Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 AM

177 posts, read 530,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesjs View Post
What about Brunswick?, we have only driven around it, but we thought with the college there it might have a younger population.
Brunswick is nice too. Last summer I vacationed on the water in Phippsburg, which was great and not too far from Bath and Brunswick.

I should have specified in the first post; I'm just asking about the Bangor area for now because I applied to a job there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
My friend's brother -- who just turned 21 -- moved up here from CT and is living and working in Bangor.

I saw him and his girlfriend briefly yesterday at the Downtown Market which runs through the end of the month -- artisan market plus free evening concerts...

The definitely have a circle of friends and don't seem to lack for things to do after work.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
Chemo Pond is about 6 to 8 miles from Bangor out rt. 9. I believe it is in Eddington. There are several year round homes there.. Come take a look at the house you had your eye on.
Starwalker - we went down to the outdoor market last night and was surprized at how well attended it was. Lots of crafts and some food available too. We stayed for the outdoor concert from 7 to 8. This week it was a bluegrass type music by "Evergreen". We had seen them before one New Year's Eve at the Opera House. Everone seemed to be having a great time. This entertainment is FREE.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 07-09-2010 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,797 times
I know Bangor and the surrounding area very well. I have family lving in La Grange, Hudson, and Bradford.

First: It's cold in the winter and the roads will punish you car mercilessly. The suspension will fail prematurely, the salt will corrode every part it touches. Cars and car parts rust out while the roads heave and are littlered with cracks and holes, will ruin a car in half the time of the same car's life, let's say in Tn. So, be prepared with a proper vehicle to handle snow, ice, muddy back roads, and somewhat dicey main roads north and west of Bangor

Second: If youlive outside the city like in Hudson, you will be making daily trips into Bangor to work. You will have to shop there on Saturdays and probably have Sunday to do chores around the house. Terrible commute. No traffic but hard on the car.

I would take a real hard look at Brewer, just across the river. It is a short commute and your car won't be punished in a 10 -20 mile commute every day.

As for living on a "pond", nix, nah, forgo it. The bugs in the spring and summer preclude sitting outside unless you coat yourself with Deet. It stinks and some people say it isn't very healthy for you. Furthermore, generally "ponds" are small and usually filled with milfoil or weeds and muddy bottom that make swimming in them less than desireable. I would give a nod to a lake, but not a pond. Yet I am not familiar with the pond you are referring to here.

Once again, try Brewer. You can take advantage of living in the "city" and yet if you want to go down to the coast it is about an hours ride to Ellsworth. The roads are better going toward the coast and even better at the coast since the climate can be a bit more temperate than north and west of Bangor. If you want to go up into the forest like Katadin, then you can visit there on weekends and still enjoy the area without having to live there. Me I would head to the coast.

Last edited by brien51; 07-09-2010 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 AM

177 posts, read 530,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
I know Bangor and the surrounding area very well. I have family lving in La Grange, Hudson, and Bradford.

First: It's cold in the winter and the roads will punish you car mercilessly. The suspension will fail prematurely, the salt will corrode every part it touches. Cars and car parts rust out while the roads heave and a littlered with cracks and holes, will ruin a car in half the time the same car's life let's say in Tn. So be prepared with a proper vehicle to handle snow, ice, muddy back roads, and terrible main roads north and west of Bangor

Second: If youlive outside the city like in Hudson, you will be making daily trips into Bangor to work. You will have to shop there on Saturdays and probably have Sunday to do chores around the house. Terrible commute. No traffic but hard on the car.

I would take a reall hard look at Brewer, just across the river. It is a short commute and your car won't be punished in a 10 -20 mile commute every day.

As for living on a "pond", nix, nah, forgo it. The bugs in the spring and summer preclude sitting outside unless you coat yourself with Deet. It stinks and some people say it isn't very healthy for you. Furthermore "ponds" are small and usually filled with milfoil or weeds and muddy bottom that make swimming in them less than desireable. I would give a nod to a lake, but not a pond.

Once again, try Brewer. You can take advantage of living in the "city" and yet if you want to go down to the coast it is about an hours ride to Ellsworth. The roads are better going toward the coast and even better at the coast since the climate can be a bit more temperate than north and west of Bangor. If you want to go up into the forest like Katadin, then you can visit there on weekends and still enjoy the area without having to live there. Me I would head to the coast.
Brewer could definitely be good. Also, thanks for the advice about the bugs; that didn't even cross my mind

We'd need to buy a second car if we moved up there; probably a Jeep Patriot or something along those lines. I'm used to driving in snow every winter and I know I can handle a lot; Philly got near more snow than anywhere else in the country this past winter. My car now is FWD, but it handled itself quite nicely in that 3 feet of snow, on mostly unplowed roads.

As far as commutes go, I commute from Philly to Princeton, NJ daily, which takes about an hour. That's about as far as I'd like to go, but then again, I'd have to take the harsh winters into consideration.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Chemo Pond is about 6 to 8 miles from Bangor out rt. 9. I believe it is in Eddington. There are several year round homes there.. Come take a look at the house you had your eye on.
Starwalker - we went down to the outdoor market last night and was surprized at how well attended it was. Lots of crafts and some food available too. We stayed for the outdoor concert from 7 to 8. This week it was a bluegrass type music by "Evergreen". We had seen them before one New Year's Eve at the Opera House. Everone seemed to be having a great time. This entertainment is FREE.
Well, if you come back down again (there are three more weeks I believe) look for the booth selling art and LOTS of produce (lettuce, peas, herbs...) and introduce yourself. I'll DM you with the sign name, so I won't be accused of advertising here!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
Brunswick is nice too. Last summer I vacationed on the water in Phippsburg, which was great and not too far from Bath and Brunswick.

I should have specified in the first post; I'm just asking about the Bangor area for now because I applied to a job there
I'd take Brunswick over Bangor.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:50 PM

71 posts, read 173,404 times
We bought our first home a year ago, in Brewer. I love it here. We have the best of all worlds-peaceful neighborhoods that are close to shopping and entertainment. If you can't find something to occupy you in Brewer, Bangor is just across the bridge. Ocean breezes are just a short drive away, as are green fields and forests. For me, it's the perfect place to live and raise my family.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:05 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
... Also, does anyone know anything about Chemo Pond? I saw a rental there, 2br 1ba, for $850 a month. Which, compared to living in Philadelphia where we pay $1000 a month for a loft, is amazing.
Once you get to Bangor and shop around you will find many rentals for less than $850. That is pretty much on the high end of rentals in the area.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,204 times
Welcome.

City of Bangor City of Bangor | Living In Bangor, The Economy

Rentals: Real Estate Rental & Sale » Residential Rentals :: Classified Ads from Bangor Daily News :: Bangor Daily News Classifieds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area