Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times

Advertisements

*Interesting!

Report highlights economic disparities between races in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun
Report highlights economic disparities between races in Baltimore

Carrie WellsContact Reporter The Baltimore Sun

A new report examines the economic disparities between races in Baltimore.

A report released Monday paints in stark numbers what many already know: There is a significant gap in wealth between whites and other races in Baltimore.
Median household income for African-Americans in Baltimore is nearly half that of whites, $33,801 compared to $62,751, according to the report by the Corporation for Enterprise Development, a nonprofit based in Washington. More than two-thirds of black residents of Baltimore don't have enough liquid savings to survive for three months in case of job loss, compared to less than a third of whites. And the unemployment rate for black households in Baltimore is more than three times the rate for white households.
"The most overall important finding is how deeply segregated by race and how much race is an indicator of economic position in Baltimore," said Dedrick Asante-Muhammad, director of group's Racial Wealth Divide Initiative and a co-author of the report. "I think looking at racial economic inequality gives a more quantifiable way of looking at racial issues."
The study's authors don't make recommendations on specific policies, but CFED plans on working with six Baltimore nonprofits over the next year to address economic disparities. They include the Center for Urban Families, the Druid Heights Community Development Corp. and the Latino Economic Development Center.

The report also found that a third of households of color in Baltimore have zero net worth. About 42 percent of black households own homes, compared to 60 percent of white households. And just 13 percent of black adults have a bachelor's degree or higher, compared with 51 percent of white adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
There is a significant gap in wealth between whites and other races in Baltimore..
There is a significant gap in wealth between those who paid attention in school,
accumulated useful skills and then applied them in their lives compared to those who didn't.

Do you suppose there is any sort of correlation to be found?

Old 01-31-2017, 12:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Interesting!

Report highlights economic disparities between races in Baltimore - Baltimore Sun
Report highlights economic disparities between races in Baltimore

Carrie WellsContact Reporter The Baltimore Sun

A new report examines the economic disparities between races in Baltimore.

A report released Monday paints in stark numbers what many already know: There is a significant gap in wealth between whites and other races in Baltimore.
Median household income for African-Americans in Baltimore is nearly half that of whites, $33,801 compared to $62,751, according to the report by the Corporation for Enterprise Development, a nonprofit based in Washington. More than two-thirds of black residents of Baltimore don't have enough liquid savings to survive for three months in case of job loss, compared to less than a third of whites. And the unemployment rate for black households in Baltimore is more than three times the rate for white households.
"The most overall important finding is how deeply segregated by race and how much race is an indicator of economic position in Baltimore," said Dedrick Asante-Muhammad, director of group's Racial Wealth Divide Initiative and a co-author of the report. "I think looking at racial economic inequality gives a more quantifiable way of looking at racial issues."
The study's authors don't make recommendations on specific policies, but CFED plans on working with six Baltimore nonprofits over the next year to address economic disparities. They include the Center for Urban Families, the Druid Heights Community Development Corp. and the Latino Economic Development Center.

The report also found that a third of households of color in Baltimore have zero net worth. About 42 percent of black households own homes, compared to 60 percent of white households. And just 13 percent of black adults have a bachelor's degree or higher, compared with 51 percent of white adults.
I guess the Black middle class in Baltimore proper is more or less a myth.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:05 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
Over 75% of Baltimore residents are on the dole(welfare).
So city residents have it easier than many in the suburbs that have to work for a living.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Over 75% of Baltimore residents are on the dole(welfare).
So city residents have it easier than many in the suburbs that have to work for a living.
Could you come up with some sources for your facts? According to report S2201 One Year Estimates, the percent of Baltimore households using the SNAP (Food Stamp) program is 26.0% vs 12.8% for the US as a whole. For Medicaid the story is similar: 25.4% for Baltimore and 15.3% for the US. You can look this stuff up without too much trouble (though the Medicaid reports are confusing - I used the S2704.) Census estimates that 21.3% of all Americans receive some form of public assistance: 21.3% of US Participates in Government Assistance Programs Each Month . I don't have a number for Baltimore but if you double the US totals, based one the usage of the big programs, you come up with about 43% . That is high, but not 75%. The percentage for the US as a whole is also pretty high.

Also, people forget that lots of working people receive means tested benefits. I know someone who has moved in and out of the SNAP program multiple times but was never completely unemployed and never received unemployment benefits. That is the kind of hard life that I have thankfully been able to avoid.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:53 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that about 3/4 of Black city residents were born in Maryland while about half of White residents were (B06004A&B.) I don't know where to find the statistic, but I'm pretty sure that even among Maryland born residents a much higher percentage of Blacks than Whites have lived in the city their entire lives. Among college graduates, only 47,000 of 127,000 were born in Maryland (B06009.) If Black Baltimorians accuse the relatively well off White population of being a bunch of outsiders (and they sometimes do,) they would be pretty accurate.

I'm not sure that having higher earning better educated people move into Baltimore hurts the native born population, but I would like to see the case for that. It would be interesting. It might be a stretch to accuse better educated outsiders of taking all the blue collar jobs.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
Quote:
Could you come up with some sources for your facts?
I buy and sell homes in Baltimore City. Most of the house which I don't buy are subsidized by the state and the residents are just renters. They pay very little, if at all.

Don't be fooled by the govt stats on Baltimore. For example, I'm told half the children in Baltimore City drop out before high school. Of those that remain ~ 70% graduate. So if you consider the entire picture, the graduation in Baltimore is far less than the 70% they claim. It's democrat propaganda to hide the truth.

The OP might be talking about Baltimore City and County, not Baltimore City!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that about 3/4 of Black city residents were born in Maryland while about half of White residents were (B06004A&B.) I don't know where to find the statistic, but I'm pretty sure that even among Maryland born residents a much higher percentage of Blacks than Whites have lived in the city their entire lives. Among college graduates, only 47,000 of 127,000 were born in Maryland (B06009.) If Black Baltimorians accuse the relatively well off White population of being a bunch of outsiders (and they sometimes do,) they would be pretty accurate.

I'm not sure that having higher earning better educated people move into Baltimore hurts the native born population, but I would like to see the case for that. It would be interesting. It might be a stretch to accuse better educated outsiders of taking all the blue collar jobs.
I think ita more about perception. Some native born may be at odds with outsiders over cultural norms especially in transitional neighborhoods...Hanging on the corner drinking a beer out of a paper bag may be a norm in Baltimore but not in Des Moine thus calls to BPD to break up a corner are met with animus when the officer says they received a complaint from a neighbor...using chairs to guard dug out parking spaces( though newcomers are adopting it to) hacking (not computers) and other things are somewhat unique. I can also see politicos feeling threatend by changes in their electorial base and. Flaming the issue to ralley their base.....

Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
I buy and sell homes in Baltimore City. Most of the house which I don't buy are subsidized by the state and the residents are just renters. They pay very little, if at all.

Don't be fooled by the govt stats on Baltimore. For example, I'm told half the children in Baltimore City drop out before high school. Of those that remain ~ 70% graduate. So if you consider the entire picture, the graduation in Baltimore is far less than the 70% they claim. It's democrat propaganda to hide the truth.

The OP might be talking about Baltimore City and County, not Baltimore City!
OK, so you are saying that you make up facts to match your perceptions?

Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
OK, so what of it? This report (or at least the excerpt that the OP posted) tells us nothing except that white people in Baltimore are financially better off than black people. It says nothing about why this is, or what could be done to raise up black wealth without tearing down white wealth.

So, I'll just cut to the chase: it's racism. Always and ever, it's racism. Anytime white people are shown to be better off than black people, it's racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: