Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbymoulton View Post
That is just great Alice....more "power" to you.......punn intended
Actually it sounds wonderful to me.
It must be a woman thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,594 times
Memories....sigh...I grew up on the old Airline...Eddington, back when our address was RR9 Box ....

Yes the roads have improved. Winter driving was...well special. Going to Brewer High I cut up Eastern Ave and the back roads to avoid much of my Route 9. Here are my Route 9 Memories....enjoy!

1. Canadians thinking the 55 mph sign near the old Mountain View Resteraunt mean 55 kph...good luck passing them!
2. Spinning out in a snow storm and almost meeting an 18 wheeler and then a tree head on.
3. I swear i saw a wlof one night crossing...no WAS NOT a coyote
4. 13 years old and egging cars in the ditch of the Country Store at night.
5. Hiting the back dirt road for hunting and fishing that crossed to Old Town
6. Walking down to Route 9 in winter to tell Mom if the roads were clear.
7. Having an 18 wheeler rear end our school bus on a stop.
6. Working as a teenager in the rat infested Mountain View Resteraunt for some slave labor bosses...having the school bus drop me off to go to work.

And then wondering....where in the heck does this road go...you cant get there from heyah.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
At times, I have trouble picking up my 8-pound pomeranian.

With the car, I turn the key and it volunteers to move without me having to lift any weight or push it over a rough terrain. It's what I have to work with for now.

I seriously doubt I would be able to pull the cord of a generator and I am not mechanically inclined. My pomeranian isn't particularly helpful, either.
Oh, I didn't know you had trouble in that area. You need a helper orangutan.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 AM

18 posts, read 45,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
Memories....sigh...I grew up on the old Airline...Eddington, back when our address was RR9 Box ....

Yes the roads have improved. Winter driving was...well special. Going to Brewer High I cut up Eastern Ave and the back roads to avoid much of my Route 9. Here are my Route 9 Memories....enjoy!

1. Canadians thinking the 55 mph sign near the old Mountain View Resteraunt mean 55 kph...good luck passing them!
2. Spinning out in a snow storm and almost meeting an 18 wheeler and then a tree head on.
3. I swear i saw a wlof one night crossing...no WAS NOT a coyote
4. 13 years old and egging cars in the ditch of the Country Store at night.
5. Hiting the back dirt road for hunting and fishing that crossed to Old Town
6. Walking down to Route 9 in winter to tell Mom if the roads were clear.
7. Having an 18 wheeler rear end our school bus on a stop.
6. Working as a teenager in the rat infested Mountain View Resteraunt for some slave labor bosses...having the school bus drop me off to go to work.

And then wondering....where in the heck does this road go...you cant get there from heyah.
Thank you creditwitch, I needed to hear what the life style is like in that neck of the woods and get a feeling for the way of life I'm about to experience. I am looking forward to slowing down and breathing again. "that is if I make it there alive or have not become a moose delicacy."

Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger207 View Post
Thank you creditwitch, I needed to hear what the life style is like in that neck of the woods and get a feeling for the way of life I'm about to experience. I am looking forward to slowing down and breathing again. "that is if I make it there alive or have not become a moose delicacy."
Don't make the mistake of waiting as long as I did. I recalled making snow angels and snow men and being busy all day filling the yard with my snow creations. I'm afraid I waited too long. Oh, I can still make a snow man, but it has to remain a real fatty with just one big ball instead of three. And I can still make a snow angel, but I ruin it in my effort to be upright again.

Don't wait so long that you can't enjoy what you remember most.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger207 View Post
You will get a slow down that is for sure. It is what you make it. There is so much historical value in Maine. Maine history is facinating. When you go to the grocery store, get everything you need, the second trips stink! Ohhh good luck getting good pizza. (but things could have changed since I left 10 years ago). Take long walks in that snow falling, enjoy the wonderful silence!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I think the people living in the towns Forest mentioned along RT 9 would say it's good!
As a teen it STUNK!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:34 AM

18 posts, read 45,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Don't make the mistake of waiting as long as I did. I recalled making snow angels and snow men and being busy all day filling the yard with my snow creations. I'm afraid I waited too long. Oh, I can still make a snow man, but it has to remain a real fatty with just one big ball instead of three. And I can still make a snow angel, but I ruin it in my effort to be upright again.

Don't wait so long that you can't enjoy what you remember most.
I admire your will and determination Alice. It takes stamina to live off the path and live the simple way. I would need to detox from all the modern conveniences. 1 snow man coming up!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
We spent the day yesterday "in town". We had to go to Bangor for the monthly shopping. It's an all day affair. It is nice though to fill the cupboards with the depleted necessities. Shopping locally is fine for a lot of things but, I have found it saves us in the long run to but all of my basics at Hannaford's and Wal-Mart in larger quantities. It's an hour drive, scenic and pleasant on a good road. Living up here FOR ME, is wonderful. Once again,... it's the lifestyle. Because we live on a fixed income and, because Maine is higher on some things (heating being a big factor right now), I will spend today and part of the weekend baking. Bread and cookies today. Lasagna for supper.
We do hope to eventually buy or build more rurally.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Sounds lovely, msina!
Bet your kitchen smells great on the weekends
Got any new recipes to share to revive the old recipe thread???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area