Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 3,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
^
There is a guy I know who got in a fight with a police officer and they locked him up for 20 years. 20 years. Of course he is black, and from the city. He admits it was dumb, but he was railroaded.

I can remember a time in the city when the only thing that separated the police from the hoods was the uniform. I guess it hasn't changed much, although I know it has.

Chasing around guys like Freddie Gray make little sense. You need to go after violent offenders. Stop wasting time on petty crime, police it, but don't take it to some ridiculous level, while you have an armed robber around the corner.
This.

Everyone in Baltimore is backwards. The police, politicians, etc. I honestly want to know what lens they see the city through..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
Republicans might not put a gun to your head on Monument St but I can think of a few that have stolen from people in more sophisticated ways.

Repub rank-and-file voters?

Yeah, those Tea Party folks who despise liberalism are really sophisticated white collar crooks.

Then there are those Repubs of the limousine set like Bezos, Steyer, the honchos at Google, MSN, Facebook, Twitter, the guy who runs Progressive Insurance, ..... oh wait....

Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
^
There is a guy I know who got in a fight with a police officer and they locked him up for 20 years. 20 years. Of course he is black, and from the city. He admits it was dumb, but he was railroaded.

I can remember a time in the city when the only thing that separated the police from the hoods was the uniform. I guess it hasn't changed much, although I know it has.

Chasing around guys like Freddie Gray make little sense. You need to go after violent offenders. Stop wasting time on petty crime, police it, but don't take it to some ridiculous level, while you have an armed robber around the corner.
How many other charges did he have unrelated to that one and what were they? Unless he stuck a knife into the cop his attorney would have pled that down to simple assault and he might have done three months. Now, that wouldn't happen if he had a rack of prior charges, especially if they involved violence, and he was on probation or parole.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:56 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I’m disgusted with people who claim to be “leaders”, who are here to solve our problems. I remember this program when I lived in Virginia. It was hugely successful but unpopular because it consistently dealt out what some consider to be harsh punishment.

“Imagine This Scenario
Imagine one of the most violent cities in the nation. Now think about the seemingly impossible. Imagine that in one year’s time:

• 327 persons were indicted for federal gun violations;
• 440 illegally possessed firearms were taken off the streets;
• 300 persons were arrested or held in state custody;
• 222 arrestees (more than 74 percent) were held without bond;
• 247 criminals were convicted; and
• 196 criminals were sentenced to an average of 55 months of imprisonment.

Now think about the result of such an effort.

Homicides in this city declined 33 percent, the lowest since 1987, and armed robberies dropped 30 percent. In 1999, homicides dropped another 21 percent. By 2007, homicides were reduced by more than half of what they were in the year before the program was implemented.”

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/a...-americans-do/

It was called Project Exile and it is simplicity itself to be implemented in any place. It just takes the will.... but our so called leaders do not have it.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:02 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
^
Of course look at the source. And they got rid of everybody. Yeah, I think of Richmond, and compare the size and scope of the situation to Baltimore.

Whenever I want to hear right wing have truths and nonsense this should be one of the firsts sites I come to.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
^
Of course look at the source. And they got rid of everybody. Yeah, I think of Richmond, and compare the size and scope of the situation to Baltimore.

Whenever I want to hear right wing have truths and nonsense this should be one of the firsts sites I come to.
Typical ad hominem attack. A little research on your part would have shown that the project existed and was wildly successful. Try looking at the data for once instead of just getting glandular because you don’t like who’s saying it. And I’m a registered Libertarian and have voted, Green, independent, Democrat, Republican and Libertarian during my life. You don’t know me so you don’t know WTf you’re talking about. Someone says something you don’t like so you just lump them into a category. There’s a name for people like that. See if you can figure it out.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:47 PM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
This study is by a corporate entity (ADT)?
Give me a break. Based upon what data?
The amount of people with ADT?
Any corporate entity can put out a study
to align with a certain agenda. The public
usually take them as truth without critical
analysis.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:51 PM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m disgusted with people who claim to be “leaders”, who are here to solve our problems. I remember this program when I lived in Virginia. It was hugely successful but unpopular because it consistently dealt out what some consider to be harsh punishment.

“Imagine This Scenario
Imagine one of the most violent cities in the nation. Now think about the seemingly impossible. Imagine that in one year’s time:

• 327 persons were indicted for federal gun violations;
• 440 illegally possessed firearms were taken off the streets;
• 300 persons were arrested or held in state custody;
• 222 arrestees (more than 74 percent) were held without bond;
• 247 criminals were convicted; and
• 196 criminals were sentenced to an average of 55 months of imprisonment.

Now think about the result of such an effort.

Homicides in this city declined 33 percent, the lowest since 1987, and armed robberies dropped 30 percent. In 1999, homicides dropped another 21 percent. By 2007, homicides were reduced by more than half of what they were in the year before the program was implemented.”

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/a...-americans-do/

It was called Project Exile and it is simplicity itself to be implemented in any place. It just takes the will.... but our so called leaders do not have it.
Sorry. I am not about to trust any organization with a far right agenda like America 1st Freedom
(which, BTW, is the journal of the NRA).

Old 04-07-2019, 04:59 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Sorry. I am not about to trust any organization with a far right agenda like America 1st Freedom
(which, BTW, is the journal of the NRA).
An overview from 538, although it deals more on Project Exile in Rochester, NY.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-in-rochester/

Maryland had it for awhile.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-md/maryland-exile

Being likely readopted in Richmond.

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/...0f01b12c2.html

Old 04-07-2019, 06:46 PM

This is such a problem these days. People never seem to look beyond WHO is saying something. Fools get it right sometimes and geniuses, being only human, get it wrong plenty of times. People simply decide that they don’t like the source, therefore the information must be false and never bother to try to verify or falsify the actual information.

SMH...amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore