Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,497,653 times

Advertisements

I don't know whether Matt Williams ran over one of the dogs of the people in charge of MLB replay reviews, or New York just has a general dislike for the Nationals, but I can't think of any team in baseball that's gotten more screwed on replay reviews then the Nats have this year.

In the first replay review of the night in Philly the Nats Anthony Rendon clearly beats out an infield single. Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg comes out to challenge the ruling. Despite Rendon being clearly safe, somehow he was called out so the Phillies keep their challenge.
Fast forward to the bottom of the 8th. Game is tied at 3 and Ben Revere leads off for the Phillies. He hits a grounder to Ian Desmond at short. Desmond's throw is high and Kevin Frandsen, filling in for Adam LaRoche at first base, has to stretch for it. He may or may not have taken his toe(s) of the bag, but the first base ump ruled him out on the field. Here comes Sandberg with another challenge (one he shouldn't even have mind you!). After about 3 minutes or so and from what I've seen on TV no definitive evidence frandsen was clearly off the bag: remember since the call on the field was out you need indisputable video evidence to overturn the call. However, the umps overturn the call AGAIN so Revere is on first with an error aided by MLB. After stealing second in the next at bat, he advances the final 2 bases on consecutive flyouts to the OF to give the Phillies a 4-3 lead. The final score was 4-3 after Papelbon pitched a 1-2-3 9th inning. Now the Nats could have very easily lost anyways, but my 2 problems with how the game ended up:

1) The Rendon call first was an absolute joke! There was no doubt to anyone at the game, watching the game, or listening to the game that he was safe. I can't think of any logical reason as to why New York overturned that call other then that they have a score to settle with Matt Williams/Mike Rizzo/or someone else in the organization. This was my biggest problem with the game. Since blue completely blew this call, it gave Sandberg his challenge back, a challenge he should not have even had.
2) The Revere call was questionable as there were no really good looks so you couldn't tell for sure. I'd have absolutely no complaint if they called Revere safe on the field because there was no definite evidence he was out. So if he's called safe on the field, and the call is upheld, and the same scenario as above unfolds: stinks that Nats lost, but at least I could live with that. However, that's not as it went down. He's called out on the field, and ruled safe even with no definite evidence that could uphold that call. Plus Sandberg shouldn't have been able to challenge it anyways.....because he should've run out of challenges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aside from the Reds pickoff play in Atlanta where the Reds pitcher picked Upton off first base by 20 feet, but somehow the replay review ruled him safe by far the 2 worst replay calls have come in games the Nats have been apart of: this game and the opening game in Washington where the ball got "stuck." I could DEFINITELY go without replay next year...and the next year............and the year after.....and the year, you get my drift....ABOLISH REPLAY!! It's not working!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 AM

9,776 posts, read 7,497,653 times
Actually watching the Rendon play again it was closer then I though but the result is the same! Both that play and Revere's play are the same because the same thing happened in both cases. Either both Frandsen and Ruf's foot comes off the bag so each runner (Rendon & Revere) is safe, or both fielder's kept their foot on the bag in which case both runners are out. You can't have 1 be out and the other be safe on the same play.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,000,510 times
I don't have an issue with either call. They were both very close calls. At the end of the day, I'm more disappointed that the Nationals had the bases loaded with 1 out and were not able to push more than 2 runs across. I thought they had a chance to bust the game open in the 7th. As long as the Braves keep losing I'm okay.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM

14,705 posts, read 14,680,193 times
Royals have great walk-off win against the Twins, everyone on the team is ecstatic....except manager Ned Yost, who is upset there weren't more fans in the stands to see it:
On a glorious night for the Royals, Ned Yost manages to dump on the fans | The Kansas City Star

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,164,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Royals have great walk-off win against the Twins, everyone on the team is ecstatic....except manager Ned Yost, who is upset there weren't more fans in the stands to see it:
On a glorious night for the Royals, Ned Yost manages to dump on the fans | The Kansas City Star
As Yogi was supposed to have observed...

"If people don't want to come out to the park, how ya gonna stop em?

Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,384,166 times
Concerning the play review system, I am perturbed in knowing that Joe Girardi (as of Monday) had been successful on 18 of 23 challenges. This means that a lot of bad calls have been made against the team and some of them most likely would have contributed to game losses without the review opportunity, given the inordinate number of 1- and 2-run games the team has played. I hope MLB intends to take corrective action on some of the ridiculously bad calls that have been made. And there is also a problem with ball and strike calls. On at least two occasions this year (I don't remember which teams were involved) I've seen a batter called out on a chin-high pitch as he stood with the bat on his shoulder. Is the umpires union so strong that MLB must tolerate this level of incompetence?

Old 08-27-2014, 04:27 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,469,391 times
Quote:
Honestly I didn't see his comments as any sort of insult to the Royals fans. I see the article more as a writer under deadline trying to come up with some sort of controversy to punch up his article. Ned's public persona has always been on the prickly side. Like last year when he replied to a reporter's question about why the team wasn't playing well. He asked the reporter "What do you want me to do? Take off my belt and spank them?"

Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 AM

14,705 posts, read 14,680,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
Honestly I didn't see his comments as any sort of insult to the Royals fans. I see the article more as a writer under deadline trying to come up with some sort of controversy to punch up his article. Ned's public persona has always been on the prickly side. Like last year when he replied to a reporter's question about why the team wasn't playing well. He asked the reporter "What do you want me to do? Take off my belt and spank them?"
But why did he choose to focus on Tuesday night attendence compared to what his team did on the field? It was literally the least interesting thing which happened that night. And when you have a long-suffering fanbase who hasn't seen the playoffs in 30 years, they deserve credit for even showing up in the first place.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:40 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,164,811 times
Default Offensive Triplets

The Giants offense this season has been carried by Buster Posey, Hunter Pence and Michael Morse.

They are apparently an egalitarian minded group with none wishing to be seen as contributing more than the others. As of this morning:

Posey .348/.465...OPS..813
Pence .340/.467...OPS..807
Morse .337/.479..OPS..816

Old 08-28-2014, 03:42 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,469,391 times
Quote:
But why did he choose to focus on Tuesday night attendence compared to what his team did on the field? It was literally the least interesting thing which happened that night. And when you have a long-suffering fanbase who hasn't seen the playoffs in 30 years, they deserve credit for even showing up in the first place.
Well what do you want me to do? Take off my belt and spank him?
But I do agree and wed. night's crowd of 17668 was very loud and into the game even though it was a snoozer until the Royals broke it open in the bottom of the 8th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball