Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 AM

10 posts, read 39,851 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling into Baltimore the weekend after this coming weekend and have about a day to spend in the area. I'm looking for some places to see, things to do while I take the city in. I've heard about and plan on visiting the inner harbor, any other recommended spots?

Baltimore is on my short list of cities I'm considering moving to in the near future and since I'm visiting Ocean City that weekend, I wanted to spend a day scoping it out. Any other recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM

805 posts, read 2,115,567 times
Do you want to shop, eat, go to museums/historic sites, see architecture, or something else?

Old 09-15-2009, 07:54 PM

Eating is a definite in two regards, first, I'll need to eat at some point obviously, but more importantly, I love to eat (and cook) so I would be very interested in great places to eat and I eat all cuisine, BBQ to sushi. Shopping is not my intent in any regards so you can rule that out. I would say that I wouldn't mind seeing tourist or historical sites, but I'm not planning on going on tours or other guided events that will take longer periods of time.

I guess it would sufice to see, that I'm looking to get a pulse on the area and take in what it has to offer, not necessarily go through and do it all. I know that's a scratch the surface type approach, but unfortunately, its all I have.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:16 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
You definitely have to either take the Ducks Tour or better yet take the Water Taxi from the Inner Harbor/Harborplace to Fort McHenry where you get a great open view of the harbor and you get to see a mix of the touristy, industrial, port, and residential aspects of the city. The water taxi also stops in Fells Point which is a historic area and safe during the daytime. The weather this time of year is perfect for the harbor trips, and Fort McHenry is definitely worth seeing because of the history.

The aquarium is as nice as its reputation goes. If you are young you will like the bars in Fed Hill which have a lot of young people and college kids from Towson, the Maryland grad schools, Loyola, UMBC, etc. I think Phillips crabcakes are overrated but they are the most famous place, personally I prefer Camden Pub on Pratt street for their crabs. You can get a good view from the top of the WOrld Trade Center building on the harbor. Mt. Vernon is also a nice historic part of town.

Don't MOVE to Baltimore though, I'm heading to the Eastern Shore or to a more southern state right after I finish school! Though no offense between Buffalo and here I'd take Baltimore any day, snow's never been my thing.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Since you mentioned you are going to Ocean City, I would heavily recommend checking out Easton and Cambridge on the Eastern Shore which are on the way to the beach. Easton is a very historic town but you have to leave Route 50 to see the historic district which is very picturesque and truly makes you feel you are in a 50s movie set or a CMT video, LOTS of historic small town charm. Cambridge has a dramatic waterfront location on the Choptank River and a lot of history and charm as well.

I always stop at either Harris's on Kent Narrows or Portside Restaurant in Cambridge for food....good stuff, and better than any seafood I've had on the Western Shore.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Don't MOVE to Baltimore though, I'm heading to the Eastern Shore or to a more southern state right after I finish school! Though no offense between Buffalo and here I'd take Baltimore any day, snow's never been my thing.
What prompt's you to say this? Cost of living, local government, crime, poor economy?

Snow, amongst other things, has prompted me to consider alternatives. Buffalo is literally the cheapest housing market in the country, so I'm prepared regardless of where I may go, that it's going to be an upswing.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 AM

805 posts, read 2,115,567 times
I thought this thread was about a day trip to Baltimore and not moving anywhere. Talking about why to move here or not is a completely different subject.

Here is a thread that was started for a day trip to B'more:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/balti...imore-8-a.html

Ride the Ducks decided to close their Baltimore location due to the economy which is a shame because I was planning on doing the stupid thing even though I live in the city. I don't really like those tours a lot but it's different.

I would go to Fells Point during the day to get a bite to eat. There are a lot of good places so you should walk on Thames/Side streets and take a look at the different options. Koopers Tavern is nice if you just want to know of a place.

You should start at the inner harbor. Go to the Aquarium then take the taxi to Fort McHenry then Fells Point to eat. After that Mount Vernon would be good. Go to the museums there and enjoy the surroundings. If you want to get something for dinner then head over to the restaurant in b bitro in Bolton Hill. Get a table outside and marvel at the architecture.

That will show you a small, very small piece of Baltimore. I've been living in the city for a year and keep finding more to do.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:35 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,006 times
Take a trip up North Patterson Park Dr. say...North of Fayette. Also talk a walk up North Washington St. past Hopkins. You'll see what Baltimore is all about!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM

773 posts, read 2,631,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
You'll see what Baltimore is all about!
Get a life.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are youkidinme?
Take a trip up North Patterson Park Dr. say...North of Fayette. Also talk a walk up North Washington St. past Hopkins. You'll see what Baltimore is all about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
Get a life.
what's this all about? this is a legitimate request, no need for personal angst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore