and fix up some of the ghetto-ness within Baltimore and create their own communities, MORE POWER TO THEM. Some of these areas couldn't get much worse.
They're intimidated ... it becomes more difficult to maintain a sourpuss, debbie downer demeanor in the light of progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore