Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2006, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 26,682 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Maine within the next 2 months and I can't decide if we should live in Bangor or Hampden. Schools are very important to us (we have 3 kids), but I've heard good things about both school systems. We would love to have a few acres of land (possible in Hampden, but not Bangor), but have fallen in love with some of the old house architecture in Bangor. Can anyone help me out with some of the pros and cons of both places? I would sooooo appreciate the help -- thanks!

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2006, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 30,906 times
Hi Karen I'm not from either but actually 60 miles south. I can tell though that living in Bangor only puts you closer to the urban scene where Hampden is more rural other than that they are much the same. The Bangor area is filled with hard working good folks I'm sure you'll be happy either way Once you pass Augusta going north the major communities are Waterville, Pittsfield, Newport, Bangor beyond that are small communities untill you get to Houlton and Fort Kent. But really anything north of Augusta is really all the same ordinary folks living ordinary lives. hope this helps abit. Again as far as the schools north of Augusta all are about the same. Very family oriented and sport minded folks really get out for the kids.

Dave

Old 07-27-2006, 10:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,978 times
Nobody goes to Hamden shopping All of the convienieces IE mall etc are in Bangor I would prefer a quiet side street in Bangor RT1A is the major road in Hamden and is very busy and dangerous for pedestrians Alot of heavy truck traffic the property taxes are high in both places Bangor is 23.35 and hamden is 20.00 per thousand I know you are intriged by the old Victorians in Bangor but most of them are poorly insulated and are very expensive to heat I hope this helps a little

Old 07-30-2006, 01:48 PM

7 posts, read 26,682 times
Default Anybody else have any opinions?

Thanks to both responders to my request for opinions. They both were very helpful! Does anyone else have any good/bad things to say about either Hampden or Bangor? Please??!!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,913 times
Default I would choose Brewer

Hampden: school system is okay but top heavy with very smart kids which means fewer scholarships doled out; overpriced housing; yuppie soccer mom town; not many grocery stores/other stores nearby.

Bangor: national blue ribbon high school; schools generally excellent; you can find houses with large lots...you just need to look around; great services/shopping; many playgrounds/parks.

That said, I'd choose Brewer for excellent schools, excellent housing, great services, etc. It's definitely the up and coming area.

Good luck. You'll have to let us know what you decide!

Old 08-02-2006, 01:53 PM

53 posts, read 261,600 times
Default Bangor vs. Hampden

I prefer Bangor because I really love the architecture and proximity to schools, recreation & shopping.

True many of the older homes aren't well insulated.. but some are. Many of the older homes need lots of work... but some don't. I enjoy working on my old Victorian Italianate (1865) and wouldn't dream of trading it for new construction.. I couldn't live with out all the beautiful details and crafstmanship... but it's not for everyone.

The amount of money you save by buying an older home in Bangor as opposed to some of the properties in Hampden will more than pay for a few renovations (and insulation).

You will be thrilled that your kids can walk most everywhere they want.

Both are great places though, as are Brewer, Veazie, Orono, Winterport.. etc...

Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 7,005 times
Both Hampden and Bangor have very good school systems. Hampden and Bangor have the top 2 high schools in the area. Hampden is getting a new high school in the next few years and I would say the middle school in Hampden is better. Both schools have very good sports teams.

Personally I would choose Hampden because its a smaller, more community type town, while Bangor is more of a city. Since Hampden is only 5 minutes from Bangor, shopping, restaraunts, and stores aren't a problem to get to. Hampden is also a very wealthy town, so depending on the size and how old the house is, price may be a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area