Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 04:18 PM

61 posts, read 176,881 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I am just really curious about these areas, because I never hear of anyone mention it. That would be Dundalk, Essex, and Middle River.

I would like to know what everybody always wants to know . How's the crime and how's the rent? Also, how's public transportation within the area and also to Baltimore City. I would also like to know do Whites and Blacks live amongst each other or is it predominantly White. In other words can a Black family feel comfortable living there ?

Thanks in advance for your insight

- Queenz Gurl

Last edited by QueenzGurl; 07-05-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 25,678 times
Default Essex,Middle River,Dundalk

I am a black mother and my family and several of my friends have lived here in the three areas for years. My sister and one friend lives in dundalk, most of my friends and i live in essex and several friends live in middle river. It is a mixture of black and white and while there is still some prejudice it is very little. There is a large amoun of inter-racial couples out here and I love the fact that my kids can play out side without having to snatch them up for fear of a drive by. transportation has greatly improved as it is accessible by mass transit. Crime unfortunately is everywhere, but at least you can sit on your porch with out fear, go to the store with out being robbed and come in late from work with out looking over your shoulder. Occassionally you will hear of a house breaking or some isolated gang incident in one of the lower class apartment complexes. Just be sure before moving in to get a police blotter and you can see what apartment complexes you don't want to live in.

Last edited by ladycbigdiva; 07-10-2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 AM

99 posts, read 328,905 times
Default bad rap for area

Unfornately the areas of southeastern Baltimore county have been given a bad rap. The reasoning was it was heavily industrialized and lots of blue collar workers. I believe the county still hasn't done its fairness to revitalize the communities. The region is surrounded by water which is a rich commodity with marinas, parks, and new beautiful waterfront homes. Years of government neglect allowing slum landlords to allow anyone to rent such as drug dealers, junkies, ex-cons and low life has given Essex. Dundalk & Middle River a blackeye. THe Baltimore magazine never mentions the area and begins with Rosedale. Their ignorant to facts like Marshy Point., Rocky Point golf course, Bowleys Quarters, fine dining and great wateways. Note to mention insult to injury the disgusted odors from the Back River treatment plant.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
I have always lived in this area. I grew up near Eastpoint which is sort of in between Dundalk and Essex, and lived in Essex until I bought my house in Middle River about 16 years ago. I think the area has a lot to offer. With the exception of some of the new luxury waterfront developments that recently started going up, the housing is very affordable. Most areas are very diverse, which to me is essential, as my family is multi-racial. Although you can't fully escape the possibility of crime no matter where you live, I've never felt threatened or unsafe in my home. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of recreational areas around, especially with the proximity of the waterfront. In addition, we are close to shopping and to other conveniences (lots of churches if that's your thing, restaurants, etc.)

One big negative IMO is the public transportation. There are transit busses and some park-n-rides around, but no light rail and no subway. Having a car makes things a lot easier, although I guess a lot of folks do rely on MTA and find it do-able.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 57,855 times
I hear the neighborhood of Hawthorne over there is the cats p.j.'s.

LOL. do your homework prior to picking a neighborhood over there. houses in Hawthorne sell for about 200k and its an absolute ghetto warzone. My brother is a Balt.Co. cop, 6 foot 235 all muscle, and he lived in Hawthorne and was terrified for his wife and child, they moved after nine months, ask ladycbigdiva where she lives, sounds like the safer more desirable area over there, which is def. true, most of the areas in the county, far enough away from the city line are decent - check catonsville, its on the west side of the city, but you can get in for about 300k and be in a very desirable part of town.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:21 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,611 times
Don't know where omgwhydothat lives, but I'll bet it's not in Essex-Middle River. People who don't know anything personally about the area are always the first to put it down. I've lived here for 54 years and have never been the victim of a crime here. There are pockets within the zip codes - mostly in neighborhoods with a lot of rentals - where crimes are more likely to happen. But it certainly is not a ghetto by any stretch of the imagination. For those of us who don't have $300,000 plus to spend on a house, you can find very nice options in this area for well under $200,000.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 23,303 times
If anyone is interested in renting a townhome in Essex. Contract me at lauraveney@yahoo.com

Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 26,065 times
My family is moving to Essex after living in Rosedale for 28 years. I admit, hearing that the new house is in Essex made me wonder, as there's a lot of negative said about Essex. But the area is by the water, nice community, close ammenities. Waterfront homes in Essex/Dundalk/Middle River are much cheaper than in "richer" areas - but a waterfront view is a waterfront view, no matter where you are. I've never personally had any bad experiences with the people. I think it's the same every where you go: be nice to others and they'll be nice to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore