Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 AM

160 posts, read 370,718 times

Advertisements

Hello one and all,

Lynn and I have returned from our three day trip to Orono. We looked at some properties in Old Town, Brewer and surrounding areas. On our way home we were thinking of doing a quick survey of what you would like to see in the Orono area as far as a restaurant. So if you could take a few minutes and answer a few questions, that would be great. So here they are:

What is your favorite eating place in the area?

What do you like and dislike about it?

What kind of menu would you like to eat from?

How far would you drive to eat there?

Do you prefer a quiet setting or one with entertainment of some form?

Any other thoughts or comments?

Thanks for your time.
Lynn and Russ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
We like the Olive Garden because of the food and handicap access. One of my first questions to you a few months ago was whether your place would have handicap access. We can't eat where there is only 20 inches between tables.

Good basic meat and potatoes home cooking and a few specialty items. Exotic restaurants don't do well here.

30 miles. We get through there about weekly.

Quiet, but a little soft background music would be OK. We are people who still converse when eating and we want to be able to hear each other.

I think a restaurant with some patriotic themes would do well. You probably saw the Governor's when you were here. Their draw is huge portions and good food, but the atmosphere is loud and chaotic.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
I was surprised to see 'Smoky Bones' close, we like pork BBQ restaurants.

'Governors' does a good business, plain food and large portions. I could see where if one or two dining rooms had dividers between booths it would help to lessen the noise and chaos. I am not sure of the wisdom in competing head-on with them [offering the same type of menu].

Olive Garden is okay for American style 'Italian' food. They could easily be out Italianed.

The steak house with the Australian theme is okay. Not as good as a Ponderosa steakhouse though.

The Oriental Jade is nice for a buffet style with a wide selection of American foods.

Capt Nicks offers seafood.

The area lacks good Mexican food, or Chinese food, or Greek. And now nobody is offering BBQ.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:12 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
A good steak house that also does some BBQ and authentic mexican entrees and appetizers. Good beer would be a big plus.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:16 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
Hand up over here! Can I speak? No, I'm not FROM or even IN the area, but.....I am a frequent restaurant patron.

I agree wholeheartedly that I HATE the loud, rowdy restaurants that have become the norm these days.

A GOOD steak and a GOOD BBQ joint are hard to find, even in a place like Houston, where there is a restaurant on every corner and two in between!

I frequently drive 30+ miles to visit my favorites.

And alcohol is a must!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn and Russ View Post
Hello one and all,

Lynn and I have returned from our three day trip to Orono. We looked at some properties in Old Town, Brewer and surrounding areas. On our way home we were thinking of doing a quick survey of what you would like to see in the Orono area as far as a restaurant. So if you could take a few minutes and answer a few questions, that would be great. So here they are:

What do you like and dislike about it?

Thanks for your time.
Lynn and Russ

i'll drive to a destination, if i like it
menu? casual, steak/seafood (a carnivore buffet, would be perfect)

quiet setting?? again, casual,,,,, some hooter girls,,and a few poles would be good entertainment

fav place,,,,actually its a diner,, reasonable prices

what i avoid;
1. places where you cant buy a beer for less than 3.50
2 places where ALL the appetizers are over 5-6 dollars
3. places where a soda (mostly ice) costs close to 2 dollars
4 places where a cup of coffee is more than 1.50

a successful place to me, would have a well-rounded menu and prices,,,,some inexpensive choices...and of course id pay for the finer fare

i do like to dine out,,,but i get very irritated,,,,on the small things,, i refuse to patronize a restaurant,,because they charged me 4.29 for two small scoops of ice cream,,

and i know ,,its not all about price,,
but im kinda weird when it comes to paying,,
it doesnt matter what i can afford on the menu,,,its the value i perceive,,

this is my views on casual dining,,,
formal dining for special ocassions is different
i recently went to a brazillion steakhouse in portland,,,they served meat on two big spears...it was great!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:53 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
The meat on the skewers is called Carne De Espit, they cook it over an open fire. It's a Portuguese style "shish kabob". There's a festival in Mass. where you buy your meat and things from the vendor and then season, skewer and cook it yourself. The skewers are about 10 feet long.

Last edited by msina; 03-06-2008 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-07-2008, 06:58 AM

160 posts, read 370,718 times
Thanks for the responses. They are a great help to us. And with what we want to do, we think we are on the right track.

Stay tuned!
Lynn and Russ

Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,436 times
Default our one pet peeve...

with restaurants in general is when the booth seating is so close -- and non-adjustable -- that larger folks are excluded. K is a big fellow for starters and his health problems has put on some weight, too... and on our travels to Maine we encountered a number of eateries where our only option was a table, and we do prefer booths.

And even at tables, there is often so much crowding that if there is someone sitting at the chair behind, even I have trouble and I am not terribly large... Gods help you if the person behind is also larger sized!

I know there is a tradeoff maximizing the number of tables so you can feed more folks, but between the handicap access, as NMLM pointed out, and those who require something other than "skinny seating" you do need to keep in mind not everyone is built like Twiggy, especially these days... Seniors, too, may need more space just to maneuver...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,202 times
I too love booths and I also don't like a crowded, noisy atmosphere. I usually have to sit at tables though because for some reason my feet don't sit flat on the floor in a booth. I'm wondering if the seats in booths are higher than at tables. I'm barely 5 foot tall. It's also a good point about older people needing more room to manuever around especially if they have canes or walkers like my 88 year old father uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area