Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 17,705 times

Advertisements

With the huge rise in violence in Baltimore, what will it take for residence and politicians to realize that it's time to make an aggressive effort to stop the amount of violence that has occurred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 04:05 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieJoe View Post
With the huge rise in violence in Baltimore, what will it take for residence and politicians to realize that it's time to make an aggressive effort to stop the amount of violence that has occurred?
I agree 1000%. Crime has really gotten out of hand, and nobody seems to have a solution for it. What methods did other cities apply to curb their crime issues??

Old 11-18-2017, 04:19 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Giving Martin O'Malley credit, his administration when he was Mayor put a major dent in crime. Lots of complaints because laws were being enforced (just like Giuliani in NYC, broken window theory of law enforcement) which culminated in his being blamed for the riots. Claim was he was too tough.

That's what it takes, though. Enforce everything. Catch the small stuff (which was kind of the Freddie Gray situation, known felon hanging out in a known open air drug market) and numbers of big stuff drops.

A note, I am in no way, shape or form a fan of Martin O'Malley. In fact, I can't even stand being in the same room with him. A sentiment that dates back to when he was on Baltimore City Council.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,332 times
Since the Freddie Grey riots, the city had been on a steep incline in crime. Its a mixture of the drugs that were looted, police hesitant in doing their job and the city government failing to bring in jobs.

I question the city governments official statements about crime. All you hear is repeat offenders... Repeat juvenile offenders... Are we supposed to believe that 80 property crimes and 52 violent crimes a day REPORTED, are all repeat offenders? I'm tired of listening to the same bs over and over again. I wish they would be honest and just say, I dont know.

Baltimores history has led us to this point. Certainly doesnt justify a gun to the face but how this city treated minorities was abominable. This is what happens when a community is stricken with poverty, lack of jobs and equal education, ECT. One note that should be highlighted is a black child can grow up his whole life without knowing a white child, that certainly doea not help when it comes to inclusion, connections, ECT.

In my view, the older generation is a done deal as we need to prepare the younger generation. The Chinese say it best, " One generation plants the trees so the next generation enjoys the shade."

Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
So glad I left Mobtown. So much potential but the crime, drugs, and poverty have ruined what could have been a great city.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:08 PM

605 posts, read 669,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree 1000%. Crime has really gotten out of hand, and nobody seems to have a solution for it. What methods did other cities apply to curb their crime issues??

In cities like New York, Atlanta, San Francisco, or Washington DC they basically kicked the poor people out thru gentrification/rising rents not to mention tearing down public housing units which has caused their overall crime rates to decrease. Short of that there are not any solutions that have worked in the past for other US cities. Honestly the people living in those crime ridden neighborhoods are a large part of the problem to begin with.

Last edited by beasley106; 11-19-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 03:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieJoe View Post
With the huge rise in violence in Baltimore, what will it take for residents and politicians to realize that it's time to make an aggressive effort to stop the amount of violence that has occurred?
What this guy from Philly said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYcTZD-IkgQ

Old 11-19-2017, 08:57 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Electing Conservatives but that is a PIPE DREAM.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
In cities like New York, Atlanta, San Francisco, or Washington DC they basically kicked the poor people out thru gentrification/rising rents not to mention tearing down public housing units which has caused their overall crime rates to decrease. Short of that there are not any solutions that have worked in the past for other US cities. Honestly the people living in those crime ridden neighborhoods are a large part of the problem to begin with.
It is interesting that even neighborhoods where vacancy is down and employment is up are experiencing large increases in crime. Crime is a citywide problem, especially because criminals are not only better armed, they are also more mobile than they used to be. I get to see the number of prior arrests that criminals in our area have - and it is a lot! They have probably average of eight adult arrests. One would have to guess that each criminal does at lest ten crimes between arrests. Otherwise, a life of crime wouldn't be a good job. The number of active criminals is not as large as people think. The reported addresses of "our criminals" are all over town and certainly not clustered near where they are arrested.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:37 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,488,778 times
So who's (what corporation or persons) are going to make the investment on the West side from the start?

There is generational crime, drug use, family instability and no jobs in Baltimore, so with those factors in place, how are these new generations of people suppose to move forward without ending up committing crimes or being victims of crimes?

We've had 6 police officers and other officers acquitted in the Freddie Gray incident and it seems no police will be held responsible. So policing has changed in Baltimore. Then we've lately seen cases of corrupt cops planting drugs and 2 cops shot dead in two weeks (one from MPD). So there is a whole "ish" load of things going on in Baltimore, police accountability (reduced arrests) and absolutely reduced public trust in the police, so where to start?

I never understood the politics in this city, I don't understand why there isn't any urgency to bring more jobs here and help tear down some of that blight on the west side. So, if you had to look at that crap everyday, how do you think you would do? It's not easy for people to leave their neighborhoods, they don't have the means. So the city should be more hands on with these troubled areas, but they haven't.

I don't think there is an urgency from outside sources (people with money) to change things in Baltimore. If money people decide they want to invest in Baltimore City, oh trust me, all this crap would be OVER. So as of now, there is no rush. Things might change if (1) large numbers of gentrifiers start to move to Baltimore because they have been priced out of DC, and if that happens then the money will come. Also, there will have to be a drastic change in the city transportation from what it is today. (2) if Baltimore wins the Amazon HQ2, that's a game changer or (3) developers will want to change the city overall for whatever reason or (4) Hopkins leaves (probably won't happen). Until any of these things happen, nothing will change.

Last edited by choccity; 11-20-2017 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore