Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:19 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,714 times

Advertisements

So we are getting once a week trash & recycling pickup.

B'More Green: No trash pick up in Baltimore on Monday - An environmental blog for everyday living - baltimoresun.com

I thought the city was going to tell us but I noticed a ton of trash out today in my neighborhood Not that big of a deal

I'm wondering about the 96 gallon rule. Does this apply to multi-family homes? Is it for each dwelling unit? What is the maximum size of the can?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,593,147 times
Hopefully, this will smooth out in time but it's a big mess now. I already see many bags in the alley and our pickup isn't until Thursday. We also are scheduled for recycling tomorrow but they haven't told us if they are to do that in front or in back.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 PM

I'm going to keep a close eye on the alley behind my house to avoid getting fined.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Hopefully, this will smooth out in time but it's a big mess now. I already see many bags in the alley and our pickup isn't until Thursday. We also are scheduled for recycling tomorrow but they haven't told us if they are to do that in front or in back.
Recycling is supposed to be picked up in the same location where your trash was being picked up--I think that's citywide. That's a change for a lot of people in my neighborhood who had been putting their recycling in the front and trash in the rear for the past few years. I wish that change had been better publicized.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboltonman View Post
I'm going to keep a close eye on the alley behind my house to avoid getting fined.

I have heard that the city has hired a whole slew of "inspectors" to enforce some of the rules associated with trash/litter/dumping/recycling. I guess they figure there will be enough fines generated to pay the salaries of these individuals and then some...

I had read that there was an ordinance being proposed to limit or stop the fines generated from this type of penalty from being attached(liens) to ones property????I guess similiarly to what was/is being done with unpaid water bills??? Keeping ones home nowadays is hard enough..but ...wow...its a hell of an incentive to say.. you can lose your home if you dont keep the trash picked up or disposed of properly

Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM

689 posts, read 3,215,367 times
Quote:
I'm wondering about the 96 gallon rule. Does this apply to multi-family homes? Is it for each dwelling unit? What is the maximum size of the can?
Depending on the size of the dwelling, the owner is supposed to hire a private waste hauler and have a Dumpster.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:30 PM

3 unit property?

Old 07-15-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
3 unit property?
For three units, you're all right.

I was surprised they picked up my recycles yesterday. I really thought they
would screw up. I need more faith.

We discussed this new trash pickup strategy at work today quite a bit. Most believe in theory it is great because people will start to sort more for recycled material rather than just throwing everything out as trash.
Everyone also agrees there needs to be some sort of campaign or advise for citizens about that fact.

The bags have mounted to a new high in the alley behind my home. Glad tomorrow is the day for trash. I am sure there will be some unhappy campers tomorrow as they come through to collect. I am tempted to stay home from work tomorrow to watch.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:50 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
*tisk* *tisk* a couple of my neighbors still BELIEVE in dropping the garbage bag on the ground on trash day. I saw a white pick up truck tailing the garbage truck.. not sure if that was their supervisor the the trash police if not both. He was circling their properties like hawk preparing for the dive... I agree its gonna take a few warnings and reminders before everyone "gets it"... The City did send out notices in the mail, flyers, our association did the same.. so I am surprised that people still did the bag drop....

Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 AM

I'm not clear on this. I was told that if you put out the trash the night before, it must be in a closed-lid container but if you put it out the morning of pick-up, the bag is okay. It would be almost impossible for some homes to put out the can as the pick-up occurs in one area for the entire block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore