Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 02:22 PM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times

Advertisements

Well it looks like Hogan has killed the Red Line.. There are plenty of ideas floating around about alternatives.. but I guess we have to wait and see.. SRB again is handed another Loss.. How much more is she gonna take....

THis opens back up the discussion of making use of the existing light rail line.. though not perfect.. we should add to it as opposed to taking away from it.. I have said in other thread.. Expand the Penn-Camden Shuttle by taking it through Penn Station down under the JFX to Pratt Street. A scaled down version of the Red Line could run from West Baltimore MARC Station down the planned route via the higway to no where to Howard Street. Run along Howard to Pratt and out through East Baltimore.. possibly along Eastern Ave to Bayview where it could end at a Bayview MARC Station. Also a north bound spur from the Penn Station line should be built so trains can go north and south of Penn along the Central Light Rail Line.

If the above is done..You could run a train from Hunt Valley to Harbor East via the Central Light Rail Line and the Pratt Street. Or.. from BWI to Camden Yards down Pratt Street out to East Baltimore to Bayview...among others variations.

The Baltimore Sun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:45 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
There are plenty of ideas floating around about alternatives.
The Baltimore Sun
I've been saying this from the start. There is a better way to provide public rail transportation east-west. I think planners got a little too full of themselves and didn't open their ideas up to criticism. This is the inevitable result.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
"SRB again is handed another Loss.. How much more is she gonna take...."

I think the more appropriate question is how much more are the citizens of Maryland going to take from her?

Just out of curiosity, what other losses was she handed?

Did you really think it was going to be approved? Hogan was against it from day one, and said so a number of times. No urban planner in his right mind would have approved the red line.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:20 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
My initial thought is that it's shortsighted but, if Gov. Hogan is willing to trade Redline for Maryland Maglev, then I can be happy with his decision. He seem to indicate wanting to bring Maglev to MD on his recent trip to Japan. Sometimes we need to think further out in the future and not just the here and now. Just like when President Obama chose to focus more on Mars than the Moon -- it kinda upset a lot of folks in NASA, but I think we'll be the better for it in the end.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Interesting comments in this article:

BREAKING: Hogan will build the Purple Line, not the Red Line - Greater Greater Washington

Old 06-25-2015, 10:20 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
My initial thought is that it's shortsighted but, if Gov. Hogan is willing to trade Redline for Maryland Maglev, then I can be happy with his decision. He seem to indicate wanting to bring Maglev to MD on his recent trip to Japan. Sometimes we need to think further out in the future and not just the here and now. Just like when President Obama chose to focus more on Mars than the Moon -- it kinda upset a lot of folks in NASA, but I think we'll be the better for it in the end.
I think he is being very contradicting and shortsighted. He says he wants to "save" money but he cut a project that was ready to go after decades of planning and had federal funding, yet he approves a study (which cost $$$) for a Maglev system that will probably never get built in our life time and in my opinion is a waste since we already have rail infrastructure in place to connect DC and Baltimore, which is MARC. Also what's the point of connecting the two cities by an expensive Maglev rail if once you get there you can't get around the city? Japan's cities have excellent mass transit. Tokyo's subway goes everywhere while Baltimore is almost non-existent.

As much as I like the Purple line, I wish he would have sacrificed that over the Red line. Baltimore is hurting and this could have been a shot in the arm to help the city now in terms of jobs and for decades to come with all the new development that would have came around the new stations.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 AM

450 posts, read 799,115 times
Good move, Guv. Why Social Security? Why Bayview? Why not a route following route 40 with a surface route thru town using Saratoga St. to Fayette? The line down Boston St. is unnecessary.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
The Red line never made any sense - huge amount of money spent for nothing. Hogan is like a breath of fresh air after the years of O'Malley's tax and spend agenda. First republican I have voted for in over 30 years but he has been great.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:50 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Barney Rubble got it wrong!!! Is the cancer already burning his brain cells up??! I'm not happy about this development. It's a step backwards and Baltimore (Maryland in general) is in a backwards state of existence. No wonder other why other cities and municipalities LAUGH at Baltimore! We seem to be constantly shooting ourselves in the head with nonsensical business moves. God (if there is a God), please help this city!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Well it looks like Hogan has killed the Red Line.. There are plenty of ideas floating around about alternatives.. but I guess we have to wait and see.. SRB again is handed another Loss.. How much more is she gonna take....

THis opens back up the discussion of making use of the existing light rail line.. though not perfect.. we should add to it as opposed to taking away from it.. I have said in other thread.. Expand the Penn-Camden Shuttle by taking it through Penn Station down under the JFX to Pratt Street. A scaled down version of the Red Line could run from West Baltimore MARC Station down the planned route via the higway to no where to Howard Street. Run along Howard to Pratt and out through East Baltimore.. possibly along Eastern Ave to Bayview where it could end at a Bayview MARC Station. Also a north bound spur from the Penn Station line should be built so trains can go north and south of Penn along the Central Light Rail Line.

If the above is done..You could run a train from Hunt Valley to Harbor East via the Central Light Rail Line and the Pratt Street. Or.. from BWI to Camden Yards down Pratt Street out to East Baltimore to Bayview...among others variations.

The Baltimore Sun

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 06-26-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 05:56 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
The Maryland political electorate and machine is so backwards it's unbelievable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore