Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,667 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I accepted a job at JHUAPL in Laurel and will be moving from Pennsylvania in May. I'd like to live in Baltimore so I can get home after work, hop on my bike and go do something.

A little about me: 23 y/o single male, no kids, fresh college grad, into exercise, meditation, yoga, biking, hiking.. I'm looking for an apartment, house, condo, with 1br and living space for under $1000. I don't know anyone in the area and I'd like to live alone.

Safety isn't a huge concern however I don't want to live in a dumpy neighborhood. I'd prefer not to have to spend 10 minutes everyday looking for parking.

I'd like to live in a neighborhood close to some nightlife. I'd probably enjoy a meditation/yoga/fitness class a few times a week to stay in shape but also to meet friends.

Will driving from Baltimore to Laurel everyday drive me insane? Is 95 really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 02:22 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
How far is it from Laurel MARC or have you ruled out transit?

Old 12-26-2016, 03:59 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emersonsmith93 View Post
Will driving from Baltimore to Laurel everyday drive me insane?
What time of the day?

Quote:
Is 95 really that bad?
It's not all that far really (see map link. http://tinyurl.com/gsdq2xz)
but the route intersects about ten known problem points.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:45 AM

122 posts, read 169,597 times
I cannot speak to the cost of apartments but many young adults from my area seem to move to the Canton, Fells Point, and Federal Hill areas after college. They are close to nightlife but many also have jobs in Baltimore.

I don't think the commute from APL to Baltimore is horrendous, but parking in downtown communities can be a pain.

As a mom I will offer one piece of unsolicited advice - please do not ride a bike alone after dark in the city. There are buses, Uber, in the summer the water taxi runs late around the harbor.

Congratulations on your new job and welcome to Maryland!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 AM

I believe it's about 6 miles from the Laurel MARC. I haven't ruled it out yet... I love biking, so if it would be possible maybe I could bring my bike on the train and then bike the last 6 miles to work? Probably not ideal to do everyday but it could help me save some gas a day or two a week maybe?

Old 01-02-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What time of the day?

It's not all that far really (see map link. http://tinyurl.com/gsdq2xz)
but the route intersects about ten known problem points.
I'll be arriving to work (Laurel) around 8 AM each day; leaving around 4:30PM.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Move to Columbia. You'll like your life a lot better if you don't have to deal with that commute from downtown every day.

If you absolutely have to live in Baltimore for proximity to nightlife I'd say choose a neighborhood right on 95 like Locust Point but finding something in that price range will be a challenge.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Move to Columbia. You'll like your life a lot better
if you don't have to deal with that commute from downtown every day.
^^What she said.

Start with a housemate situation as you learn your way around

Old 01-03-2017, 12:01 PM

406 posts, read 486,501 times
Try looking for places on the South Baltimore peninsula. A quick bike ride could take you to downtown or Southeast Baltimore. You also have easy access to I-95 south the tunnel so you can avoid tolls.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:07 PM

537 posts, read 769,135 times
All the people I've known that work out there live in Columbia or south Baltimore.
I live in Columbia now, but I am in Baltimore frequently. It's like 25-30 minute drive outside of the rush hours. Not that bad to me.

Would be nice if we had a light rail or metro but hahahaha! :\ Welcome to the traffic dysfunction of the Baltimore/DC metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore