Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:15 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Maybe other teams would develop a huge fan base all over the country if other teams got some air time. Of course, younger kids who have Yankees and Red Sox shoved down their throats in the media are more likely to become Yankees and Red Sox fans.

This is why I like MLB Network over ESPN, they actually give the other teams the time of day. I find it alot more interesting to see what's going on with teams that I don't normally hear much about....like San Diedo, Colorado, Texas, Cleveland, etc, rather than hearing about every time Derek Jeter takes a dump. But I guess that's because I'm a baseball fan....ESPN caters more to the casual bandwagon fan than the real baseball fans.....to ESPN, the world revolves around the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Cowboys, LeBron James and Brett Favre soap operas, etc.

The Phillies are outdrawing the Red Sox in terms of media by nearly 40%, number 3 right now but hardly get any national games.

The only teams with more eyeballs on them then the Phils are the two NY teams (Yanks 1, and Mutts 2). # 4 is the Red Sox and #5 is the Cubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Saying that ESPN is on the Yankee payroll is akin to saying that CNN and Fox were on Monica Lewinsky's payroll. I mean, why did she get so much coverage while the news agencies were neglecting other interns?

We are a nation of voyeurs and the entertainment media adapts itself to provide the most coverage to those people and things we seem to find most lurid. RyDizzle had the straight of the matter, we get a lot of Yankee coverage because more people watch when the Yankees are the topic.

I think of this particular complaint as mirroring those arguments one hears concerning how television is wrecking baseball with its scheduling choices, delaying start times, or causing games to start at 5pm local time when the low sun makes seeing the ball difficult for batters and fielders. The gripe is..."Baseball dances to tv's tune." And of course what is really going on is that the scheduling choices are all based on maximizing the viewing audience. The games wind up starting when they do because those are the times when the most people in the national audience will be able to watch. Would you rather that the game be played at a more "pure" time, albeit one when you are not free to watch it, or at a less than ideal time, but one when you can watch? I know I'd rather see the game at 5pm then miss it at 1 pm.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:28 AM

219 posts, read 261,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Maybe other teams would develop a huge fan base all over the country if other teams got some air time. Of course, younger kids who have Yankees and Red Sox shoved down their throats in the media are more likely to become Yankees and Red Sox fans.

This is why I like MLB Network over ESPN, they actually give the other teams the time of day. I find it alot more interesting to see what's going on with teams that I don't normally hear much about....like San Diego, Colorado, Texas, Cleveland, etc, rather than hearing about every time Derek Jeter takes a dump. But I guess that's because I'm a baseball fan....ESPN caters more to the casual bandwagon fan than the real baseball fans.....to ESPN, the world revolves around the Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Cowboys, LeBron James and Brett Favre soap operas, etc.
Boo-hoo and other teams developing fan bases. Win games. Be interesting. Losers don't gain fans. I'm not gonna watch the Royals or the Astros or the Orioles on a day-to-day basis. It's boring and bad baseball.

MLB Network and ESPN are two totally different things. Of course if you're a baseball fan, you'll appreciate the MLB Network and the less popular teams because it isn't about popularity for you. You enjoy the game.

Why can't people understand ESPN isn't about the hardcore fan, it's about the casual fan? It's about the fan that can't sit and watch a 4 hour baseball game. It's about the fan that isn't interested in the sport, but will watch if there are recognizable names and faces on. The world to ESPN DOES revolve around Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Cowboys, LeBron James and Brett Favre soap operas, etc. because it makes big money. That's what ESPN is in it for. They make no secret of it. It's a tv show. They own that. If they were a fraud and tried to sell you something else, you'd bang 'em for that too. Such hypocrites. You guys can't have it both ways. But I guess it's easy to take shots at the biggest fish in the pond...

Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
If you don't like ESPN then don't watch it. Sheesh....this thread is starting to look like a discussion between the old women on the view.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what channel the game is on because I only put baseball on if I intend to take a nap. (Not joking)

Also, if you hate the Yankees and the state of baseball then DON'T support them by helping their ratings.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,432,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
You have alot of nerve to talk about Alex. Don't forget we know all about Barry Bonds and his not so secret roid issue too. At least A-Rod didn't go from a stick figure to a muscle guy overnight like Bonds. How do you explain 30-40lbs of muscle over one offseason? That's being a hypocrite, now isn't it Upton? Or does it not count because it's one of your Frisco guys? By the way, it's not east coast bias, it's just that the east coast has monopolized the World Series victories for a little while now? I guess the west is just showeing their lack of talent or just getting it done. Even the midwest is showing them up!!!
Earth to Lance: Bonds hasn't been a member of the Giants since 2007. Meanwhile the dirty A-Roid is still playing for your bought Yankees. While Michael Kay and the rest cheer him on like he's been clean..

And even if you accept A-Fraud's "explanation" that he only used during his time with the Rangers, that accounts for 156 HRs. Meaning, when Rodriquez hit his 600th, only 444 HR at the max were actually clean. He deserves a nice fat asterisk next to any records he may set.

You don't care if the Yankees are dirty, you don't care if their titles are bought. At least, when the Giants win something, I'll know it was EARNED...something you'll never be able to say about the Bankees.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
At least, when the Giants win something, I'll know it was EARNED...
Unless you're talking about football, the only way you'll know about it will be if your great-great-grandson tells you about it AND you still have some of your hearing. We can worry about 2090 when we get there.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:38 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Unless you're talking about football, the only way you'll know about it will be if your great-great-grandson tells you about it AND you still have some of your hearing. We can worry about 2090 when we get there.
Give me 5-1 Jamie Moyer will be the starting pitcher on the 2090 Giants squad.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Give me 5-1 Jamie Moyer will be the starting pitcher on the 2090 Giants squad.
I don't doubt it, but the Charlotte Rays will give him a real run for his money in that series. Could go either way.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you don't like ESPN then don't watch it.
When the Red Sox are playing the Yankees, and I'm forced to tune into Fox or ESPN, then what choice do I have? The least I should expect is that the announcers will call the game in neutral and even handed manner. What I don't want/need/expect/appreciate is Jon Miller, Orel, Joe Morgan, or Aaron Boone waxing on about everything wonderful about Jeter, A-hole, or the other pinstriped foo-bars.

Hell..Miller played for the Red Sox once upon a time.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
When the Red Sox are playing the Yankees, and I'm forced to tune into Fox or ESPN, then what choice do I have?
Come on now, you always have the option not to watch. I won't watch two teams I don't care for. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball