Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,210 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm sure a search would have produced some results ; which however, times have changed the banking world.
My question is which bank is most popular in Maine, especially the Bangor area and northward? Credit Unions and community banks are preferred.

Thanks in advance.

Medicman 14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,493 times
I have used Bangor savings for years and dont have complaint one about them. My mortgage is through them also. Free atm everywhere. Plenty of locations.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Most popular? No idea.

When I first got to Maine, I tried to open an account with Penobscot County C.U. in Old Town, I deposited some cash and filled out their paperwork to have a simple share/checking account. They were not able to finish opening my account that day, so they recommended that I return in a few days. I went back in a week later to see if Penobscot County C.U. had finished their end of opening that account for me. But Penobscot County C.U. had lost my paperwork, fortunately I had my receipt.

So I filled out the forms a second time and went away. This happened a third time, a fourth time, and a fifth time. It was during my sixth time into the Penobscot County C.U. office that I finally decided that I had enough of their bumbling. Eight weeks has passed and I figured that was plenty of time to do what any other institution can do in 2 minutes. I demanded that they give me back my deposit. The Penobscot County C.U. branch manager decided that to refund my cash they would have to charge me a holding fee for having held my money for the 8 weeks. I was somewhat rabid.

The manager was going on about how she would have liked to help me, and how she should have been able to figure it out, and if only she could have blah blah. After her second time through her Would'a, should'a, could'a routine; I began dialing 911 to report Grand Larceny, suddenly a clerk figured out how to refund me my cash. With my finger on the dial button of my cellphone, the Penobscot County C.U. clerk handed me back my cash.

I have dealt with many incompetent people in my life. IMHO Penobscot County C.U. beats them all in terms of incompetency.

We use Peoples United Bank.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
I use People's too.

Quote:
I demanded that they give me back my deposit. The Penobscot County C.U. branch manager decided that to refund my cash they would have to charge me a holding fee for having held my money for the 8 weeks. I was somewhat rabid.

The manager was going on about how she would have liked to help me, and how she should have been able to figure it out, and if only she could have blah blah. After her second time through her Would'a, should'a, could'a routine; I began dialing 911 to report Grand Larceny, suddenly a clerk figured out how to refund me my cash. With my finger on the dial button of my cellphone, the Penobscot County C.U. clerk handed me back my cash.
LOL! I would have done the same thing (and did something similar once, at a different bank). Good on ya.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most popular? No idea.

When I first got to Maine, I tried to open an account with Penobscot County C.U. in Old Town, I deposited some cash and filled out their paperwork to have a simple share/checking account. They were not able to finish opening my account that day, so they recommended that I return in a few days. I went back in a week later to see if Penobscot County C.U. had finished their end of opening that account for me. But Penobscot County C.U. had lost my paperwork, fortunately I had my receipt.

So I filled out the forms a second time and went away. This happened a third time, a fourth time, and a fifth time. It was during my sixth time into the Penobscot County C.U. office that I finally decided that I had enough of their bumbling. Eight weeks has passed and I figured that was plenty of time to do what any other institution can do in 2 minutes. I demanded that they give me back my deposit. The Penobscot County C.U. branch manager decided that to refund my cash they would have to charge me a holding fee for having held my money for the 8 weeks. I was somewhat rabid.

I have dealt with many incompetent people in my life. IMHO Penobscot County C.U. beats them all in terms of incompetency.

We use Peoples United Bank.
Thank you for saving many folks, including me, the frustration you must have felt... A holding fee would have made my head spin.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-08-2012, 06:36 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
We have not had any big problems with People's United Bank.

Once when I was in there, their connection to the main computer was down, the clerks were frozen in motion for 10-minutes until the manager told them to shift to paper. They apologized for the inconvenience as they could not access account totals, but they went ahead doing business anyway and kept records so that when they regained access to the computer they could sync the transactions.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
A big benefit of Maine credit unions is that there are no ATM fees - anywhere in the USA. I use Lincoln, Maine FCU.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
We've been very happy with Bangor Savings. Lots of branches, no ATM fees, helpful employees. I like the fact that it isn't a national or even regional bank, and as such doesn't seem to have attracted the hacker attacks that recently put TD Bank in the news. I also like the fact that it keeps many of its mortgages rather than selling them on the mortgage market.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:25 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
I do no banking with Maine banks. I have been a 39 year member of USAA and use USAA Bank for all my banking needs, other than commercial loans, of which I have none now. I used Machias Savings Bank for around twenty years, watching that institution decline for the last ten until they became borderline insolvent and their service worse. My understanding is there is a Federal banking inspector living with them in Machias now. Maine banks are all relatively small which can be a disadvantage in terms of services offered and the cost of those services. Bangor Savings is very consistent in northern Maine so if you MUST do business with a Maine bank, I guess that's the one I'd chose. The recession has changed almost everything, including banking, and the customer as usual, is on the end of the stinky stick.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:01 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
What area of Central Maine are you talking about? Stay away from TD, and some branches of Peoples United are terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area