Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 01:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times

Advertisements

"Hooters" in Maine,.. in winter,.... hmmmm... you have a "point" (or two).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 02:17 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
LOL, no apology necessary, I knew it was inadvertent.

Sorry, I knew it was the DW! I apologize.

I was just poking a little fun.

And I suppose I should cut this short since this is L&R's thread and I'm hijacking it. So, on that note, a few menu selections that I like to see:

Burgers

Meatloaf

Bangers & Mash

Beef Stew (made with Guinness, and with plenty of veggies- corn, peas, string beans, onions and maybe a little turnip...not just carrots and taters)

Filet Mignon (yeah, I'm spoiled, none of the other cuts really do it for me anymore)

Chili con Carne (y con queso)

Shepherd's Pie (beef, not lamb, plenty of gravy, with corn and peas)

A good Fettucine Alfredo (with peas and cubes of ham)

A nice, plump breast...of chicken, grilled (teriyaki or bbq baste optional)

A nice, thick Ham Steak

Plump, baked Pork Chops w/applesauce (baked in a light tomato sauce optional)

Sides:

Carrots (baby carrots in brown sugar sauce are nice)

Corn

Peas

String Beans

Taters (mashed, w/skin, plenty of butter & milk, onions, fresh-ground Tellicherry pepper and cheese, with a hint of sage) (sometimes I do Pepperjack instead of Jack or cheddar, and sometimes a healthy dose of Paprika...but my DW says the color it gives them is a bit odd)

Old 03-07-2008, 03:21 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I think you can still smoke at the Legions, Elks and VFW's but not sure. Might want to check on that. But Smoke N Joes sounds good too!
Correct on all three.

Depending upon a vote by all members of each private club, American Legion posts, VFW posts, and Elk lodges, are all allowed to smoke if their membership votes on it.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:27 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
And I suppose I should cut this short since this is L&R's thread and I'm hijacking it. So, on that note, a few menu selections that I like to see:

Burgers

Meatloaf

Bangers & Mash

Beef Stew (made with Guinness, and with plenty of veggies- corn, peas, string beans, onions and maybe a little turnip...not just carrots and taters)

Filet Mignon (yeah, I'm spoiled, none of the other cuts really do it for me anymore)

Chili con Carne (y con queso)

Shepherd's Pie (beef, not lamb, plenty of gravy, with corn and peas)

A good Fettucine Alfredo (with peas and cubes of ham)

A nice, plump breast...of chicken, grilled (teriyaki or bbq baste optional)

A nice, thick Ham Steak

Plump, baked Pork Chops w/applesauce (baked in a light tomato sauce optional)

Sides:

Carrots (baby carrots in brown sugar sauce are nice)

Corn

Peas

String Beans

Taters (mashed, w/skin, plenty of butter & milk, onions, fresh-ground Tellicherry pepper and cheese, with a hint of sage) (sometimes I do Pepperjack instead of Jack or cheddar, and sometimes a healthy dose of Paprika...but my DW says the color it gives them is a bit odd)
We used to eat at a restaurant in the basement underneath a stone castle that served a wonderful 'hunter's pie. It was a pie crust with four sections. One quarter of the pie was venison, one was rabbit, and two sections were different game fowl.

Around here I am sure that you could easily get: moose, bear, venison, chevron, game fowl, rabbit.

Yumm

Old 03-07-2008, 03:39 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,076,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We used to eat at a restaurant in the basement underneath a stone castle that served a wonderful 'hunter's pie. It was a pie crust with four sections. One quarter of the pie was venison, one was rabbit, and two sections were different game fowl.

Around here I am sure that you could easily get: moose, bear, venison, chevron, game fowl, rabbit.

Yumm
Hey, I could go for that.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
2) Places that try to be "high falutin" with a whole bunch of fancy "crap" on the menu like "Arugula and bean sprouts with fennel and pine nuts and a raspberry viniagrette dressing"- gimme a salad with Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, onions, plenty of cukes and a little radish, with a choice of French, Thousand Island or Italian dressing.
Seriously, put some gorgonzola and raisins, oh wait, I mean currants on that thing and remove the bean sprouts and you have a serious salad! Uh.....drool......

Old 03-08-2008, 03:40 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
Quote:
Hey, I could go for that.

Great to hear that! They'll need somebody to pick the stuff up beside the road. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:27 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Great to hear that! They'll need somebody to pick the stuff up beside the road. Thanks.

LOL!

The roadkill moose go too quickly up here. You can order Maine raised deer and bison from Breakneck Ridge in Blanchard though!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:39 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,088 times
Quote:
Don't put some kind of fancy sauce and mushrooms on my Filet- a good piece of meat *cooked right* (the way I ask for it***) doesn't need any additions, they only detract from it.

***(I went to a well-known chain restaurant and asked for "medium rare", they said "we don't do anything less than 'medium well'". I'm usually pretty laid-back and "laissez faire" but in this case, I think I am persona non grata in that particular establishment. Other places I've been don't seem to know what constitutes a particular degree of "doneness", when I ask for medium-rare, I don't want something that I could use to re-sole my work boots.)
AMEN, brother!! We like our meat rare to medium-rare at the most done... get a lot of "are you sure??" comments and when we eat at Golden Corral or the like, we have had the grill guy be a smart aleck and offer something he barely had put on the grill... love to watch them drop their jaw when we say, "thank you". LOL

Old 03-08-2008, 05:46 AM

160 posts, read 370,668 times
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and a good chuckle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area