Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:04 AM

850 posts, read 1,130,822 times

Advertisements

So I haven't lived in baltimore for almost 9 years now. We visited my rental house in White Marsh, my wife and I went to White Marsh mall. For some reason it looks someone "run-down" or falling away. I didn't notice many people in the mall I also noticed a lot of the well named stores were becoming these dollar stores, etc. The pet store is gone etc.

Are there talks of this mall falling away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:46 AM

167 posts, read 426,466 times
Most of the traffic is being sucked away by the open-air mall across the street, and another big-box mall just around the corner on Campbell at I-95 (Best Buy/Lowes/Target), and yet **another** open air-mall at Campbell & Franklin Square that opened with the last year (used to be a farm).

There's another mall planned to be built close by at Philadelphia and Nottingham Drive. I believe there is actually community opposition to it.

Someone had to run studies concerning retail cannibalism within that portion of the county, ignored it, and proceeded to build anyway. White Marsh Mall is bearing the brunt of the effects, but I don't expect it to stop there.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
White Marsh Mall dying?
Aren't ALL the Malls dying?

Old 05-14-2018, 02:17 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Arundel mills is always packed.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:19 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthell View Post
Most of the traffic is being sucked away by the open-air mall across the street, and another big-box mall just around the corner on Campbell at I-95 (Best Buy/Lowes/Target), and yet **another** open air-mall at Campbell & Franklin Square that opened with the last year (used to be a farm).

There's another mall planned to be built close by at Philadelphia and Nottingham Drive. I believe there is actually community opposition to it.

Someone had to run studies concerning retail cannibalism within that portion of the county, ignored it, and proceeded to build anyway. White Marsh Mall is bearing the brunt of the effects, but I don't expect it to stop there.
Payoffs to the county council by developers always override studies.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,949,479 times
Malls are akin to a pop star from decades ago: A career for six, maybe eight weeks at the end of the year with the same overplayed Christmas songs filling the airwaves, but quiet the rest of the year except to some faithful followers. I sort of see Mariah Carey as that "pop star", given that she's mostly in the news around Christmas, but you couldn't escape her on the radio in the '90s and into the 2000s decade, even at the mall in some stars. It's still holding up for the time being, but of course unlike Towson or even to a lesser degree Columbia, doesn't have a distinguished reason for coming. I did regularly visit it though when I was a little boy in the late '80s/early '90s with my late grandparents, including the Burger King at The Pic-Nic food court (Today a Red Robin). It's still around 85% occupied, so its still holding up reasonably well for the time being. It's certainly better than almost half empty Eastpoint, which will almost certainly close before White Marsh does. It was also home to one of the first Macy's in Maryland, when it replaced Bamberger's in 1986, 20 years before it bought out Hecht's. I'd just wish that the Avenue would connect directly with the mall, and I'd say if Sears went out of business, expand the Avenue by an overpass/underpass below Honeygo. I'd also consider some multifamily housing since this is also a significant commuter bus hub, and even includes Megabus service.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:21 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,877 times
Its just filled with hip hop clothing and shoes.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,961,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Malls are akin to a pop star from decades ago: A career for six, maybe eight weeks at the end of the year with the same overplayed Christmas songs filling the airwaves, but quiet the rest of the year except to some faithful followers. I sort of see Mariah Carey as that "pop star", given that she's mostly in the news around Christmas, but you couldn't escape her on the radio in the '90s and into the 2000s decade, even at the mall in some stars. It's still holding up for the time being, but of course unlike Towson or even to a lesser degree Columbia, doesn't have a distinguished reason for coming. I did regularly visit it though when I was a little boy in the late '80s/early '90s with my late grandparents, including the Burger King at The Pic-Nic food court (Today a Red Robin). It's still around 85% occupied, so its still holding up reasonably well for the time being. It's certainly better than almost half empty Eastpoint, which will almost certainly close before White Marsh does. It was also home to one of the first Macy's in Maryland, when it replaced Bamberger's in 1986, 20 years before it bought out Hecht's. I'd just wish that the Avenue would connect directly with the mall, and I'd say if Sears went out of business, expand the Avenue by an overpass/underpass below Honeygo. I'd also consider some multifamily housing since this is also a significant commuter bus hub, and even includes Megabus service.
Macy's owned Bamberger's. They realized they didn't need the name anymore and dumped it. I know, I worked at Bamberger's in 1985 in Hunt Valley.

They really have overbuilt that entire area. Builders can be tough to fight off.

I have said many times on here the zoning laws in Maryland are a joke.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:38 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yes, the premise is outdated by on line shopping and Amazon.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:40 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,651,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Arundel mills is always packed.
High crime there ,just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore