Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 11:26 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QAqiqTQWJg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq6wY...layer_embedded

Old 01-09-2011, 07:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yitG53EX_6U

Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
I couldn't find this one on youtube, but this is how I remember it.

NARRATOR: This is Whitey Ford, pitcher for the New York Yankees. Whitey, what makes a great pitcher?

WHITEY: It's control. Being able to put the ball exactly where you want it.

NARRATOR: And Whitey, what makes a great shave?

WHITEY: Well, I think it's the lathuh (sic). That's why I use Rise instant lathuh. Rise lets me shave fast, shave close withot irritation.

NARRATOR: Rise instant lather. For a really great shave.

(Sorry, but I couldn't help picking on my Northeastern friends who couldn't make an 'r' sound if their lives depended on it.)

Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
By the mid sixties, the Beatles had fixed it so that the old style greasy hair goos were out and the dry look was in. Capitalizing on this trend was Vitalis, a hair holding liquid which seemed composed of nine parts alcohol and one part reisin. It left your hair feeling brittle, but it wasn't greasy. They saturated the airwaves with their ads centered on the slogan "Are You Still Using That Greasy Kid Stuff?" (The popularity of the ad series led to a song by that title making it to the top 40 pop charts.)

The best of the series featured a Giants-Dodgers game with Don Drysdale, often charged with throwing doctored baseballs, on the mound. He takes off his hat and wipes his hand through his hair, and this causes Giants manager Herman Franks to come storming out of the dugout screaming "Greaseball! Greaseball! That's illegal!"

The umps go out to the mound to inspect Drysdale, and Franks is foiled when they determine that Drysdale is using Vitalis and could not possibly be greasing the ball with hair goo. The ad ends with a muttering Franks returning to the dugout as the narrator intones "Sorry, Herman."

Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
I always liked the Griffey Jr.'s commercials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAvszXODmPQ

..and this one, just because one of my fav bands is there, Rush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMKj...eature=related

Old 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
By the mid sixties, the Beatles had fixed it so that the old style greasy hair goos were out and the dry look was in. Capitalizing on this trend was Vitalis, a hair holding liquid which seemed composed of nine parts alcohol and one part reisin. It left your hair feeling brittle, but it wasn't greasy. They saturated the airwaves with their ads centered on the slogan "Are You Still Using That Greasy Kid Stuff?" (The popularity of the ad series led to a song by that title making it to the top 40 pop charts.)

The best of the series featured a Giants-Dodgers game with Don Drysdale, often charged with throwing doctored baseballs, on the mound. He takes off his hat and wipes his hand through his hair, and this causes Giants manager Herman Franks to come storming out of the dugout screaming "Greaseball! Greaseball! That's illegal!"

The umps go out to the mound to inspect Drysdale, and Franks is foiled when they determine that Drysdale is using Vitalis and could not possibly be greasing the ball with hair goo. The ad ends with a muttering Franks returning to the dugout as the narrator intones "Sorry, Herman."

I remember that commercial with Drysdale. Wanted to rep you but had to spread some.

Speaking of hair product commercials, there used to be commercials for a hair spray called The Dry Look. The commercials used to show before-and-after pictures, with the before pictures showing guys gelled up with some of that "greasy kid stuff" and the after pictures showing the same guys after they had sprayed their hair with The Dry Look. There was a narrator saying something like, "John Doe, wethead. John Doe, The Dry Look. Joe Blow, wethead. Joe Blow, The Dry Look. Jim Citizen, wethead . . ." etc. I used to enjoy a commercial that played briefly after the rock-'n'-roll Oakland A's of the early '70's won the World Series for the first time in '72. It moved between shots of various A's players pouring champagne over their heads as they celebrated their championship. "Catfish Hunter, wethead. Rollie Fingers, wethead. Dave Duncan, Joe Rudi, and Sal Bandoe, wetheads all!" Then the after pictures: "Dave Duncan, Joe Rudi, and Sal Bando, The Dry Look. Rollie Fingers, The Dry Look . . . ."

Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Bunch of rookies. I like the one that Filihok have up, it's different. This is my favorite commercial:

Chicks dig the longball

And for my biggest fan on here (you know who you are), one of your (declining) stars had a decent commercial:

JRoll Commercial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball