Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
I don't like players who leave the team in search of big money deals. Team loyalty should actually mean something.
When owners start believing in supporting team loyalty, I'm sure the players will go along with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 01:41 PM

239 posts, read 350,425 times
I think we can all agree that the current situation sucks for the fans.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:43 PM

672 posts, read 789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
Even when Lester was traded, he maintained that he would take a hometown discount to return to Boston. Cherington screwed up certainly, but Lester showed that he didn't care about the team by just going off to Chicago when they offered him the biggest deal. It's the same thing that happened with Ellsbury last year and Damon back in 05. I don't like players who leave the team in search of big money deals. Team loyalty should actually mean something.
Loyalty is a two way street, when the BoSox offered basically half of what they knew he was worth on the open market, they were basically telling him that his "hometown discount" should be a significant deal for the team. Had they initially offered something more reasonable, like 5 @ 110 or 6 @ 125, that is what players mean when they say "hometown discount". They don't mean, "hey, I am willing to take half of what I can get elsewhere just to stay here". Think hard about this, Cherington is the one who screwed Boston fans. You can hate Lester all you want, but you need to wake up to the realities of how free agency works. If I had a talent that I could get 25M a year for, I wouldn't take 17.5M, even though 17.5M is a significant amount of money. There are times that players, like LeBron, decide to take much less than they could get elsewhere, but only if doing so is in their self interest, such as going to a team that they believe has a better chance of winning. Lester looked at what was happening in Chicago, and what was happening in Boston and a couple of other teams, and I think that he saw an opportunity in Chicago that he didn't see elsewhere, PLUS the money.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Lester looked at what was happening in Chicago, and what was happening in Boston and a couple of other teams, and I think that he saw an opportunity in Chicago that he didn't see elsewhere, PLUS the money.
Or maybe Chicago is where Lester's wife likes to shop.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:51 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Lester looked at what was happening in Chicago, and what was happening in Boston and a couple of other teams, and I think that he saw an opportunity in Chicago that he didn't see elsewhere, PLUS the money.
I think he figured that in Boston he would be completely overshadowed by Panda-Mania. Lester is the more valuable asset, but unlike Sandoval he has never developed a nickname to make him more colorful and popular with the fans. Now if he had been known as Lester the Molester or maybe Jon "Hannibal" Lester, he would be in a position to compete pr wise with Pablo and could be on the same club.

Of course if you think about pro baseball for what it actually is, one more entity competing for our entertainment dollars, Boston has the better deal with Sandoval. A typical Panda at bat is more entertaining than watching Lester get batters out. His "Never met a pitch I didn't like" approach to the strike zone makes Pablo's plate appearances game highlights.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:35 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
It's pretty funny to see fans of the Red Sox, an organization which routinely outspends most of the others to obtain free agents, whine about "loyalty" when things don't go their way.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Reds have traded away 40% of their rotation. I guess they still have big hopes for Cingrani, but unless Bruce/Votto/BP all have big comeback years, Reds are front runner in race for NLC cellar.

Milwaukee hasn't done a danged thing at winter meetings, so seems they won't be too far behind.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 AM

451 posts, read 562,980 times
In addition to Hanley Ramirez signing with the BoSox, the Dodgers just traded Gordon, Haran and apparently they are about to ink a deal trading Kemp to the Padres. They acquire Howie Kendrick (2B) from the Angels; Jimmy Rollins (SS) from the Phillies; and infielders Enrique Hernandez, Chris Hatcher, and minor leaguer Austin Barnes from Miami.

Dodger fans are in a state of mass debate. Many are t'd off about losing Kemp and Gordon. Some say that it makes sense as it improves our infield and gets rid of some massive contracts.

I could totally understand letting Ramirez go along with Haran. But Gordon has been improving steadily since the last two years. He was an all-star last year. His second half of the season wasn't great, but he was on fire the first half and last year was his first full year. I can see him breaking out next year.
As for Kemp, he battled injuries in 2012 and 2013 but last year he remained healthy all season. He broke out post all-star game as one of the hottest bats in the majors (which is a perfectly normal indicator of a player who comes back from an injury).

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
So, the Red Sox basically traded Lester for Porcello. That's not a good deal at all.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:20 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
That the Red Sox were so willing to send Cespedes to Detroit shores up my conclusions regarding why the A's were willing to let him go for a few months of Lester. Cespedes is operating at his absolute ceiling, he is never going to get better, he is never going to develop plate discipline, his raw talent is it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball