Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 05:40 PM

34,148 posts, read 17,220,010 times

Advertisements

Boras rocks! So thorough to clearly state the change in Nats finances by winning a World Series! This guy should be on Wall Street with his financial acumen!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...anthony-rendon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 PM

9,797 posts, read 7,528,071 times
As I said in the team thread they won so they get a 5 year grace period. Whether they go 40-122 playing a bunch of AA and high A kids or 122-40, is irrelevant to me this year, 2020 gets a pass...

...with that said I'm calling BS on this. The Lerner family is like the 4th or 5th richest owners in baseball with all the real estate they did. They could EASILY pay both Rendon & Strasburg if they wanted too, much like they could've easily paid Harper last year if they wanted to. Unlike the Harper move where it was a smart move not to invest all that money because they had players in the organization that could step in right away for that spot, they really don't have that luxury with Rendon or Strasburg. I still believe Strasburg stays, and Rendon leaves.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 AM

I admire Boras for doing what agents should, and usually don't. His homework. For saying with precision what the Lerners gained financially from one world championship. This guys airs the "dirty laundry" of MLB. Agents should be hated by owners, and he is. Not in bed with owners. Not making it easy to keep payroll down (from a public relations campaign).

Old 12-07-2019, 11:18 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,017,988 times
Boras wouldn't sign both if he owned a team. Especially with both players reaching an age when their skills will start to plateau and decline. Boras can go pound sand. He's thinking of his own pockets just like Lerner.

Owners, however, need to drop the "can't afford angle". There isn't an owner that cannot afford these players. Signing these players may not make economic sense for them. Just state that as the case. To claim to be a pauper owner.

I can afford many things I avoid buying. This is a concept most can understand.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Boras wouldn't sign both if he owned a team. Especially with both players reaching an age when their skills will start to plateau and decline. Boras can go pound sand. He's thinking of his own pockets just like Lerner.

Owners, however, need to drop the "can't afford angle". There isn't an owner that cannot afford these players. Signing these players may not make economic sense for them. Just state that as the case. To claim to be a pauper owner.

I can afford many things I avoid buying. This is a concept most can understand.
Boras does his job well. It is supposed to be adversarial. If an owner does no hate any agent, that agent should be fired by the player.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:14 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,076,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Boras does his job well. It is supposed to be adversarial. If an owner does no hate any agent, that agent should be fired by the player.
If I was a GM, I’d hate to work with Boras. If I was a player, I’d want him as my agent.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:44 PM

52,740 posts, read 48,079,248 times
Looks like one-half of this thread is rectified as of now. Strasburg just inked a 7-year deal with the Nats.

https://www.mlb.com/news/stephen-str...with-nationals

I doubt that Rendon will be back.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
If I was a GM, I’d hate to work with Boras. If I was a player, I’d want him as my agent.

Which means he is doing his job.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Looks like one-half of this thread is rectified as of now. Strasburg just inked a 7-year deal with the Nats.

https://www.mlb.com/news/stephen-str...with-nationals

I doubt that Rendon will be back.
Excellent. Precisely what this Met fan hoped for. They have treated him extremely well from day one, with absolute class. They deserve the loyalty from him they have earned.

Strasburg & DeGrom, 2 one team Tier I starters.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,213,058 times
I don't see that any of us are in a position to say what any club owner or ownership group can or cannot afford.

There are no more just own the club style owners, all are owned by individuals or partnerships whose wealth came from some other source. They buy these clubs for various reasons, but most frequently those reasons include:
1. They expect a huge appreciation in value when it comes time to sell
2. Owning a high profile pro club is a great way to attract attention to your other businesses.

That they expect to reap an immense profit when they sell, does not mean that they don't care whether or not the club turns a profit each year it is owned. If you buy it for 650 million and sell it for a billion, but lost 10 million a year for each year you owned the club, your overall profit is less. These are all very rich people and they didn't get/stay rich by ignoring profits and running their businesses as public services.

So, when an owner decides that a certain player cannot be afforded, it is a decision within what they have decided their profit margin from the club should be, not a decision based on their ability to pay lots of money by reaching into their other businesses.

Obviously the clubs with higher attendance and the biggest TV contracts, will have larger budgets than the smaller market teams. When the A's say that they cannot afford to sign anyone to a 100 million dollar contract, it is because such a contract would leave an insufficient amount to pay the rest of the team. It doesn't have anything to do with how many shares of BigBoom stock the owner possesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball