Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times

Advertisements

I know he's a great pitcher and all but for the love of Christ that was ridiculous. Sounded like they were ready to circlejerk just thinking about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,150 times
In Maui on my honeymoon but just saw all the highlights if today's action and had to check in. Really I just wanted to lol at the twins (sorry) but I didn't see a playoff thread??? This one at least mentions that game. Sorry to get off topic in your thread twist. And yes Maui is fabbbbbbbbbulous. Did the road to Hana today the new wife is fast asleep haha.

To the op tho I am not shocked they always have crazy Yankee love. It's super annoying.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 AM

196 posts, read 589,937 times
gee...i guess you're right....i mean, just b/c he's been the best closer, and with the most success in the post season as well...doesn't REALLY mean anything.

PUHLEASE..........no matter what MR goes on to do/not do...he is the most amazing closer any of us have ever seen!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:05 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricemendo View Post
gee...i guess you're right....i mean, just b/c he's been the best closer, and with the most success in the post season as well...doesn't REALLY mean anything.

PUHLEASE..........no matter what MR goes on to do/not do...he is the most amazing closer any of us have ever seen!
Agreed...hands down best closer ever (in the closer period). You have people like Gagne, Papelbon, etc. be good for a couple yrs. Well Mo has been getting it done for over a decade straight. I don't think I'll see another closer be just as dominant for as long as he's been doing it in my lifetime anyways.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Agreed...hands down best closer ever (in the closer period). You have people like Gagne, Papelbon, etc. be good for a couple yrs. Well Mo has been getting it done for over a decade straight. I don't think I'll see another closer be just as dominant for as long as he's been doing it in my lifetime anyways.
This is what scares me. As a setup guy for Wetteland he was lights out and then he became the best closer ever. When he decides to pack it in, who the hell is going to replace him?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I know he's a great pitcher and all but for the love of Christ that was ridiculous. Sounded like they were ready to circlejerk just thinking about him.
Well, its the Yankees....I think they're commanded to bow down and kiss their arses.

No worries, I don't see the Yanks going too far in the playoffs....it all comes down to pitching, and their rotation is a mess. Even their ace Sabathia had a crappy game yesterday.

It will really sting Yankees fans if Pavano shuts them down!

I will give TBS credit, though, they were pretty complimentary the whole game about the Phillies and Phillies fans. With FOX and ESPNY, its usually a Philly bash fest, with endless stories about booing Santa Claus.... Any national game without Buck and McCarver is OK in my book.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricemendo View Post

Quote:

You seem to have completely missed my point. This isn't an indictment of Rivera but rather the announcers who feel it acceptable to ignore a bases loaded, 2 out 8th inning situation in a 2 run game to verbally pull down Rivera's pants and verbally lick his buttcrack.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
You seem to have completely missed my point. This isn't an indictment of Rivera but rather the announcers who feel it acceptable to ignore a bases loaded, 2 out 8th inning situation in a 2 run game to verbally pull down Rivera's pants and verbally lick his buttcrack.
No offense but television has been doing it for years for Clemens, Bonds, Nolan Ryan, etc... If anyone needed to change it would be the bad call on the line out to Golson but yes certain sportscasters do have their favorite guy/s.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
I don't see how it is all that possible to talk about Rivera entering a game, especially a post season game, without some gushing over the reputation he has established for performing well in such situations.

What do you expect the announcers to say? "Okay, looks like the Yanks have decided to go with...ugh....okay, they are bringing in Marinano Rivera who will try and get New York out of this bases loaded jam here in the 8th. Rivera has had some success in these situations in the past and the Yanks are hoping he can do it again."

It is difficult to argue that there has ever been a greater relief pitcher than Rivera, don't you think the announcers talked a lot about Ruth and Williams and Mantle and Koufax etc, when those guys were at the plate or on the mound?

I'm not a Yankees fan, but I agree that Rivera is gush worthy. I wish that he had performed his miracles for the teams which I follow, don't you wish he had labored for your team? And if he had, would you still be objecting to the praise he receives from the announcers?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I don't see how it is all that possible to talk about Rivera entering a game, especially a post season game, without some gushing over the reputation he has established for performing well in such situations.

What do you expect the announcers to say? "Okay, looks like the Yanks have decided to go with...ugh....okay, they are bringing in Marinano Rivera who will try and get New York out of this bases loaded jam here in the 8th. Rivera has had some success in these situations in the past and the Yanks are hoping he can do it again."

It is difficult to argue that there has ever been a greater relief pitcher than Rivera, don't you think the announcers talked a lot about Ruth and Williams and Mantle and Koufax etc, when those guys were at the plate or on the mound?

I'm not a Yankees fan, but I agree that Rivera is gush worthy. I wish that he had performed his miracles for the teams which I follow, don't you wish he had labored for your team? And if he had, would you still be objecting to the praise he receives from the announcers?
The thing is, this isn't a question of how good of a pitcher Rivera is. And saying he's great is fine. And for whatever reason people are trying to argue that it is. But instead this is a question of the professionalism of whoever it was announcing (I think it was Ron Darling and one of the Careys). Giving him modest praise is fine. Ogling him like a school girl for an entire inning. isn't.

And as for announcers praising guys on my team, I've gotten rather tired of hearing about Halladay-Oswalt-Hamels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball