Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,129 times

Advertisements

badger I was just thinking that it's too bad you drove at night....you missed some beautiful sweeping views and some nice little areas with lakes and streams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 09:22 AM

18 posts, read 45,647 times
Thank you, I believe I will have plenty of time to see the beauty when I get to Calais...and yes...even on the way there.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
So, how far northeast of Bangor do you have to go before civilization is a distant memory?
The North freeway exit in Bangor is 187.

After exit 199 the exits really begin to stretch out with longer distances between them. From 199 you have a 20 mile stretch of nothing then Howland, and on it goes.

Between exits 187 and 199 are a handful of exits, you can head out West and soon be all by yourself fairly quickly.

At exit 199 turn West and you go through tiny little towns, where you will be left alone.

Go on up to Howland and either direction you will find fairly rural very close to the freeway.

If you need access to Bangor for shopping, medical, or whatnot. Then you really do not need to travel far from Bangor to find it getting rural.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,124 times
Back in the 1980's I was in the commercial insurance biz and I owned a franchise that marketed specific kinds of insurance products to businesses that were members of various national trade associations. One of those members was a furniture company way down east someplace....I have forgotten the name or location, other than it was waaaaaaaaaaay away from my office in Falmouth.

Anyway, I remember driving up Route 95 to the Calais area to make a call on a physician client of mine, and from there went down Route One to visit this new prospective client. I planned the return to be back up Route One to Danforth, I think, and then across "The Airline". It was my first trip.

Well, the meeting with the furniture company developed into several other subjects, and it was 8:30 before I headed back. Naturally, it had started to snow as I turned onto Route 9, and by the time I had gone about ten miles the snow was about five inches deep. I had a front wheel drive Audi at the time, so winter traction was not really an issue, but man! was it ever deserted, and it seemed as though miles and miles went by without seeing any sign of life at all.

About thirty or forty miles along, I noticed a light that kept appearing on the hills behind me. At first it was just a glow as I crested hill after hill, and then it began to grow, eventually, it was recognizable that on the hill behind me was a set of headlights catching up with me.

Now, in really bad weather I was pretty cautious, but I KNEW the capability of my car in bad weather, and managed to keep a pretty good clip. I felt relatively certain that there was only ONE kind of driver that could be going like that in a snowstorm, and I figured that the car would be blue/gray in color and have blue lights on the roof.

Soon, the lights were coming closer and closer to me, and soon they pretty much filled my rear view mirror, and that is where the lights stayed. I could see that the vehicle in my rearview mirror was a large, GM car, so I naturally felt that it was a trooper.

When I got to North Ellsworth, I started to slow to make the turn to go in to town. It was then that the car passed me.

It was a hearse, with a casket in the rear.

I guess that a hearse carrying a cadaver has pretty good traction!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I guess I'm just a hermit or something, but I LOVE the idea of getting to the point where jobs and schools don't play a factor in where we live anymore. Can't wait to buy that little cabin in the woods and just disappear for weeks on end!! Nothing but the sounds of nature buzzing around me........the wind breathing in my ears.........the cracking of icy branches in a nearby tree........yep, that's the life!

So, how far northeast of Bangor do you have to go before civilization is a distant memory?
There is a whole lot of nothing on Rt 6 between Springfield & Canada. I make that trip at least once each year. I once stopped beside the road to take a picture of the frozen lake and another motorist stopped to see if I needed help.

Never did see a moose out there, but I'm itching to taste moose and I think all the moose know it.

If you really want to be lost, check out the area to the north and to the west of Baxter State Park

For property far removed from civilization, contact Northern Maine Land Man. He found just what I was looking for - pretty much the same thing with the one stipulation that it have paved road frontage. The paved road fronts my spread - after that, it turns into a dirt/gravel passage. I had to call the solid waste company because the trash collectors don't usually go that far. Perfect!

Old 01-16-2008, 10:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Not much there at all...that can be good or bad...depending.
Wait until you drive some of the roads up in Aroostook County. Makes Rt.9 seem positively over-run.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
There is a whole lot of nothing on Rt 6 between Springfield & Canada. I make that trip at least once each year. I once stopped beside the road to take a picture of the frozen lake and another motorist stopped to see if I needed help.

Never did see a moose out there, but I'm itching to taste moose and I think all the moose know it.

If you really want to be lost, check out the area to the north and to the west of Baxter State Park

For property far removed from civilization, contact Northern Maine Land Man. He found just what I was looking for - pretty much the same thing with the one stipulation that it have paved road frontage. The paved road fronts my spread - after that, it turns into a dirt/gravel passage. I had to call the solid waste company because the trash collectors don't usually go that far. Perfect!
That will likely be the next kind of property I'll be looking to buy.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:29 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
That will likely be the next kind of property I'll be looking to buy.
Too late. I already bought it.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM

18 posts, read 45,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Too late. I already bought it.
Was that you I saw walking on my property?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I don't think so. I got here first, I called 'dibs', and I already started building a house.

So there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area