Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times

Advertisements

Bangor / Orono do share a wonderful forest bog board walk public park.

Nothing at all like San Antonio's Riverwalk, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie99 View Post
Hey, does Bangor have a "riverwalk" area (like San Antonio, or other cities)?

thanks!
Bangor doesn't but Bucksport does (although I'm sure on a much smaller scale than San Antonio). Bucksport is a scant 30 minutes from Bangor - over the bridge through Brewer and Orrington.

They've done a great job with it. The Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Fort Knox are also located therein.

Town of Bucksport Photo Gallery (http://bucksport.biz/gallery.php?gallery_id=34 - broken link)

Fort Knox & the Penobscot Narrows Observatory : Prospect, Maine - Travel and tour Maine Military History

Last edited by cebdark; 06-11-2010 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: added

Old 06-13-2010, 11:46 PM

14 posts, read 38,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Bangor / Orono do share a wonderful forest bog board walk public park.

Nothing at all like San Antonio's Riverwalk, but it is what it is.
I spent some time digging through the Maine Pictures thread, and found some of the Bangor river area. It looks plenty nice to me.

Z.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 PM

14 posts, read 38,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Bangor doesn't but Bucksport does (although I'm sure on a much smaller scale than San Antonio). Bucksport is a scant 30 minutes from Bangor - over the bridge through Brewer and Orrington.

They've done a great job with it. The Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Fort Knox are also located therein.

Town of Bucksport Photo Gallery (http://bucksport.biz/gallery.php?gallery_id=34 - broken link)

Fort Knox & the Penobscot Narrows Observatory : Prospect, Maine - Travel and tour Maine Military History
Looks absolutely peaceful and beautiful! San Antonio is a bit crowded anyhow. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
I spent some time digging through the Maine Pictures thread, and found some of the Bangor river area. It looks plenty nice to me.

Z.
I agree Maine does offer some really nice areas.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:00 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:

Z.
It is. There are plans in the works to develop the waterfront more in Bangor (there has been for a while now) but first they have to quibble about it. You know - politics and all.

I think it will happen eventually - perhaps when the economy gets better.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:04 PM

63 posts, read 137,095 times
hi all,
I have noticed that most of you in this thread are either active or retired military. Myself, husband and children( ages 4, 6, 11, 13) will be relocating to Bangor in August. My husband will be taking over the command chief job at the Navy Reserve Center(NOS). Is there an exchange as well as the commissary? Which areas of Bangor are most family friendly? How is traffic? I currently live in Fort Worth, TX and have lived all over the country, however, I am so through with dealing with traffic. In general I am just trying to get a feel for the area. I am from Northern Vermont so weather is not an issue. . We will be moving sight unseen. Is there a reasonable rental market?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
Mafriz - I live on what they consider the "Westside" of Bangor and have been here for many years. It sure seems very family friendly to me. We have a lovely small park in the neighborhood, that includes a playground, trees, picnic tables and an area they flood for skating in the winter. Also we are within a 10 minute walk of the Municipal Golf Course. Downtown there is a great Children's Museum called The Discovery Museum that kids 12 and under just love. There is also - downtown - the University of Maine Art Museum. Which right now is avaiable to visit "free". If you have questions about housing just google ERA Dawson to get an idea of what is available. Would love to have you here in my neighborhood, that most people refer to as The Fairmount area. Schools close by too. We have a newly improved waterfront right on the Penobscot River. In fact in late August during the American Folk Festival there are usually one or 2 American Cruise line ships docked here. Those are not the mega ships but ones that carry about 100 guests.

The population here is a bit over 30,000 so I don't think you will have a problem with traffic especially after living in a huge metro area.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 01-13-2011 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafriz View Post
hi all,
I have noticed that most of you in this thread are either active or retired military. Myself, husband and children( ages 4, 6, 11, 13) will be relocating to Bangor in August. My husband will be taking over the command chief job at the Navy Reserve Center(NOS). Is there an exchange as well as the commissary?
Yes there is an AFEES.

There is also a DECA [My Dw works there]

Quote:
... Which areas of Bangor are most family friendly? How is traffic? I currently live in Fort Worth, TX and have lived all over the country, however, I am so through with dealing with traffic. In general I am just trying to get a feel for the area. I am from Northern Vermont so weather is not an issue. . We will be moving sight unseen. Is there a reasonable rental market?
Most everywhere in the Bangor region is pretty much 'family friendly'.

The NOSC is out on Hammond St on the East side of Bangor out past the airport. There may be sections of Bangor that see 'traffic' [nothing compared to Dallas/FW]. The NOSC is closer to Hermon than it is to downtown Bangor. Hermon is a much smaller community with much less traffic.

Since your Dh is taking this CMC job at a Reserve Center will this be his twilight tour? Do you think that you may stay in Maine?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM

396 posts, read 604,451 times
Default moving to bangor

I'm not from the Bangor area, heck I'm not even from Maine (I'm from Amsterdam, NY), but I have now lived here most of my life.

I live in LA, but have been to the Bangor area a lot, as my former business used to sell apparel at ALL of Maine's High School Sporting events, and so I was in Bangor each year for 2 weeks of Basketball tournaments, 1 week of swimming, a few days of Hockey, softball, baseball and soccer tournaments, and can say - I think Bangor is a great area.

The people, food and area is great.

I have family that live in Brewer, and they wouldn't move from the area.

Heck, it's only a 1, 2 hour drive to the big city of Portland, maybe a 3 hour drive to Conway, NH area, which has a TON of shopping, sites, Mt. Washington and so much more.

You'll be hell, 30 minutes from Mt. Katadin?

In any case, welcome and enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area