Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 4,320 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to the Baltimore area, and my wife and I are both working at Hopkins Bayview. We're looking to buy a house in/around Baltimore county, but are unsure of some neighborhoods. We live in Carney right now, which is very convenient. Some of the other neighborhoods that we were considering were Perry Hall, Nottingham, Essex-Middle River. We were hoping to spend less than $250 K, likely for a townhouse (seems to be imposible to find a single family for this price). Our concerns are: crime/safety, schools (we're expecting our first child this coming summer), and overall setting/community of the neighborhood. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM

36 posts, read 120,416 times
Default Move from Baltimore

I grew up in Carney..all my life. I am now married, with two beautiful children. I wouldn't move back to the east coast if you paid me a million dollars. We have llived in TX now for 14 years....it is THE best place to raise children. Very family friendly, good schools (private), excellent climate, excellent business, economy, housing, etc. My husband used to move wherever the work was....but now we realize that quality of life is really what it's all about. You can buy a BEAUTIFUL 3500 sq. ft. home for around $180-200K in a GOOD brand new subdivision...with community clubhouse, pool, playground, exercise room, jogging trails, tennis courts....it's like your own country club. MOST new home communities have all of these amenities here in TX. I LOVED growing up in Carney.....and go back to visit family and friends but it's changed....and also, I just don't like to expense and dirtiness of east coast cities anymore. I like to visit the east coast...lots of culture, etc. But as a place to be planted with family...you can't beat it here. You mention Bayview as work situation. There are a LOT of very good medical facilities in TX. My advice is to get jobs elsewhere. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:25 AM

222 posts, read 1,054,311 times
If you want to stay in MD (like us) I would suggest Towson, Perry Hall, White Marsh, Nottingham - most of what you have named. Hubby and I both think Essex will get more popular in the next decade, but we are buying a SFH soon and were looking for something nice, safe now for our 2 kids. We have found what we like in Perry Hall, and are fixing up our condo to sell. If you look hard and are willing to take something in need of minor repairs I thin you should be able to get a SFH at around $250k, maybe not less though. I'm seeing a few in Parkville/Carney under $300k. If you wait a few months, prices may drop further!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM

689 posts, read 3,216,641 times
A repeat of the TOS for those who aren't familiar with the board rules:

Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to Business Profile Addition and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by PMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore