Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I always thought that eventually Piazza would have wound up with the Phillies, since he grew up in the Philly area. But I guess around the same time he was in his prime was when we had Mike Lieberthal. Plus, the Phils were notoriously cheap when Piazza was in his prime.
At that time, the Phillies were more interested in spending their money on stabilizing the middle of the infield, they had very high turnover and inconsistent productivity in the late 1990's through 2000. Piazza really wasn't going to provide significant increased productivity over what was anticipated from Lieberthal, who also had received a large bonus as a very high first round draft pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:33 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Now that we beat this topic for a while, let me twist it a little. If Piazza is elected to the HOF, do you think he should be allowed to choose if he wants to go as a Dodger or Met? I think the MLB changed it where they pick the team and not the elected HOF member. That's asinine. I know they did it b/c Wade Boggs went in as a TB Devil Ray (I think) instead of a Red Sox, but so what? It should be the HOF recipient's choice what team he wants to represent in the HOF, as long as he at least played at least 1 official game w/ that team. Yet another reason for me to hate on Bud Selig.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Now that we beat this topic for a while, let me twist it a little. If Piazza is elected to the HOF, do you think he should be allowed to choose if he wants to go as a Dodger or Met? I think the MLB changed it where they pick the team and not the elected HOF member. That's asinine. I know they did it b/c Wade Boggs went in as a TB Devil Ray (I think) instead of a Red Sox, but so what? It should be the HOF recipient's choice what team he wants to represent in the HOF, as long as he at least played at least 1 official game w/ that team. Yet another reason for me to hate on Bud Selig.
He's in as a red sox (boggs), but he wanted to go in as Devil Ray.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
He's in as a red sox (boggs), but he wanted to go in as Devil Ray.
Oh, I thought he went in as a Devil Ray, and then the MLB changed the rule. In any case, it should be his right to choose and not Selig's or some silly committee's.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
I think he should go in as a Dodger.
When he was with the Dodgers he was a consistently great player.
As a Met not nearly as much. His legacy as a Met will go down as mediocre.
Get over yourselves Mets fans

Old 06-11-2008, 10:37 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
When you read his retirement statement and compare what he said to the Dodgers ...

I would like to start off by thanking Peter O'Malley and the Dodger organization for giving me the opportunity 20 years ago ... you gave me birth to a life that never in my wildest dreams did I think was possible.

and what he said to the Mets ...

I'd like to thank Fred Wilpon, Nelson Doubleday and the New York Mets organization for giving me an opportunity to fulfill yet another dream, playing in a World Series. Steve Phillips, for not just bringing me to New York, but for having the confidence and vision to keep me in a Met uniform long-term. Within the eight years I spent in New York, I was able to take a different look at the game of baseball ... I wasn't just a young kid that was wet behind the ears anymore -- I was learning from other veteran guys like Johnny Franco, who taught me how to deal with the pressures of playing in New York and Al Leiter who knew what it took to win a World Championship. That knowledge is what helped me play for as long as I have and enjoy the career that I had. I'd like to thank New York Mets clubhouse manager, Charlie Samuels for always being on the same page and one step ahead of me.

I think it's pretty clear he will go in as a Met. Most of his games and at bats came as a Met and his record-breaking home run giving him most as a catcher also came as Met.

Charley

Old 06-25-2008, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 6,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
Considering the always moronic Skip Bayless feels the same way, would you like to reconsider your position based simply on that?

Piazza should go in as a Dodger. He came up as a Dodger and established his career reputation as a Dodger. If it weren't for the Dodgers, Tommy Lasorda in particular, throwing his father a bone, Piazza might not have even been drafted.
How can you say that? All of his best numbers came with the Mets, He was with the Mets longer too.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I think he should go in as a Dodger.
When he was with the Dodgers he was a consistently great player.
As a Met not nearly as much. His legacy as a Met will go down as mediocre.
Get over yourselves Mets fans
Your a fool, He had more HR's as a Met, More RBI's, More hits, SLG% was higher, OBP% was higher, and he was with the Mets longer. so You were saying?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DravenX View Post
He shouldn't go into the HOF.
He has over 2000 hits, a life time batting average of 308, a slugging% above 560, almost 500 HR, 1500 Rbi's. He has been rated best offensive catcher of all time. My advice to you is know what your talking about before you post a comment

Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT555 View Post
He has over 2000 hits, a life time batting average of 308, a slugging% above 560, almost 500 HR, 1500 Rbi's. He has been rated best offensive catcher of all time. My advice to you is know what your talking about before you post a comment
Probably one of the best offensive catchers in the NL, I'll give you that. But clearly one of the worst defensive catchers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball