Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:11 PM

124 posts, read 256,321 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband plan on moving to the Bangor Maine area i graduate Medical assistat school soon and was wondering how the jobs are out there and also what the Bangor area is like we have 2 little girls 2 1/2 and 2 months old also we are both in our younger 20s. All the information you can give us we would greatly take we have both done quite a bit of research on Maine but no point of views from ppl who actually live there. Oh and we are moving from Oklahoma if thats any help to compaire it too. We know its cold and snows unlike here lol. Thanks so much ill be waiting for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Welcome to the Forum!

I really do not know much about the medical jobs here, though we do like Maine and hope that you enjoy it too.

Have you been able to tour Maine? You really should, if you haven't.

What exactly is focusing your attention on the Bangor area?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Bangor area because i grew up in a lil bitty country town and he grew up a one of the biggest towns here.....We have not visited yet but we plan to take a 2 week trip before we actually move to find jobs and a home before we bring the girls

Old 09-12-2009, 04:36 PM

and because we wanted something not to big and not small i left that part out while i was explaning the big and lil city thing!!

Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 PM

130 posts, read 282,655 times
There's a couple really great hospitals in the bangor area.
The daughter is raising her two boys, 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 year old
There are many different areas for shopping
Lot of recreational areas throughout the entire state.
Winters have a way of being a bit snowy and cold, but after the first year you should get use to it.
And welcome

Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_t1393 View Post
Bangor area because i grew up in a lil bitty country town and he grew up a one of the biggest towns here.....We have not visited yet but we plan to take a 2 week trip before we actually move to find jobs and a home before we bring the girls
Cool

Any idea of when you would be able to come out and tour around?

The MOFGA fair is coming in a couple weeks.

The Common Ground Country Fair

A shame to miss it. But everyone has a schedule.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:31 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_t1393 View Post
Me and my husband plan on moving to the Bangor Maine area i graduate Medical assistat school soon and was wondering how the jobs are out there and also what the Bangor area is like we have 2 little girls 2 1/2 and 2 months old also we are both in our younger 20s. All the information you can give us we would greatly take we have both done quite a bit of research on Maine but no point of views from ppl who actually live there. Oh and we are moving from Oklahoma if thats any help to compaire it too. We know its cold and snows unlike here lol. Thanks so much ill be waiting for your advice!
Welcome.

A Medical Assistant degree is a good thing to have up here. We do have a college in Bangor (Beal) that has a Medical Assistant program. The graduates have traditionally not had a problem finding a job in a medical office/hospital or nursing home. Hospitals like to hire MA's for phlebotomy (although that's one of the few areas that is still on-the-job training). With an MA degree (I'm not sure if yours also encompasses office training) you can work in a variety of medical settings. If you are certified, then you can make a little more.

This is a maine.gov employment portal link: Maine.gov: Employment: Job Opportunities They have links to most of the job websites here.

This is a link to St. Joseph Hospital in Bangor (small Catholic hospital - 110 bed acute care hospital)

https://www.stjoeshealing.org/career...s/clinical.asp

This is a link to Eastern Maine Medical Center (411 bed comprehensive medical center with several ancillary hospitals under it's umbrella).

Careers at EMMC

In this economy, hospitals are suffering right along with everyone else. They do like to have contingent employees, so that may be one way to get your foot in the door to a full time position. I speak from experience when I say, the more flexible you are the more they'll be after you constantly to work.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Ihave my Certified Nurses Aide (CNA) and my Certified Home Heath Aide (CHHA) when I finish school I will be a Regestered Medical Assistant not a Certified one but Maine does not have a state requirement so u can have either its just up to the dr and they look at work experiance

As for when we will visit it won't be till June 2011 we have a plan were following I graduate in may gonna get a yrs worth of work experiance then were gonna move I'd love to come right now but its probably best to wait an follow the plan don't want to get messed up or do with out

Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Ihave my Certified Nurses Aide (CNA) and my Certified Home Heath Aide (CHHA) when I finish school I will be a Regestered Medical Assistant not a Certified one but Maine does not have a state requirement so u can have either its just up to the dr and they look at work experiance

As for when we will visit it won't be till June 2011 we have a plan were following I graduate in may gonna get a yrs worth of work experiance then were gonna move I'd love to come right now but its probably best to wait an follow the plan don't want to get messed up or do with out

Old 09-13-2009, 05:29 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Good plan. In 2011 our country will be very different than it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area