Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:17 PM

775 posts, read 1,785,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgoetz View Post
Are you serious? Rundown neighborhood??
I guess terms like rundown are open to interpretation. Is it in a bombed out, boarded up, Mad Max-like (credit to original poster) Bmore neighborhood? No. But, the various abandoned warehouse buildings, the partially demolished building at the top of the hill, generally dilapidated rowhouses, etc qualify it as rundown in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Where are the more upscale places to hang out in Baltimore? I'm growing a bit bored of pubs and restaurant/sports bars.

I'm looking for places where I can get dressed up and show off my wife. Pazo is the closest I've found, and it was pretty good.

To the OP: The Walters Art Gallery has special events which I think your wife and yourself will enjoy. I attended a number of these, most of which were salsa events including dance, live entertainment, cash bar, etc. They are held on Fridays. It attracts a very diverse, mostly upscale cliental.

On Friday, February 5, they will be having a Carnival event including dance, music, cash bar, etc. I am not really one to usually go out dancing but this is usually a lot of fun and much nicer than clubbing. Anyway, here is the information:

The Walters Art Museum

Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM

By the way, Brewers Hill is run-down? Home selling for up to 400 or more. Hmmmm. Not to run down in my book.
Anyway, the warehouses being referred to are actually east of Brewers Hill and south of Greektown. I sure wish people would learn where the neighborhoods are in this town.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
By the way, Brewers Hill is run-down? Home selling for up to 400 or more. Hmmmm. Not to run down in my book.
Anyway, the warehouses being referred to are actually east of Brewers Hill and south of Greektown. I sure wish people would learn where the neighborhoods are in this town.
This is what is planned for the abandoned warehouses to the east of Brewers Hill:

Greektown housing project moves ahead
Developer in talks with potential home builders

By Lorraine Mirabella | lorraine.mirabella@baltsun.com

January 22, 2010

A Virginia developer is moving ahead with a new townhouse community on an industrial swath of Baltimore's Greektown neighborhood but scaling back more ambitious plans to build condos and apartments.

Representatives of Kettler, a land and multifamily housing developer based in McLean, Va., said Thursday they are in talks with potential builders of 125 townhouses planned for nearly 5 acres several blocks south of Eastern Avenue.

The developer, which has owned the site for six years, has the support of community members who say the project will play a key role in spurring neighborhood revitalization. Plans approved in 2006 by the city have not come to fruition because of the housing crunch and recession.

"We have the ability to get started on this block," said Charlie Kieler, a senior vice president at Kettler.

To move forward, Kettler needs city approval to modify the $200 million venture, which would have been one of the biggest residential developments in the city with more than 1,000 upscale condos, apartments and townhouses on 15 acres.

The company presented its altered plan Thursday to the city's Urban Design and Architecture Review panel. It showed the first phase of development - three-story garage townhouses on a site bounded by Fait and Foster avenues and Oldham Street.

Plans call for homes that are affordable for first-time buyers, possibly starting in the low- to mid-$200,000 range, said Luke Radlinski, director of land sales for Kettler.

The project would offer new housing in a growing part of East Baltimore near the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus and close to the expected transit stop that would serve Baltimore's proposed east-west Red Line light rail. Developers are promoting the site for its proximity to Greektown restaurants on Eastern Avenue and Patterson Park.

"We're keenly aware of the job engine that Johns Hopkins Bayview is and hope to tap into that energy that's up north of Eastern Avenue," Radlinski said. "We think our location, easily commutable and walkable, in the immediate area of Greektown and Canton ... is going to make us a draw for young professionals and young families."

Kettler's development would continue a transformation of former industrial land that has occurred from Harbor East to Canton to Brewer's Hill. It would be a crucial component in attracting additional investment to revitalize Greektown, said Jason Filippou, executive director of the Greektown Community Development Corp.

Another developer has already begun construction and sales of townhomes in the 97-unit Athena Square on a nearby site on Oldham Street.

Radlinski said Kettler has no plans now to proceed with development on the remaining nine acres it owns in Greektown. But Kettler hopes to start construction of the townhouses by early next year.

The design panel postponed voting on the proposal and asked Kettler to return after making revisions to the layout of the homes and expanding public green areas.

Copyright © 2010, The Baltimore Sun

Old 01-27-2010, 05:06 PM

I will, as usual, refrain from violating the TOS for this forum by not attacking other posters. I know it is difficult, but I prefer to correct their misstatements. The rundown area I speak of is indeed Brewers Hill. In fact, some of the abandoned warehouses are part of the old brewery complex right across Conkling St. from Blue Hill. In addition, there is a skeleton of a partially demolished 5 story building on the corner of Conkling at the top of Brewers Hill. Also, I'd love to see a rowhome in Brewers Hill actually selling for over $400,000. Nice article on Greektown, but unfortunately not relevant to the discussion.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by are you kidinme? View Post
I will, as usual, refrain from violating the TOS for this forum by not attacking other posters. I know it is difficult, but I prefer to correct their misstatements. The rundown area I speak of is indeed Brewers Hill. In fact, some of the abandoned warehouses are part of the old brewery complex right across Conkling St. from Blue Hill. In addition, there is a skeleton of a partially demolished 5 story building on the corner of Conkling at the top of Brewers Hill. Also, I'd love to see a rowhome in Brewers Hill actually selling for over $400,000. Nice article on Greektown, but unfortunately not relevant to the discussion.
I admit to a bit of an exaggeration. I really don't know the prices of homes in that area but I do know from reading various articles that it is becoming a desirable place to reside. Anyone doing an internet search will find that out.
I also admit that I really have a hard time visualizing where Brewers Hill actually is. I always thought of that area as either Canton or Highlandtown and sometimes think it is a marketing ploy to even call it by that name.
There are homes selling for quite a bit of money (not sure of the exact price) off of O'Donnell Street in the midst of the old industrial area.

And I am so glad to see you no longer want to violate the TOS rules given the fact that this is now your 20th handle for this site. I won't embarrass you with listing all of your other ones or the reasons why you have changed them.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM

239 posts, read 759,828 times
Yeah, that's not that bad of a part of town. Usual assaults and rampant vehicle crime, but you're pretty far removed from stray bullets, etc.

BTW, this weekend, thanks to MrBoltonman I'll be visiting the shops in Hampden. They look very nice.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's not that bad of a part of town. Usual assaults and rampant vehicle crime, but you're pretty far removed from stray bullets, etc.

BTW, this weekend, thanks to MrBoltonman I'll be visiting the shops in Hampden. They look very nice.
Try lunch at the Cafe Hon and don't miss 13.5% wine bar.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 15,376 times
I live on the east edge of Patterson Park, technically in Highlandtown, on the line with Canton at eastern Ave. This area has gotten way way nicer in the last 10 years of living here. Canton/Brewers Hill/Greentown, Fells Points are all great places to live now. Anything within a few blocks of Patterson park is wonderfull, especially on the south end... easy access to 895tunnel/i-95, downtown, waterfront, huge amazing park, all the zillion mom and pop shops, somewhat classy but not snobby bars & restaruants everwhere, lots of artists, but also lots of young couples with young children, a great charter school, several small private catholic schools. And you can get a really nice townhouse up here by the park for like 150 to 300k depending on the degree of renovations done. There are a few amazing ones 400 and 500k on the market from time to time. There area a fair amount of vacants on the north end of the park you could pick up for 50-90k and renovate any way you like, as this area is headed towards becomeing prime realestate as well. They won't last another 10 years, I'm confident of that.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Well, I've continued to look and try new places. Thai Landing was nasty. Owl Bar and 13th Floor were more of the same. People sitting in quiet and drinking. Grand Central was okay, but a lot more laid back than I expected.

Meli, and Adela in Fells are places I've found myself a lot lately, and I like both a lot. Didn't know they were partners until my 2nd visit. Figures.

Talara was good too. Nice staff, good service, and great ceviche. The hot dishes were overcooked, but the raw stuff was awesome. Great quality, and recipes.

Pazo is attracting an ever growing population of d-bags causing trouble, so I'm limiting my visits to earlier in the night.
I can't believe someone suggested Thai Landing as a fancy place to take your wife! And Piv's Pub? Pls try:
Sotto Sopra - Northern Italian food in a beautiful, cozy atmosphere. It is beautiful.
Tio Pepes - Spanish (from Spain, sorry I feel I even have to say that) food, well made. Great atmosphere. Worth putting on heels for.

If you want a fancy evening, take the lady on the train and go to Sequoia on the Potomac in DC. You can dress up, you can see a show at the Kennedy Center and spend a night in a hotel. If my husband took me on a "date" like that, I would be *very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore