Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times

Advertisements

I don't know if y'all have a thread on this already, but this is specifically NL East. I think everyone is glad that this artificial "rivalry" between the Phillies and New York's JV team has died down. If this thing is real let us all hope that they do beat each other up on the field, I mean it would be funny to see Reyes hit and run. I really hope this happen let the Braves be an afterthought to the Phills and 'ropolitans. I think the Braves will win the division by four games and the Phillies will be in third place. It'll be a long season,but in the meantime Go Hawks (stop laughing please)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 02:43 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,964,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I don't know if y'all have a thread on this already, but this is specifically NL East. I think everyone is glad that this artificial "rivalry" between the Phillies and New York's JV team has died down. If this thing is real let us all hope that they do beat each other up on the field, I mean it would be funny to see Reyes hit and run. I really hope this happen let the Braves be an afterthought to the Phills and 'ropolitans. I think the Braves will win the division by four games and the Phillies will be in third place. It'll be a long season,but in the meantime Go Hawks (stop laughing please)!

as much as I like the braves, I don't think they will even come close to winning the division, The Mets have Santana,Martinez,Maine,Perez, and El Duque and Wright at 3rd and Beltran in CF, and Jose Reyes(who is VASTLY overrated, IMO)and Carlos Delgado, and the Phillies their offense is just WAY TOO GOOD for the Braves to compete with, and combined with a solid pitching rotation, voila you got a division winner.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,990 times
Mets fan here.

I think that the Braves are really being overlooked.
The Phillies are good, and the Mets might really be hurting offensively once the season starts, but think about this...what would the season have been if the Braves had a .270 hitting CFer instead of a .217 hitting CFer. Andruw Jones came up in some pretty big situations last season and choked. Replace his impotent bat with a steady stick, and if the Braves can catch lightning with one pitcher and I see them in the hunt.

As for the Mets...
I think that the Santana stuff has blurred our vision.
The catchers position is losing about 40 points in BA.
Delgado is hurt...again.
Castillo has two bad knees.
Reyes is still a question mark because of his September.
There is no one to play LF.
Ryan Church is hurt, and he has never been an everyday player.
Beltran has been banged up and is coming off surgery.
David Wright is the only guy who is not a question mark on offense.

Although I think that the pitching staff will be the best in the league, I will not go out and say that the Mets are the favorites...well, at least until October 1st.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Mets fan here.

I think that the Braves are really being overlooked.
The Phillies are good, and the Mets might really be hurting offensively once the season starts, but think about this...what would the season have been if the Braves had a .270 hitting CFer instead of a .217 hitting CFer. Andruw Jones came up in some pretty big situations last season and choked. Replace his impotent bat with a steady stick, and if the Braves can catch lightning with one pitcher and I see them in the hunt.

As for the Mets...
I think that the Santana stuff has blurred our vision.
The catchers position is losing about 40 points in BA.
Delgado is hurt...again.
Castillo has two bad knees.
Reyes is still a question mark because of his September.
There is no one to play LF.
Ryan Church is hurt, and he has never been an everyday player.
Beltran has been banged up and is coming off surgery.
David Wright is the only guy who is not a question mark on offense.

Although I think that the pitching staff will be the best in the league, I will not go out and say that the Mets are the favorites...well, at least until October 1st.
i also agree that Jose reyes is a BIG question mark, another hyped up player who might not live to his potential, sigh.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:25 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
i also agree that Jose reyes is a BIG question mark, another hyped up player who might not live to his potential, sigh.

I think that the hype was legit. But I believe that others (Rickey Henderson and possibly Castillo) might have polluted his mind. He needs that boyish charm and dirty uniform back. I never thought that I would have ever heard Reyes being booed at Shea.

I see that you are from Georgia.
What is the local media saying about the Braves and their pitching staff?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM

Hey, don't mind that JV stuff, I'm just giving Mets fans a hard time. I think it will be really tough to beat the Phillis and Mets but the Braves have been good ever since my kindergarten days so I still have a little of that fan arrogance left (it quickly goes away when I talk to my friend in CT, who's a Yankee fan). I honestly feel the Braves reclaiming that top spot after being in third for two straight years followed by getting bounced in the first round. It's all good though!

Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 PM

I heard on the Fan that Reyes was going through personal problems and that he'll be back in form. As a Braves fan losing Hampton really didn't matter, he's useless anyway as a pitcher. Fischfan13 the Mets will be tough this year no doubt but I feel that they will focus on the Phills and Yankees whenever they play those teams. The Bravos are trying to win now and they've always been mentally tough. I feel good about the season.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:46 PM

Are there any Philly fans on here?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I think that the hype was legit. But I believe that others (Rickey Henderson and possibly Castillo) might have polluted his mind. He needs that boyish charm and dirty uniform back. I never thought that I would have ever heard Reyes being booed at Shea.

I see that you are from Georgia.
What is the local media saying about the Braves and their pitching staff?
Actually, the local media dosen't mention that much, on AJC.com, but what they do mention is that the pitching staff is Tom Glavine is going to win 10-15 games(which i don't agree with) and that John Smoltz is going to have another fine year, and that overall it's a solid rotation, which i also don't agree with, but i will admit though, the Braves have a pretty solid offense, but not nearly enough to beat the Phils(which are my Favorite NL East team).

Old 03-11-2008, 03:54 PM

The Phillies? I just don't see them doing what they did last year. I get the sense that they are all talk and will get up only for the Mets (and get beat) but, I just don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball