Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,149 times

Advertisements

Hi, I haven't followed baseball for some time. I loved it when I was a kid but lost intrest in my teens.

I'm down to two teams I should root for, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the New York Mets. I like the National League.

Who are the major stars in the game and what should I look forward too next season? Thank You so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,926 times
Welcome back to baseball---it always has been, and always will be a great sport.

What turns you off about the American League----the DH?

Maybe you can get into following the great up and coming stars including one in your backyard in Toronto----Brett Lawrie. Other great young players include Matt Kemp, Andre MuCutcheon, David Freese, Joey Votto, Heyward in Atlanta, and next year the return of Buster Posey.

I know that everyone in on the nfl train as the new national pasttime----I love the nfl myself----but baseball is truly a great sport to unwind and relax with-----enjoy your return.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Welcome back to baseball---it always has been, and always will be a great sport.

What turns you off about the American League----the DH?

Maybe you can get into following the great up and coming stars including one in your backyard in Toronto----Brett Lawrie. Other great young players include Matt Kemp, Andre MuCutcheon, David Freese, Joey Votto, Heyward in Atlanta, and next year the return of Buster Posey.

I know that everyone in on the nfl train as the new national pasttime----I love the nfl myself----but baseball is truly a great sport to unwind and relax with-----enjoy your return.
Mostly the DH. I think it let's lazy player collect a check past their prime. I check these guys out tomorrow.

I'm an NFL fan too but I wanted to broaden my sports knowledge to include all the big 4.

Thanks for the welcome .

Old 12-30-2011, 11:17 PM

325 posts, read 787,532 times
Personally, I would root for the home-town team, but I understand the hesitation regarding the DH. I really hate that the Mariners have the DH.

As far as the Mets or Dodgers go, I would say that, unless you're a night owl, go with the Mets since they are in your time zone. Otherwise, you will have a high number of your team's games start at 10 p.m. and go until around 1 a.m.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
It's more fun to just hate the Yankees, and root for whatever team is playing against them.

Watch a bunch of games on TV next spring, and root for the players you like, rather than the teams. You'll find yourself following a few teams and rooting for them consistently, which might change from year to year. But as long as you care who wins in most of the games, you will still enjoy being a fan. (That's the way I've been doing it with the NFL.)

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks Guys!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's more fun to just hate the Yankees, and root for whatever team is playing against them.
Truer words have not been written.

As for the players and what's up today in MLB...do you get the MLB Network on your TV system? If so, watch Hot Stove and some of the other talk shows. If you have XM Radio, there is an MLB talk show station. Read the Sporting News or SI, and look at ESPN's MLB page.

The Dodgers and Mets are really some of the worst teams in the NL today, both with serious ownership issues. As you probably know, the Cardinals and Brewers have been doing well from the Central Div, and the NL East is heating up with the Phillies, Marlins, Braves, and even the Nationals in contention.

My personal preference is the AL. You have 3 competitive divisions, with Texas and the LA Angels taking the spotlight this off season. The East still gives you the 3 way rivalry with the Yanks, Sox, and Rays. Even the Blue Jays may get in on the action this year. The AL Central is the home of the Tigers and White Sox and both promise to be in contention.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Honestly I think you should be a Washington fan (if not a supporter of Toronto) because of where they came from prior to this. In football you might eventually get the Bills. You have a basketball and hockey team (Raptors,Maple Leafs), so you do have a bunch of hometown teams. As for hating the Yankees, what sense does that make? Hating a team because they're successful makes no sense. If they were owned by racist pigs I might agree but that is not the case. If you go for the Mets, prepare for a long stretch of falling short and horrible decisions by bad owners. Just for your information, if you do become a Dodger fan, you will be supporting a team whose manager is one of the biggest and most loved Yankees of all time; Don Mattingly!!!

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But as long as you care who wins in most of the games, you will still enjoy being a fan.
My experience is the opposite. I was a huge Cub fan back when they were never worth a crap. Now that they contend on a fairly regular basis I really don't care.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
As a Dodgers fan I have to agree that it's probably not a good idea to pick the Dodgers because of when there games start and end. You'll mostly be watching high lights of the games and reading box scores. I'd pick the Nationals. They have a lot of young great talent that should be around for while and are still lacking fans in one aspect because of them being a new team. Plus when you look back and people ask how you became a Nationals fan you can simply say that you picked them to follow because they were rather new and you weren't jumping on a band wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball