Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,647,371 times

Advertisements

Reporter: I am talking with Mets manager Willie Randolph whose team just got swept by NL East division rival Atlanta Braves. Willie, can you explain to Mets fans what just happened down there?

Randolph:Well we did stumble a little and gave up four games but you have to understand that we could just as easily win four straight games to negate this series, you know, just have patience.

Reporter:The Mets showed a lot of heart against the Yankees a while back, but they were very flat against the Braves in Atlanta, why is that?

Randolph: Oh, you know, baseball's a crazy game. It's one of inches, (you) win some (and) lose some. Listen, I am a New Yorker and this series is huge, okay, now I would not disrepect the game by taking this series lightly, okay. I love the fans of New York.

Reporter:I see, but wouldn't you say that a series against any NL team, especially an NL East team, hold more weight than playing AL ball clubs?

Randolph: Like I said you win some and lose some. We may just win four straight to negate this series, this season is too long to panic now.

This wasn't a real interview (obviously),but I think it would go something like that if they lose today. I listened to the game last night and I got tired of listening in the eighth inning, so imagine being a Mets fan. I really believe that a team takes on the personality of their coaches and managers and with the Mets it's obvious that they have taken to Willie's stoic and flat personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 05:43 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
Buck Showalter! Should be the Next Met Manager.
Does not take any crap like poor base running. Pays attention to detail and is focused. Unlike this team which plays with their heads up their butts.
Makes great sense to me!

This team is too many chiefs and practically NO indians in attitude. I don't even watch the games anymore I don't wanna fall asleep that early - lets see not counting the Yankee series they went 1-6.
Hope that mangement/ownership has the sense to Fire his butt when they meet tomorrow or Tuesday.

Lets all put our names on a Manager suggestion petition to send to Omar for Buck Showalter to be the next Mets manager.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,970,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
These guys need sweet lou in that clubhouse to straighten this i'm an all star attitude.These guys really think there gonna go out there and win because of there names.Just ask the yankees how many championships they've won lately with the highest payroll.

They do need a good kick in the rear....maybe Larry Bowa would want the job? Some teams need a firey manager, and some respond better to a laid back manager. Bowa's act wore thin in Philly, and this Phillies team has responded big time to Charlie Manuel's laid-back style. But it seems like the Mets need a hothead to straighten things out in that clubhouse.

Although I'm a Phillies fan, so I hope this season keeps going the way it has for the Mets.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,990 times
My question is to the people who believe that Willie should not be fired...
When does a manager deserved to get fired?
It seems that some of you have enough excuses as to why Willie should have this job for life.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,240 times
This Mets "team" was not put together with any Randolph input. If Randolph gets canned, it should be after Minaya gets his walking papers, not before.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:21 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
This Mets "team" was not put together with any Randolph input. If Randolph gets canned, it should be after Minaya gets his walking papers, not before.
This is correct the gm has to bear some responsibility for this horrific team also,and the team is giving up not playing hard, they are trying to get him fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
My question is to the people who believe that Willie should not be fired...
When does a manager deserved to get fired?
It seems that some of you have enough excuses as to why Willie should have this job for life.
When he is given all the right tools and talent and he still can't produce wins, this team is old and injury prone,they need more fresh, young talent.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.man View Post

When he is given all the right tools and talent and he still can't produce wins, this team is old and injury prone,they need more fresh, young talent.

The team is a below .500 club since last June.
The only position that has not carried its weight for the entirety of those 160 games is at 1st base. No team is complete. No team can boast hitters and fielders at all positions and a solid starting staff with the complete bullpen.

Should this team drop Carlos Delgado?
Absolutely, but it probably will not.

Should Minaya have signed a guy with two bad knees to a four year contract to play 2nd base?
Definitely not.

But this team is better than what they are playing. They are uninspired.
I am still waiting for a good answer as to why Willie should not be fired...because there is no team out there that has been given all of the tools.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:44 AM

941 posts, read 2,303,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
The team is a below .500 club since last June.
The only position that has not carried its weight for the entirety of those 160 games is at 1st base. No team is complete. No team can boast hitters and fielders at all positions and a solid starting staff with the complete bullpen.

Should this team drop Carlos Delgado?
Absolutely, but it probably will not.

Should Minaya have signed a guy with two bad knees to a four year contract to play 2nd base?
Definitely not.

But this team is better than what they are playing. They are uninspired.
I am still waiting for a good answer as to why Willie should not be fired...because there is no team out there that has been given all of the tools.
Have you seen this pitching staff? They suck also, Pedro continues to get hurt, Santana keeps giving up bombs and hits, along with Perez and Pelfrey,the bullpen is shaky.Ok now the outfield Alou hurt always,Chaves cant hit, Church concussions constantly,Beltran looks like $hit,the others are no names.Infield Reyes is a human error machine all of a sudden, Wright is on and off, Delgado is done,Castillo is done,Schneider is trash. The list can go on this team is just a$$

Old 05-28-2008, 06:48 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,313,240 times
On paper they may be better, but the games aren't played on paper. This is a collection of individuals, nothing more than that; they are a team only in the sense that they wear the same uniform. Talented individuals will only get you so far when none of them play for anyone other than themselves. Do you think they give a crap if they win or lose? They're getting paid either way. That's not the motivation of a good team, much less a great one.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Do you think they give a crap if they win or lose? They're getting paid either way. That's not the motivation of a good team, much less a great one.
Do you really believe that anyone who goes onto a ballfield doesn't care if they win?
As for motivation, Randolph should be the one providing it.

Quote:
Have you seen this pitching staff? They suck also, Pedro continues to get hurt, Santana keeps giving up bombs and hits, along with Perez and Pelfrey,the bullpen is shaky.Ok now the outfield Alou hurt always,Chaves cant hit, Church concussions constantly,Beltran looks like $hit,the others are no names.Infield Reyes is a human error machine all of a sudden, Wright is on and off, Delgado is done,Castillo is done,Schneider is trash. The list can go on this team is just a$$
Rick Peterson should be held accountable for the pitching staff.
Pitching staff suck?
Not really, would you rather have the pitching staffs of several other NL teams (Nats, Giants...etc.)
Santana bothers me. He is not the guy that the Twins had, but he also had an awful stretch late last year and I wonder if something is wrong.
Perez is a head case and has been told by management to calm his act down and to pitch and not throw from five different angles.
Maine looks really good.
Pelfrey looks like he is not ML material.

Church was having a great season until he injured himself. Chavez needs some more AB's.

Beltran and Reyes need a manager to light a fire under their asses.

Do you fire the team, or do you clean house of Randolph, his staff and Minaya?
I would fire Randolph and Minaya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball