Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Not in the past two years.

The Penobscot has an annual flood-plain, that floods every year. That is where the Fiddleheads grow. I have about five acres in that floodplain.

The government does track the level of the river every quarter hour, and I watch it sometimes on their website. According to their records, it appears that the Penobscot floods above that annual flood-plain about every twenty years.

So we are keeping our motorhome, and if it does flood like that, we can go somewhere in our motorhome until the river drops. Maybe our home in Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 05:56 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Being on the river like that, do you ever have a problem with flooding? I've heard that during the rare hurricane, the storm surge can sometimes cause the Penobscot to flood. That ever happen as far north as Bangor and points northward?
The storm surge from hurricanes can't get above the dams just north of Bangor, although riverfront areas along the Penobscot and up the Kenduskeag can flood below those points. There was some flooding from the nor'easter we had earlier this year, for example. FB's land north of Old Town is more susceptible to spring flooding during ice-out.

And FB, I'm envious of your fiddlehead picking. That flood plain must be perfect for them.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:30 PM

46 posts, read 141,342 times
Default Corinth?

We live in Bangor, but have friends in Corinth. It is a great small town and you can get a lot for your money. We actually go out there a lot for other things. The big Pumpkin Patch is there as well good Strawberry picking at Tate's. Our friends have 5 acres with a lot of privacy. Yet they are not too far from "Downtown Corinth"
Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
The storm surge from hurricanes can't get above the dams just north of Bangor, although riverfront areas along the Penobscot and up the Kenduskeag can flood below those points. There was some flooding from the nor'easter we had earlier this year, for example. FB's land north of Old Town is more susceptible to spring flooding during ice-out.

And FB, I'm envious of your fiddlehead picking. That flood plain must be perfect for them.
I am down to only about thirty pounds left in the freezer. They sale good at the farmers market in Orono.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Downtown Corinth?

I go to the hardware store for feed and stuff; and I routinely go to Tiltons. Does Corinth have a downtown?

Coming in from Hudson on route 43, if I turn left onto route 15, that one stretch of about 50 yards before 43 splits off again to the right; is that downtown?

Or is the greater metropolitan downtown business district further down route 15?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 AM

18 posts, read 79,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Winterport is really nice.

Bucksport is nice too.

Elsworth is nice.

Searsport is okay.

I am 20 minutes North of Bangor, and on the Penobscot river. No ocean but having our kayaks tied up right behind the house in the water is neat

You could probably find a home going expensive, most are cheaper. A friend of mine just bought a 4,000 sq ft house on French Island in Old Town for a bit less. He has river frontage and a small pier.

I would really consider the Hampden - Winterport - Bucksport area. Or Elsworth!

I like up here in the un-organized townships, the taxes are crazy low. You have never heard of such low taxes as Maine, this is great.

But we do have a lot of moose, beaver, turkey, deer, and bear.
Sounds great to me! I did a lot of canoeing in my younger years. I swam a class 3 part of the Dead River by accident! We are staying in Great Pond in a few weeks which is a town of 43 people. We will look more closely at the un-organized Townships too. The fewer taxes the better. I want to be out of civilization but want to be able to get there without too much trouble. We will look at all these great options. Thanks again!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Maine really is a combination of entirely different cultures. [not unlike California]

While some folks live in the more urban areas and complain about taxes; other live in rural areas, listen and scratch their heads.

Bangor is great as a small-ish city, it has the big box stores, and the cultural events, and parades, etc. So having it within an easy drive is nice.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM

18 posts, read 79,482 times
we can spend a bit more if it's not a fixer upper. If it needs work we need cash to do it. We would be doing it all wrong in that there is not a job lined up which is risky, so we would want a zero mortgage, which 150K or more for a home all set to go, would provide with some left over to get us through. My husband has a great work history, military including Iraq service plus a CDL license so we should at least find something but need cash to fall back on.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 PM

46 posts, read 141,342 times
"Downtown Corinth" was a joke!
It's close enough to Bangor it does not really need one. There are so many choices close to here, especially if schools are not an issue. The public schools are being redistricted here, so your kids may not go to school in the town you live in.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:42 PM

With the school re-districting coming up, it is hard to predict how anything will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area