Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,895 times

Advertisements

That was a great game. Started out rooting for the A's, but began rooting for KC after what happened to Ventura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 11:13 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
What an exciting game! Instead of the low scoring pitchers duel many of us expected, the game turned into something resembling a track meet. Incidentally, both starters will soon become free agents.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Salvador's eighth inning at bat had to be one of the worst of all time. The real winner was the baserunning

Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 AM

939 posts, read 795,730 times
I'm all for the Pirates and Royals. Nats or Orioles would be okay, but I'm tired of the others, and don't like teams that try to buy championships.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:57 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,095,424 times
One problem I had with KC was Dyson, who stole third in the 9th and then began dancing. I texted a friend when that happened and said, "Really? Act like you've been there before. Oh wait..." It's a shame the baseball gods didn't punish Dyson for that ridiculous display, but instead, he scores to tie the ballgame at 7.

I'll root for KC over the Angels, but I wasn't real impressed with how some of them behaved on the field last night. Billy Butler basically gave me the impression that he's the biggest crybaby. Is he usually the type that cries about balls and strikes so emphatically?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:40 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Great game, saw innings 9-12.

Top of the 12th when KC's Finnegan walked Oakland's Reddick to lead off the inning I turned to the wife and moaned once more about how leadoff walks in extra innings can kill you. Sure enough, the A's got Reddick to the plate to take the lead, but in the bottom of the 12th the Royals came from behind for a huge win. They kept showing George Brett in the press booth and I thought he'd pull out what hair he has left.

Sad when 162 games comes down to one game and ends the seasons for a team. I'm looking forward to tonight's Pirates-Giants game.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:00 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Salvador's eighth inning at bat had to be one of the worst of all time. The real winner was the baserunning
Yeah, that was a terrible at-bat. But a strikeout in that situation is better than a DP. If the Angels allow KC to have a lot of baserunners it will cost them dearly. Last night the Royals batted .341 and received 3 walks and this fueled their "small ball" attack.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:28 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,846 times
Oakland Athletics Can't Hold Lead, Eliminated from Playoffs After 9-8 Loss to Kansas City Royals | NBC Bay Area

Bye bye Oakland.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Now that is respect...how many times have you seen a manger bring in a new pitcher to face the opposing pitcher?

Guess the Pirates are aware of Bumgarner's three bombs this season, two of which were grand slams.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I probably watch 150 Pirates games a year. I have a good idea what kind of pitchers give the Pirates the most trouble.

So my assertion is not based solely on limited head-to-head stats, but by how Bumgarner typically gets his Ks and his tendencies. The Pirates teams of the past two years, and moreso this year, take a lot of pitches but are also very good high strike hitters. Bumgarner's game is living high in the strike zone, not getting chases outside. It's a bad match up of pitching style vs hitting philosophy. In particular, guys like Martin, Harrison, Marte, Mercer and Gaby Sanchez - all of whom are good high fastball hitters - would have success (and have in limited appearances). IMO, Bumgarner would have to change his game a bit and work more under the hands of the Pirates RHB as well as outside.

You can add to that that the Bucs wouldn't be intimidated as they beaten Bumgarner last two times they faced him. He also doesn't appear to pitch inside to RHB very much.

I'm suggesting Peavy as he throws just about every pitch known to man except a knuckler and has the benefit of the Bucs never having faced him before. He's also been the better pitcher in the past 4-6 weeks.
Peavy would have pitched a perfect game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball