Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:00 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OK, so you are saying that you make up facts to match your perceptions?
The facts are facts. Baltimore is the heroin capital of the USA. One in 10 are addicted, according to liberal fakenews abcnews. Part I: Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital - ABC News
It ranks in the top 15 U.S. cities for all violent crimes. (Common Knowledge)

Lots of crackheads around Baltimore also. Lots that commit numerous petty crimes.

Almost two-thirds of high school students in city public schools do not earn diplomas, giving Baltimore the third-worst graduation rate in the nation, according to a study released by the publication Education Week.

Baltimore graduation rate among worst - Washington Times

One Word explains alot - Democrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The facts are facts. Baltimore is the heroin capital of the USA. One in 10 are addicted, according to liberal fakenews abcnews. Part I: Baltimore Is the U.S. Heroin Capital - ABC News

Lots of crackheads around Baltimore also. Lots that commit numerous petty crimes.

Almost two-thirds of high school students in city public schools do not earn diplomas, giving Baltimore the third-worst graduation rate in the nation, according to a study released by the publication Education Week.

The latest available figures for Heroin addtiction are in this report: http://health.baltimorecity.gov/site...013%202015.pdf on page 17.
Baltimore's graduation rate is low by any standard but the statistics cited in the Washington Times ten years ago are for graduation within 4 years of entering high school. Lots of city students graduate a year late but are still counted as regular high school graduates - as opposed to those receiving GEDs. The rate of city residents over age 25 who have a high school degree or higher is 84.7% vs 87.1% nationwide. These numbers are from Census report S1501 which I'm sure you consider "fake news." But since there is no alt-Census as of yet, there really aren't any true facts except what you tell us. You might however enjoy the Demographia site which is associated with the Cato Institute.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
The rate of city residents over age 25 who have a high school degree or higher is 84.7% vs 87.1% nationwide.
Phony democrat stat and not true. Democrats run the census and they fudge the stats.
Plus who really admits the truth about not having a high school degree?
Even the graduation rate of those that attended high school is < 70%.
But far more students drop out by middle school. Only 3500 public school students graduated in 2015.
In a city with > 650K residents that is a really low number of students that graduate.
But the money spent on students in Baltimore is excessive.

http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/...ease-FINAL.pdf

Think better pizza!

Old 02-05-2017, 10:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I guess the Black middle class in Baltimore proper is more or less a myth.
When was it ever alleged that the black middle class lives in the city? I thought it was common knowledge they move to the county ASAP.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

This is all fake news and I don't believe any of it.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I buy and sell homes in Baltimore City. Most of the house which I don't buy are subsidized by the state and the residents are just renters. They pay very little, if at all.

Don't be fooled by the govt stats on Baltimore. For example, I'm told half the children in Baltimore City drop out before high school. Of those that remain ~ 70% graduate. So if you consider the entire picture, the graduation in Baltimore is far less than the 70% they claim. It's democrat propaganda to hide the truth.

The OP might be talking about Baltimore City and County, not Baltimore City!
Since Maryland students need to stay in school until they are 17 now, I doubt that many middle-schoolers are dropping out - though I'm sure that there are a few overage kids dropping out of the 9th grade. As I said before, Baltimore graduates a lot of students in a fifth year of high school which boosts the graduation rate quite a bit. Who told you that half of city students drop out before high school? Do they have any particular analytical knowledge of demographics? You say that the Census is "democrat propaganda" but its numbers are produced for every city and county nationwide. Do those Democrats fudging the numbers in Baltimore manipulate the numbers only in Baltimore or everyplace? That seems like a lot of work with very little upside for the people people working the conspiracy. If they are just fudging Baltimore's stats, why do they care so much about Baltimore?

Finally, virtually everybody (including progressive activists) makes a presumption that everyone living in Baltimore City grew up in the city. This makes it seem as though higher incomes and educational attainment for whites are mostly caused by advantages given to the city's white population while growing up here. Knowing some city kids who have gone to expensive private schools, there is clearly some of that. None the less, there aren't enough white kids in Baltimore to make much of a difference. As I said before, the lions share to the white population in Baltimore that is well educated moved here from elsewhere. The fact that the overall city population is significantly better educated than the public school population is largely caused by an influx of adults not native to the city.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Since Maryland students need to stay in school until they are 17 now, I doubt that many middle-schoolers are dropping out - though I'm sure that there are a few overage kids dropping out of the 9th grade. As I said before, Baltimore graduates a lot of students in a fifth year of high school which boosts the graduation rate quite a bit. Who told you that half of city students drop out before high school? Do they have any particular analytical knowledge of demographics? You say that the Census is "democrat propaganda" but its numbers are produced for every city and county nationwide. Do those Democrats fudging the numbers in Baltimore manipulate the numbers only in Baltimore or everyplace? That seems like a lot of work with very little upside for the people people working the conspiracy. If they are just fudging Baltimore's stats, why do they care so much about Baltimore?

Finally, virtually everybody (including progressive activists) makes a presumption that everyone living in Baltimore City grew up in the city. This makes it seem as though higher incomes and educational attainment for whites are mostly caused by advantages given to the city's white population while growing up here. Knowing some city kids who have gone to expensive private schools, there is clearly some of that. None the less, there aren't enough white kids in Baltimore to make much of a difference. As I said before, the lions share to the white population in Baltimore that is well educated moved here from elsewhere. The fact that the overall city population is significantly better educated than the public school population is largely caused by an influx of adults not native to the city.
What an awful law. I'd let kids drop out after 8th grade at any age. If they don't want to be there and their families can't get them to stay there why waste time? They'll just distract from those that want to learn. They can always return in adulthood where they'll be more mature and get more out of school.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:59 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'd let kids drop out after 8th grade at any age.
If they don't want to be there and their families can't get them to stay there why waste time?
Abandoning this dynamic, of focusing schools and faculty on those who can come prepared, who want to be there
and will do the work, is one of the two worst things to happen to public education in the last forty years.

The other of the top two worst things to happen to public education is allowing the creation of charter schools and such
which in almost all cases are rooted in a direct response by involved parents to compensate for the former.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Since Maryland students need to stay in school until they are 17 now, I doubt that many middle-schoolers are dropping out - though I'm sure that there are a few overage kids dropping out of the 9th grade.
You doubt wrong, as most students in Baltimore City Public schools do drop out.
You obviously don't live in Baltimore or you would probably know this fact.

Of those that don't drop out by 9th grade, its' still not great -
The study, which analyzed 2004 data, found that 34.6 percent of Baltimore high school students graduated four years after they began school. Detroit had the worst graduation rate, 24.9 percent, and Cleveland was next, with 34.1 percent.

Democrats don't expect much out of Baltimore City students, except that they vote demorat when they get older!

Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You doubt wrong, as most students in Baltimore City Public schools do drop out.
You obviously don't live in Baltimore or you would probably know this fact.

Of those that don't drop out by 9th grade, its' still not great -
The study, which analyzed 2004 data, found that 34.6 percent of Baltimore high school students graduated four years after they began school. Detroit had the worst graduation rate, 24.9 percent, and Cleveland was next, with 34.1 percent.

Democrats don't expect much out of Baltimore City students, except that they vote demorat when they get older!
So you are saying that large numbers of students are turning 17 while they are in 7th or 8th grade? That would require being held back no less than three times. Despite occasional claims to the contrary, I am pretty sure that even students that aren't learning anything start getting passed through school via "social promotions" rather than being held back more than twice. Because of social promotions, almost no students reach age 17 before they reach 9th grade. I am open to being refuted but I would like see someone besides you talking about middle school dropouts. Almost anything can be found on the web but I couldn't find one word about kids dropping out prior to high school in Baltimore.

I'm not claiming that city schools are generally adequate. Instead, I'm arguing that the school system uses social promotions in order to pass failing students from grade to grade. By the way, I have lived in Baltimore City for 30 years and I live in the hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: