Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 07:49 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times

Advertisements

My understanding is that Baltimore's public school system has been historically underfunded basically from its beginnings, thus the growth of many good private schools in the area.

City College is actually doing well, was Blue Ribbon not long ago IIRC.

Poly I hear is slipping, not as rigorous as it once was, know a lot of Poly grads.

One thing Alonzo did (last BCPS CEO) was make it so that once a kid gets into one of the elite high schools, they cannot be thrown out for grades (got this from a City teacher, stuck remediating those falling behind). Change is the only permanent in thsi world, but the erosion of high standards serves no one, certainly not excellence.

Baltimore's decline is more than desegregation; I attribute it more to the inevitable decline for the WW2 production boom and the change of the US economy from a healthy 3 sector model to increasing teh consumer sector while the industrial sector languished. But what can we expect? Muscle labor jobs go where muscle labor is cheaper, period. Besides, Beth Steel was never really modernized (open hearth anyone?) and the US helped Germany and Japan rebuild (the lesson from the Treaty of Versailles) and they went on to produce high quality desirable industrial products for less.

Despite the handicap of multigenerational discrimination, today's world is all about economics and class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
...today's world is all about economics and class.
As opposed to the world at previous points in time?

Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
As opposed to the world at previous points in time?
I think the argument can be made that race is not indicative of class today and that class is the dividing line whereas prior race was a larger part of it.

As for manufacturing, there is still a fair bit of it in the US, but it is largely robotics and not human labor, so fewer employees are needed. Gone are the days of the low skill/high wage industrial jobs, seemingly replaced with low skill/low wage service sector jobs.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:15 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default A new take on Baltimore

Paul Kersey's book "Exit from Detroit" was called "racist" by an "angry white man." Now he examines Baltimore in "The City That Bleeds."

The City that Bleeds: Race, History, and the Death of Baltimore: Paul Kersey: 9781495929748: Amazon.com: Books

Old 05-20-2014, 10:20 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Paul Kersey's book "Exit from Detroit" was called "racist" by an "angry white man." Now he examines Baltimore in "The City That Bleeds."

The City that Bleeds: Race, History, and the Death of Baltimore: Paul Kersey: 9781495929748: Amazon.com: Books

Ooh boy!!
This will open a can of whoop-ass!
Imagine placing the blame for a city's downfall on the people who live there and the politicians who run them!
What an insane concept!
We all know the REAL reason is that...uh, well uhmmm, it's not that, but that uh, it's like complicated and stuff, and all we know for sure is that we NEED lots mo' money from the State and the Fed. Especially the Fed. Lots more from the Fed. They should feel guilty about what they've done to US! Certainly more guilty than the State. And certainly a lot more than US, I mean, all we did was uh, uuhmm, well like I said, it's like complicated and stuff.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,622 times
Default One way to read it

I looked at a sample chapter on my Kindle and was not impressed. Cut and paste, with no original research but lots of opinions. You remember the old Yiddish saying about opinions. I'm not sure the author knows Baltimore, except that he wants to offer his diagnosis.

Anyway, if you are Kindle Prime member you may borrow this book for free. Keep it as long as you want. The only hitch is that you may not borrow anything else until you return this one.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,973 times
Let's pollute city data by promoting white supremacist literature. That's a great idea......NOT!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:38 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
I too looked at some of the samples of "Kersey's" books. While I'm not going to argue for the validity or accuracy of his research, I am intrigued by one of his concepts.
Leaving all racial sentiments out of the argument, can one not posit that the current state of affairs in cities such as Detroit and Baltimore are in large part the fault/responsibility of its residents and the politicians they keep in office?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
I too looked at some of the samples of "Kersey's" books. While I'm not going to argue for the validity or accuracy of his research, I am intrigued by one of his concepts.
Leaving all racial sentiments out of the argument, can one not posit that the current state of affairs in cities such as Detroit and Baltimore are in large part the fault/responsibility of its residents and the politicians they keep in office?

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM

451 posts, read 1,227,973 times
Of course one can posit that idea. I've lived in both cities for multiple years, and residents in both cities are in part responsible for the state of affairs. My issue is with the fact that the author explicitly advocates the idea that blacks are BIOLOGICALLY inferior. I am not attempting to be the PC police here, personal responsibility is a real thing and should be discussed. What I am doing is calling out white supremacy when I see it. And that is not something we can just set aside when posters are casually promoting these ideas. I'm sure all us fair minded posters can agree with that, right?

So in the future if someone wants to recommend a relevant book, lets make sure it's not written by a white supremacist (or any type of supremacist for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore